GL1800Riders Forums banner

Progressive Monotubes vs Progressive Springs?

3K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  weengers 
#1 ·
I have a bad fork seal and wondering since I'll have it apart what to go with. The Progressive springs are about 1/3 of the cost of PMT. I read mostly good reviews on both and have had progressive springs before on my Valkyries and VTX. For those that have either one or both which would you go with? Just trying to get an idea what to do. Are the PMT that good or just a lotta hype? All input is appreciated TIA!

#2 ·
I've got the Progressive springs in my forks right now, and the suspension is firm, and handles well. I have a set of PMT's waiting to be installed, but haven't got there just yet. For me the advantage of the PMT's is that they allow both fork tubes to do the same job. Both support the bike and provide dampening, where as in the normal configuration, the right tube does most of the dampening and the left the anti dive functions. Although more expensive, I'd go with the PMT's as long as you're in there. Better ride and no more blown seals.

#3 ·
I have not installed the monotubes, I wanted to but cost was a factor. I installed the springs and as I did on all of my previous wings. They firmed up the front end nicely.

Reactions: Big Tee
#7 ·
I have the mono tubes in my 2013. I had them in my 2007 for 30-40 thousand miles also. I love them and have installed on two of my friends GL1800 also. YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 ·
If you are going to do only springs call Traxxion. They offer a range of spring rates. Not a one rate fits all like progressive.

I had PMT on my 01. Worked great until Bambi totalled the bike

Had Progressive springs on my 03. Better than stock but still a lot of static sag for this big boy. 300+lbs

Have Traxxion 1.2 on my 06. They are just right for me.

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I had the Progressive springs on my '03, they were an improvement over stock. Then the MonoTubes came out. They were much better than the springs so I skipped the springs and went right to the MonoTubes for my '10. I had the first generation MonoTubes on the '03, they had not failed when I finally sold it. I have third generation, (I think), on my '10 and they are doing just fine.

On both bikes I rebuilt the forks, added a Rocky Tree on the '03, an aluminium billet tree on the '10, (since switched out for another Rocky Tree), a new rear shock trike take-off and Progressive rear spring, all at the same time so I don't know what just doing the MonoTubes feels like but the front suspension was way better at absorbing bumps and gave a much more planted feel in the corners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.