GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been 3 shows so far has anyone gone? I went last year to Cleavland just to see the Honda display. I am still looking for a replacement seat and wondering if any of the Goldwing seat vendors where at the shows.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Got my tickets already for VIP early entry. In DC

·
Registered
14 Posts
I attended the Progressive Motorcycle show in Nov 2017 & 2018 in Long Beach the last two years. The most recent was disappointing. They only had the 2018 model and only had 2 wings on display. I was hoping to see Wingsoft or Gold Strike or an even F4 windshield vendor to spend some money. Nada.

On the other hand the 2017 show is where I saw the New Wing for the first time. They had every color and Tour and Non Tours on display. What an amazing time. Picked my White DCT in Aug 2018 and still smiling.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have gone to the show for the past 25+ years. I went to the Long Beach show again this year and enjoyed it. I doubt you will see any seat vendors. Most of them are in California and they don't even go to that one. I think they all have more than enough business then to have to spend all that money and time going to a show. The last time I saw Corbin at a show was 15 years ago at the Seattle show.

CEDRIX,

It is normal for the manufactures to only have one or two of each model at a show like this. Last year was the kickoff for the new wing. They had everything out to generate interest. It is in it's second year now. They are not going to use up the expansive floor space to have every example of each model. They had a touring with DCT and a non touring with a manual, That covered the GW line.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've been going for a number of years (Long Beach) and don't recall seeing any seat vendors there.

I know Rocky (Bill Mayer Saddles) attends several of the big national rallies and does custom seats while you wait (if you've made an appointment). I have his seat on my Norge. It transitioned the bike from being a multi- 500 mile day bike to a multi-800+ mile a day bike. Find his website and see what he is up to.

The bikes being shown during the beginning of the 2017 show season were all the Goldwings in the states at the time, which is why they were on display, but not available for demo.

jdg

·
Registered
209 Posts
Went to the one in NY last month and thought it was well done. Lots of bikes, both on/off road. Too may cheesy vendors as usual,selling BS stuff. I enjoyed it, went with three good friends and had a great day out of it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was at Dallas and will go to CLE show too. No seat vendors that I recall. I think Cleveland is on of the bigger shows. May be more vendors but I don't recall a seat vendor there last year either.

The show has been reflecting the no growth state of the industry. I understand it was bigger in the past But still,fun to look and talk.

PM me for tickets to the shows. I'm an employee.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been doing the Progressive IMS show tour for many years now ( I don't work for the company that puts on the tour, but with a vendor). The shows have been getting smaller and smaller over the years. I was not at the Long Beach or Dallas shows but my co worker that was said that they were good shows this year. The Show in NYC was ok, but a lot slower and smaller than the last few years. The Cleveland show is up next. It is a top 3 show as far as attendance (NYC #1, Chicago #2) but the amount of vendors has gone down. I don't think i ever seen a seat vendors at any of the shows. I think a big hurtle that the aftermarket manufactures look at when they think about this show is the expense. Show booths are not cheap. I know what the show costs for the company I work for and what the budget to per show is to have the booth maned. It can be a big gamble if the company is not getting a good return on the investment. Yes, other factors do apply to doing any show(staffing availability, conflict with other shows, ETC). There are a few OEM manufactures that didn't have booths at all the show stops last year and i'm sure a few will be missing from the smaller shows again this year. Yes, the industry is down. It has been down for years now. Hopefully it gets better soon.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
731 Posts
I go to the Chicago show every year, and this year will be my 29th year. Its my middle of the winter motorcycle fix and a good day with old friends that used to ride and like staying in touch with the sport at least this one day a year. But as others have said, the last few years have seen the show getting smaller and smaller. Less brands represented, less new bikes on display, less vendors selling less gear. The last few years I have come home with nothing but the show t-shirt as a purchase. This year my plan is to look at lighter bikes, like the CB1100EX if Honda keeps making this model, as my next bike when the Goldwing gets too heavy me in my old age.

Reactions: cycledude
1 - 10 of 10 Posts