GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I`m thinking about buying progressive shock springs for the front and the rear and was wondering if anyone had info on the change and how hard it is to do. Thanks Lynn

·
Registered
226 Posts
you MUST have a honda service manual
with the book any good shade tree mechanic
can do this but i suggest you read the procedure
and decide for your self
one thing i did was to remove both saddelbags and
trunk as a unit....you will need to be able to hang a
come-a-long above the trunk to do this....it`s real
easy
also check out www.pbase.com/fredharmon

·
Registered
226 Posts
one other thing....you will need the rear
shock spring removal tool..or the ability
to make your own
AND yes it well worth the time and money

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Rear progressive......

I had mine done by Phil Flack rally services at honda hoot this past June. I watched the tech do the work. He DID NOT remove the saddlebags or trunk, he did loosen one saddle bag on the right hand side standing from the rear. They had their own special tool to remove the shock. I'm thinking they took 1.5 hours front and rear.
JD

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. I don't believe that any part of the trunk or saddlebags needs to be removed. The fuel tank, probably. You can unplug both connectors and remove the 3 mounting bolts and the bottom shock bolt simply by removing the seat and the right side frame cover. The top shock bolt will probably require the fuel tank to be removed or at least lifted out of the way. I am assuming tht the shock absorber assembly lifts out the top after it is unbolted.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Did both at separate times. Front fork spring replacements is a snap once you get the top shelter off to expose the fork caps. Rear shock is another story. Did it last night and took me all night due to all the parts that have to be removed (especially removing the tank which aint easy on airbag models) to get to the shock. I didnt have the spring compressor tool and wish I had gotten it. Do yourself a favor and get it. I used the ratchet strap and lift method I learned about on this site. It works but requires you to completely remove the shock and preloader to accomplish it. If I had the tool, I would have been able to mount the shock in the top bracket and do the spring replacement there. Without it, I had to loosen the sidebag and remove the preloader to get the combined preloader/shock onto my lift and strap it down to compress the spring enough to release the compression ring. Short story, get the tool.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Did both at separate times. Front fork spring replacements is a snap once you get the top shelter off to expose the fork caps. Rear shock is another story. Did it last night and took me all night due to all the parts that have to be removed (especially removing the tank which aint easy on airbag models) to get to the shock. I didnt have the spring compressor tool and wish I had gotten it. Do yourself a favor and get it. I used the ratchet strap and lift method I learned about on this site. It works but requires you to completely remove the shock and preloader to accomplish it. If I had the tool, I would have been able to mount the shock in the top bracket and do the spring replacement there. Without it, I had to loosen the sidebag and remove the preloader to get the combined preloader/shock onto my lift and strap it down to compress the spring enough to release the compression ring. Short story, get the tool.

You do realize this threads BOD (Born n Date) is 12-28-2003 Right? I know some guys take their time,But I'm sure the OP has it installed by now..lol

·
Registered
290 Posts
Rear shock compressor tool

Doesn't someone on this board have one of these that they lend out?:lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
rear spring removal

Has Anyone seen the home made rear spring removal tool on craigs list? Does it work? Can't find the progressive with the collar.

Thanks for any help,
LJD

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Has Anyone seen the home made rear spring removal tool on craigs list? Does it work? Can't find the progressive with the collar.

Thanks for any help,
LJD
LJD. A friend makes the exact same copy of the Progressive tool. I'll PM you his info.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
LJD. A friend makes the exact same copy of the Progressive tool. I'll PM you his info.
Would you send it to me too Rocky? I'm planning to replace the rear spring on my '05 this Winter. Any preference between Progressive, Traxxion or Race Tech rear springs?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Can you change the rear spring in the bike leaving bottom connected?
I posted this same question a month or so ago.. and the answer is YES. I made my own shock spring compressor tool from pictures of the Progressive tool and it works great. Easy to make too.. if you can weld a bit.
After removing the fuel tank and the top shock bolt, I slightly jacked up the swing-arm. This lifted the top of the rear shock enough that changing the spring was easy.
No need to mess with the saddle bags or trunk. I had previously topped off the hyd fluid in the shock pump assembly. So this was not necessary when I changed the shock spring.

There are lots of really great posts here on how to do the job.:thumbup: Use the search.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi All,
I decided to go progressive mono-tubes and springs, all balz stem bearings, new(er) rear shock w/progressive spring on my 01 1800 w/55k on it, i also purchased Fred's excellent video collection, after viewing the procedure i casually asked for the cost to have my local dealer do it (while getting ready to purchase the new fork oil) and much to my surprise they quoted me about 5 hrs labor! (79/hr) ..... even with a tech school background in automotive, i decided that the time plus the tools i would need to buy (or make) just didn't make sense (to me), so I had them do it.....(610 total w/bushings, oil, etc), best decision of 2013.....i have only been able to put 5 miles on the bike (bad weather) but it seems much better....it does sit taller (i'm sending the seat to http://www.meancitycycles.com/ to lower it), i don't think the ADV will be needed, i think all the clunks will be gone. i never had the wobble (and still don't), i plan on replacing the tires (ct on back...), i guess my point is you may wanna see how much a dealers charges if you are unsure of doing it yourself......for me it worked out well, your mileage may vary.....after i finish viewing the remaining 4 disc's i think i'll be putting Fred's videos up for sale..... for me it just makes the most Cents......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts