GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my wing is torn down for the frame re-weld, now would be the best time to install it (I think!). I know I want the Progressive fork springs, but is the rear spring a noticable improvement? I do like to ride "sporty"!

For those who have installed it, does the whole shock assembly have to come out of the bike? Or can it be done from underneath with the upper shock mount still attached? Manual shows tank removal necessary for total removal of shock, but it seems the spring could be changed without taking the whole shock out.

Thanks for any opinions!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The entire shock must be removed from its mounts, because the spring comes off the top of the shock after the hydraulic unit has been removed. The top mount can be removed, without removal of the top shelter and fuel tank, by reaching in from the sides with appropriate socket/extension bar. Some folks remove the hydraulic unit from the shock while it's dangling by the hydraulic hose underneath the bike . But it's a lot safer to remove the entire unit according to OEM instructions, including hoses and electric motor, and clamp the lower eye in a vise. Whichever way you go with it, do not loosen or remove any hose fittings.

Stu

·
Registered
226 Posts
is it worth it...yes
i thought about doing what stu o said but opted
for compleat tear down juat so i could get
the shock in a vise....you will need a tool to
remove the spring......i made my own
one thing that worked well for me was
removing tour pac(bags&trunk) as a unit

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I was just wondering this, since you change the rear spring out, will the new one be adjustable also? Probably so, but just not completely sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts