GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Vendor
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

We got our shipment of Progressive Spring Tools in last week, and as promised I got one of the Model 5508 which some people may have inadvertently ordered, to try it.

The correct part number for the GL18 is 5509. This includes a special split aluminum spacer that pushed down on the hydraulic collar.

The price difference is significant, I think 5508 is $35 and 5509 is $55.

Some people suggested they would buy the cheaper tool, and try and make their own push ring.

Anyway, the hook in the 5508 that grabs the top of the shock is too big of a diameter to pass throught the hole. So it is a moot point. The 5508 tool WILL NOT work on the GL1800. So make SURE you get the 5509.

:D

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Max I'm glad You told Me before I recieved My order I called and changed it and got the correct one, their website was not correct at extreem and they were great on fixing the problem and the website, good folks, thanks much

G

·
I'm glad the shipment of spring compressor tools have arrived. Hopefully you can now fill my order, Ive been waiting for my fork springs, rear shock, rear shock spring and removal tool for a couple weeks. I can't wait to tear the bike apart to install these new items. :D

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Max.You forget your medication again??

Try reading the post,and you "Clearly SEE" that I and Extremerevolution,Corrected the information..!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... c&start=25

My Corrected post in that link:

After reading what upssnowman had just posted,I called Xtreme Revolution and was told due to the high volume off orders they were receiving,They checked with Progressive,and said their web page was incorrect.

They have since added the correct part number and wording to say that the 5509 is the correct tool for the rear shock spring removal,and their price of $51 is still lower than the 59.95 MSRP.

Good luck with finding your med's before you post again. :shock:

·
Vendor
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rocky said:
After reading what upssnowman had just posted,I called ...checked with Progressive,and said their web page was incorrect.

They have since added the correct part number and wording to say that the 5509 is the correct tool for the rear shock spring removal...

Good luck with finding your med's before you post again. :shock:

Thanks for pointless, mindless, childish, personal attack there, Rocky.

What I did, for the benefit of the members of this board, was buy both tools, to see if the less expensive one could be made to work by a do it yourselfer.

My post was simply to update that even a person with astounding personal capabilities, and a home based personal machine shop, could not make the extra part at home, and use the less expensive kit to do the job (as actually it was you suggested, as you would easily be able to whip up for about $5).

I actually had thought the same thing when I was at Progressive. But anyway, I simply confirmed that it wasn't possible so that nobody bought the wrong tool to try and save the $20.

8)

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Oh so that's how you see it huh???

You know dam well you took this opportunity to slame me,and you know it.
I don't care what frosting you put on your Ego,I can see right through you!

The correct information was posted for anyone who was interested in the tool,and you know it..!
Their was no need for this post other than to pat yourself on the back."That is pointless,mindless,Very Childish and Egotistical on your part"
You have a problem with that? Look in the mirror and blame him!

The difference between you and me is,I don't need to stroke my Ego in a public forum,You on the other hand,seem to enjoy such pleasure.Your postings (Could be considered Ratings by some as well) reflect these observations.

What ever floats your boat..

Have a good day. 8)

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Rocky said:
Oh so that's how you see it huh???

You know dam well you took this opportunity to slame me,and you know it.
I don't care what frosting you put on your Ego,I can see right through you!

The correct information was posted for anyone who was interested in the tool,and you know it..!
Their was no need for this post other than to pat yourself on the back."That is pointless,mindless,Very Childish and Egotistical on your part"
You have a problem with that? Look in the mirror and blame him!

The difference between you and me is,I don't need to stroke my Ego in a public forum,You on the other hand,seem to enjoy such pleasure.Your postings (Could be considered Ratings by some as well) reflect these observations.

What ever floats your boat..

Have a good day. 8)
You mean this post Rocky?

Rocky said:
"Max.Although their is two different part numbers,and from your posting of these part numbers,I can see that the only difference between the two tools is the "spacer" that goes between the bottom on the tool and the pre-load adjuster.

I'm sure you'll agree that for the difference of $28.25 it would be easier to either make a spacer or use two pieces of 1/8 flat stock to do the same job..I'm not cheap in the least,But $28 for a curved washer is rediculous.

$31.70 tool
http://www.xtremerevolution.com/store/s ... -tool.aspx

$59.95 Progressive Tool
http://www.wingworx.com/index.asp?PageA ... ProdID=894
At a lower price than some too.

Progressive Tool PDF
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/PD ... 52-002.pdf

But thank you for pointing out the differences,so those who buy this lower costing tool will know that the very over priced spacer isn't included..
DSI#29
You're just pissed and imbarressed that your cheapness (is that a word) was the wrong advice and would cause problems for people who follow it.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Obviously, this was the post he meant.
Rocky said:
After reading what upssnowman had just posted,I called Xtreme Revolution and was told due to the high volume off orders they were receiving,They checked with Progressive,and said their web page was incorrect.

They have since added the correct part number and wording to say that the 5509 is the correct tool for the rear shock spring removal,and their price of $51 is still lower than the 59.95 MSRP.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Ah yes nedro..Your the one who should be Embarrassed!

Had you read the whole thread,you too would see that I had already posted the "Corrected" information.

Just can't wait to post without reading the whole story can you?

Weengers;Thank you for pointing out what nedro failed to read or see!

·
Registered
439 Posts
If you really want to go to all the work, you can make the 5508 Progressive tool work. I only say this because I could only get my hands on that tool at the time I was doing some work.

Being the cobbler, and shade tree mechanic that I am, I took a piece (actually a threaded pipe joint that would fit on top of the shock) of pipe, cut out a notch to clear the pre-load connector, and straightened out a steel eye bolt that was a close enough diameter for the bolt hole.

Like I said, I had to use what I had, but I would get the right tool if I have to do it again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.