GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a Progressive Spring compressor tool that you would be willing to either sell or loan to me?
I have had one on order for a couple weeks now, and it is backordered from Progressive. I have searched high and low, called/emailed vendors, no one has one that I can find.
We have an East Coast trip coming up in a couple weeks and I really would like to have my rear spring changed out prior to the trip. The wife's back is getting tired of getting hammered by the stock spring.

Anyway, let me know if you have one I can borrow or buy.

Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is another source. Call and se if it is in stock.
http://www.traxxion.com/ShockSpringCompressor.aspx

770-592-3823

Good luck!
Thanks, Ron. I will give them a call as soon as I get home. I hope that the picture they use is generic.....that is not the tool that Progressive says I need for a GL1800, it is the one for a dual rear shock cruiser. Maybe they don't have a pic of the required one???

Joe

·
Registered
927 Posts
Joe
PM with your address and I will loan you mine that I used when I changed my OEM shock & spring to the Traxxion ones.
Ken

·
Registered
224 Posts
Progressive Rear Spring - no longer produced

By the way, I talked to a Progressive Rep and they stopped selling the rear spring. However, they still sell the front springs. What inventory of the rear springs would be at the distributors. It concerns me the reason why they stop selling the rear spring. He would not provide an answer. Here the cut/paste comments from his email:

Kris,
Unfortunately we no longer produce a rear shock for your motorcycle. We do however have a fork spring kit # 11-1521 available. The springs are .71/1.16 kg per mm, so they are a definite upgrade from the stock springs. You can order them directly from our webpage.

Thank You,
Bryce Carlson

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way, I talked to a Progressive Rep and they stopped selling the rear spring. However, they still sell the front springs. What inventory of the rear springs would be at the distributors. It concerns me the reason why they stop selling the rear spring. He would not provide an answer. Here the cut/paste comments from his email:

Kris,
Unfortunately we no longer produce a rear shock for your motorcycle. We do however have a fork spring kit # 11-1521 available. The springs are .71/1.16 kg per mm, so they are a definite upgrade from the stock springs. You can order them directly from our webpage.

Thank You,
Bryce Carlson

Hmm.....he said they no longer produce the rear shock. I know they did offer a complete rear shock at one time, that is what I would understand him to be saying. Possibly still making and selling the replacement spring?

Joe

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think the distributors still have the springs available. I asked and he said I could not purchase any rear springs for a GL1800 from Progressive Suspension. I don't think any other manufacturer is producing progressive springs. I could be wrong.

Given this situation, I going to look at Racetech springs (maybe the full shock replacement).

·
Registered
689 Posts
I ordered on from Wingstuff and had it in less than a week. Just waiting for a local Indy shop to get his new spring compressor because he broke his trying to install the spring. I got lucky and he is only charging me 15 bucks to install. I will put it on the MC myself.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Joe
The spring tool is on it's way via U S Priority Mail. If you have Saturday delivery at your business you might get lucky and see it on Saturday.
Ken

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again, Ken. I will be gone this weekend but plan on starting to tear her down on Monday evening.
You are a lifesaver!

Joe

·
Registered
116 Posts
Traxxion no longer use the stock shock but use one built for them by Penske. I'm sure those springs are a different size. So they no longer have use for a stock spring.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought one on ebay, had it in four days . I am putting Hyper pro springs on the wing next week.

Ride Safe
Was it the 32-5509 part number? I looked on ebay for one but couldn't find it. Found plenty of the 32-5508, which is supposedly not the right one for use on the GW shock.

Joe

·
Registered
82 Posts
Was it the 32-5509 part number? I looked on ebay for one but couldn't find it. Found plenty of the 32-5508, which is supposedly not the right one for use on the GW shock.

Joe
It was the 32-5509 . I bought it back in June. Most places I looked they were on back order.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts