GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little confused about quoted times and costs (that I have read on the forums) regarding the installation of progressive springs on a 06 GL1800.

From a Honda Dealer I was quoted

5.1 Hours @ $75.00/Hr plus parts for front Suspension = $382.50+Parts

2.5 Hours @ $75.00/Hr plus parts for rear Suspension = $187.50+Parts

I'm in Massachusetts and labor costs are higher, but it is the time quoted to do the job I have questions about.

Any opinions?

Thanks...

Pete

·
Registered
818 Posts
FRONT SPRINGS ONLY-PROGRESSIVE

Had the front only installed during Biketoberfest in Daytona. $ 186.32 and I was rolling. Replaced the springs,changed the fork oil, and was complete in about an hour. Great ride and for some unknown reason, the wobble was reduced also. Some others say the springs do not have any bearing on the wobble, but I can only relate to my experience. No other mods were mad. Will re-torque the steering head bearings soon. Maybe that will do it for me. Would like the Traxxion set-up, but just can't afford it due to other financial obligations. Most shops in my area charge $100-115 per hr. for labor. Just the cost of doing business I guess. Heard that you can change the front yourself if knowledgeable. Seemed pretty simple as I watched mine being done. Good luck.

DEPUTY DAWG :cop2:
05 DARK GREY C.E.A

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
slimer said:
From a Honda Dealer I was quoted

5.1 Hours @ $75.00/Hr plus parts for front Suspension = $382.50+Parts

2.5 Hours @ $75.00/Hr plus parts for rear Suspension = $187.50+Parts

Pete
Sounds a bit back-a$$wards. The rear is the hard one to do.

Not going to take the Traxxion plunge and change the dampers up front too?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
Sounds a bit back-a$$wards. The rear is the hard one to do.
I agree. I can have the front end done and laying on the garage floor in 45 min to an hour. The rear shock is more time consuming, although I have done both front and back in 3 hours or less. Install time is at least 1.5 to 2X. All in all, their total time isn't far off; it just gets expensive at their rates!!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
>>Not going to take the Traxxion plunge and change the dampers up front too

Well that is my other option... I do not know if this dealership will remove the front end and rear shock, ship it to Traxxion then reinstall it. It will mean the bike sits around their shop for close to 2 weeks.

Pete

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
$75 is pretty typical, but the time quoted in way out of wack. I am slow at performing most work on cars and bikes, and I can still do it much faster than they quoted you, and that is without a lift.

If that is the kind of times they allow, I should quit my job and become a bike mechanic. I sure could use less pressure.

Deputy Dawg,
Just about anything that you change on the suspension, front or rear, can have an effect on the wobble. As you probably know, it doesn't mean that you solved the problem however. It just means that you affected its tendency to oscillate. Change the rear shock and spring as well as do Fred's pre-load fix and it might improve it even further.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
That does seem high.. When I got the bike, I had it done on delivery.. It was 450 including the springs.. The quote must be backward; the front can be done in an hour.. the rear is more complicate, but still the whole thing seems a bit much, even for the Right Coast.. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Why?

Why all the changing? what are the performance results of changing to progressive suspension? Do that handle sharp bups better? increase ride comfort?

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
Re: Why?

raider-rider said:
Why all the changing? what are the performance results of changing to progressive suspension? Do that handle sharp bups better? increase ride comfort?
The answer is yes and yes.
Japanese OEM suspensions in general are not really all that great to begin with on most bikes, and even the ones that are well designed are basically shot by the time you hit 40,000 miles, especially springs. They are also typically too weak for most riders because the mfr wants to give the illusion of a soft plush ride. Progressive also offers two or three different levels of stiffness for many bikes to tailor the bike to the riders.

Progressive Suspension uses true progressively wound springs, which gives better handling and the ability to absorb shock better. I don't know if the Wing has progressive wound springs, but most Jap bikes don't.

For those who find the wobble annoying, changing the suspension can change the resonant frequency of the steering and reduce or eliminate the wobble.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Does the Wing's electronic suspension adjustment "plug n' play" with after-market shocks?

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
It doesn't really have an electronic suspension. It has an electric pre-load. The shock and spring are conventional. Yes, aftermarket replacements will work with the electric preload.

·
Registered
72 Posts
LarryM said:
It doesn't really have an electronic suspension. It has an electric pre-load. The shock and spring are conventional. Yes, aftermarket replacements will work with the electric preload.
Ah! Good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: Why?

LarryM said:
Progressive Suspension uses true progressively wound springs...
On the rear, that's true. Their front springs are just a dual-rate setup similar to OEM, but with different rates. If you want true progressively-wound fork springs, Hyperpro is the only option I'm aware of.

Stu

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
Thanks Stu. I have never used their fronts, just the rears, which work great. That's what happens when you assume I guess.

I wonder how the Progressive's compare against the new Traxxions setup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts