GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

What is the proper technique to lift the GW with a motorcycle lift? I have the Sears model and can't seem to get the desired results. Start w/center stand down/up? Where exactly should padded "rails" be placed to properly support the bike? I have the Tulsa belly-pan installed also.

Thanks in advance for the help. I've learned a great deal here just daily reading other's questions and experiences.

Ride Safe and God Bless ~~~ †

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Tig, side stand down, center up. You may have to have suspension all the way up, or rear tire and side stand on a 2X4 to get it high enough. Go in from the right side while holding up the bike by the handlebars. The rear pad will go under the center stand, the other towards the front. I don't have a belly pan, but have heard it may bend it a little? Be sure to use the tie down straps when you get it raised. Have fun. Mine worked fine. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Belly Pan is no problem.

No need to stand bike upright with my Larin. Bike on side stand.
Slide lift in from right side, positioning the rear lift arm below
the pivot of the centerstand. Jack bike up carefully...
it will come up straight as you jack (a little unnerving the first time you do it!) :shock:

G

·
0 Posts
Even though I returned the Sears lift and got a Pit Bull, here are the steps I used.
To Raise 1800:
1. Raise the suspension to 25
2. Place bike on the side stand with stand on 2x4
3. Insure wheel is turned toward side stand
4. Slide lift under bike
5. Place the left lift Pad under the pivot point for the center stand.
6. Push slightly on handlebar (toward side stand) with right hand
7. Using jack handle, slide lift under bike until centered. There will be some resistance
8. Hold right handle bar while raising
9. Raise until slight tire contact & front fork straight
10. Check jack positioning
11. Raise to one of three stop position
12. Insure safety lock is in place.
13. Stap bike to jack D-rings using tie-downs (optional)
To Lower:
1. Remove tie downs
2. Disengage safety lock
3. Lower jack until 2 inches before tire contact.
4. Check to insure 2x4 is properly positioned under side stand.
5. Continue to lower jack all the way down while gently pushing right handle bar turning wheel toward side jack
6. Verify 2x4 okay
7. Holding right handlebar pointing wheel into sidestand, pull jack out with handle.
Hope this helps.

G

·
0 Posts
Steve-

I don't use adapters....just bring her right up on the flat arms.
My rubber pads are a bit mangled in a couple of spots, but I think that happened lifting my Nomad. :oops:

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
The belly pan makes it a "nervous moment" since you can't see wht is under there to crush, but I took teh leap of faith and just did it. I put the left rubber pad up against the center stand at aobut the pivot -- there is a gap there that kinda fits, sort of. teh fornt pad just goes where it is, nothing to do about it. My Tulsa pan make a noise as the weight came onto it, but no observed damage. Just make sure the straps are on a part of the jack that is going up with the bike. Its fairly stable, but even the max lift is not really high enough to let you work from a regular chair. A mechanic's creeper is good to have to sit on, beats crawlling around on the floor.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
MrTig1800 - I use my Costco lift weekly and it's terrific for most every kind of job imaginable. Most recently a brake job yesterday and a new set of tires a couple of weeks ago.

My lift doesn't require any 2 x 4's to go beneath my Wing, whereas I know many with the similar Sear's lift which is slightly more fancy and $20 to $30 dollars more usually does. To properly lift my Wing, I simply slide it under my Wing while on it's side stand and have the forward pad immediately below the pad part of the foot brake. Lifts great and is well balanced, but if I am going to remove tires or be pushing or pulling on my bike I will usually attach 2 braces to keep it more secure.

It's not as fancy as the more costly models, but every bit as easy to do oil and filter changes, tire changes, brake jobs, front cowl removals, etc. etc. etc. and it was as good a $89. investment as I have ever made the past 20 months.

DaleC

·
Registered
939 Posts
My lift is about 1/4 inch to high to roll under the bike. I have 3 - 1X6 boards and I drive the bike on them. One under each tire and one under the sidestand. Thats all it takes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts