GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, there are thousands of bikes with high dollar CB's already installed. However, we all know how bad the AM type CB radio can get, so I propose that we all move (over time) to FRS which has noise free FM transmissions. GMRS would be even better due to it's higher power, but it requires an FCC license and some self-restraint. That license is no big deal, but it does cost $75 every 5 years. FRS has about a mile range in most real-life conditions that I've seen, and I've never seen it's range to be less than 3/4 mile. CB, on the other hand, can sometimes not even be heard on the next block. Under ideal conditions, though, CB can be heard for many miles, but that hardly ever happens. When riding in a pack, we probably don't need more than about a mile anyway, even when scattering to gas stations.

With one of the vendors connector kits, FRS/GMRS setups are chump change compared to Honda's > $500 charge for a lousy CB transceiver that can be easily bettered by a $69 Cobra unit. Also, we avoid paying $125 for the CB antenna that in any other market would cost about $19.95.

Just my thoughts...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts