GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to 1800 forum first post.
Found out from Sierra Electronics, the FM radio plug on the 06 has been changed and the single antenna kits will not work on the 06. ANYBODY have any suggestions as to where, if anywhere, i can get a single antenna kit that will work all audio on the 06 Wing? Just how can the Big Red get so proprietary on us all? Oh, yea, Big Red!
Really, any suggestions?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Apparently not - I talked to Sierra also and they don't make single for the 06 and I can't locate one anywhere else. If anyone has, plese let us kow.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I haven't seen the connector you're discussing. But if it's the antenna lead connector, I think I'd just replace it with a standard PL259 and use a Firestick splitter for the single antenna.

Stu

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
I am wondering if they are using the mini-Motorola connector. GM is the only company that I know that uses it so far. If it is, any car stereo shop would carry the adapter. I would like to see a picture of it.

It's not that difficult. Just lop that sucker off and put on the connector of your choice. You can use a standard Motorola connector or a PL259

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am running a Sierra single antenna on my 06. The lead that plugs into the radio under the shelter is a standard plug. I bought a 2 ft antenna lead extension and went from the radio to the spliter that came from Sierra and just left the antenna lead that is in the wiring harness unplugged. It works great. There was a lead that came with my Sierra antenna to go from the spliter to the factory radio lead (the one with the odd ball plug) but did not need it since I went straight to the radio. Sierra should include an antenna lead extension instead of the adapter that won't work anyway. A 18" extension would work but I could not find one.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You have to call and ask for it because it is not listed on the web site, it is a set of patch cables (about $12). I have a 06 and installed the radio and the single antenna from Sierra. They take each antenna and cut the SWR by mounting the antenna on a 1800 so your out of the box install should be ok. I checked mine during install and did not have to adjust SWR. :D

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Here's what I did.....may not be the perfect solution....you decide. I went thru the same scenario with Sierra. I wanted one antenna only so I got the CB and the Honda antenna and mounted it on the right side in place of the FM antenna. For the FM i found a relatively inexpensive telescoping antenna that I rigged into the radio antenna connector, and placed the antenna in the trunk mounted near the top and tied down with tie wraps.
Sounds cheesy I guess, but it works till the connector is located and someone makes up the splitter. I m not sure I really want a splitter cause they rob signal from the CB and my set-up works pretty well.
Costs about 25 bucks for the FM antenna.

FM signal is not nearly as picky as CB so the antenna is not as complicated.....many variations will work pretty well.

BTW.....no the 06 antenna connector is not standard Motorola....it looks the smae only is about half the diameter. The radio guy I worked with said it was a new style GM.....butit was not....it was pretty close but did not fit.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
steve s said:
Here's what I did.....may not be the perfect solution....you decide. I went thru the same scenario with Sierra. I wanted one antenna only so I got the CB and the Honda antenna and mounted it on the right side in place of the FM antenna. For the FM i found a relatively inexpensive telescoping antenna that I rigged into the radio antenna connector, and placed the antenna in the trunk mounted near the top and tied down with tie wraps.
I used a small hide-away powered am/fm antenna designed for show cars and stuck it in a cubby; works better than a mast.
For cb I have 4' Firefly.
Net result is clean and all works better than a typical Honda set-up.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
I used a small hide-away powered am/fm antenna designed for show cars and stuck it in a cubby; works better than a mast.
Net result is clean and all works better than a typical Honda set-up.
That's exactly how I had my '99SE set up. One visible antenna, no need for a splitter, and great performance from both antennas.

Stu

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
[quote="steve s":22dy6lz3]Here's what I did.....may not be the perfect solution....you decide. I went thru the same scenario with Sierra. I wanted one antenna only so I got the CB and the Honda antenna and mounted it on the right side in place of the FM antenna. For the FM i found a relatively inexpensive telescoping antenna that I rigged into the radio antenna connector, and placed the antenna in the trunk mounted near the top and tied down with tie wraps.
Net result is clean and all works better than a typical Honda set-up.[/quote:22dy6lz3]

And you said you got it at Frye's if I'm not mistaken. That's where i got my stuff and I asked about your type of antenna and no one knew anything about such a thing. Did you get it in the car audio section?
Do you have part numbers or name, or manufacturer, or any info where I might get one. For now I think mine is OK.....gut I haven't tried it out much yet.....may not be as good as I'd like.

thanks

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Bump for Arn But......Bill you got your ears on?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
silverado said:
Is there a blank (chrome) plate that covers where the unused antenna mount used to be?
I mounted my CB where theFM was so I don't know of such a chrome plate. Seems like I saw one advertised somehwere recently. I assume you want to cover a place that used to have an antenna?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
salyzyn said:
steve s said:
And you said you got it at Frye's if I'm not mistaken.
Yes he did according to http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... hp?t=58451 and http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... hp?t=64580 but no model number clues ...
Yea, maybe he'll chimein here shortly. I have searched the internet and many electronics stores with no luck. I'm gonna try and put a beteter groundon the one I am using tonight and see if that improves it at all. It's not horrible now, but "the tweaker" says..."it can always be better"!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have dual antennas and want to change to only one. If you just unscrew the antenna it leaves the base mount which isn't a clean look. I want to get rid of the antena and mount altogether. After my earlier post I talked to someone who did have a cover plate that came with another part he got from Kuryakyn.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have not purchased my CB yet so I don't understand wanting just one antenna. Is it for aesthetics or is there another reason?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts