GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use to protect the paint on your Wings and trailers? I say Wings because of the plastic body parts that some other bikes don't have. For years I've used Meguiar’s wax and polish. Now I'm thinking of using the Top Coat F11.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Several months ago I used AEROLON Show polish followed by an application of their Tech Shine, bike looks great and still beads water on it after a number of washings and a 3000 mile trip mostly in the rain.

Before applying the Tech Shine I detailed all the black plastic using Back to Black to get rid of the haze and put the black back into the pebble grain, it still looks great.
I am probably due for another round of Tech Shine.
Check them out at www.aerolon.com

Previously I was waxing about every third or fourth wash and had a hard time keeping the lower black textured panels looking good.

Reactions: Barrycuda67

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used Cycle Care on my 1500 for years and was really happy with it, but I switched to Turtle Wax Ice on the 1800. The Ice is less expansive and I can get it just about anywhere vs. having to purchase Cycle Care online. I've been using Ice on my truck and it really holds up, so I figured why have a separate product on the shelf for the bike. A few month ago Wing World did an article on different waxes/polishes which included a chart of each products claims. One thing that I really like about the Ice is it claims to protect against UV rays which is what you want with a Caliente Red 1800; I understand that the sun will fade that red quick.

·
Registered
792 Posts
ceramic coating. Much harder and more durable than wax.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Wax

F11 looks good but comes off the first time you wash with soap. You have to keep applying. Not worth the money in my opinion.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
F11 looks good but comes off the first time you wash with soap. You have to keep applying. Not worth the money in my opinion.
I was hoping someone that used F11 would post. Thanks.

That ceramic coating sounds good too. A friend has been using ICE by Turtle and is very happy with it.

The AEROLON Show polish and Tech Shine sounds good as well.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
i looked at the ceramic coating, it looks like it offers superior protection, what I did not like was that it has to be applied by an authorized dealer / installer. For my 6 year old bike with some normal wear and tear, I could not justify the cost after seeing how well the AEROLON products worked. If i were buying a new Goldwing, I would seriously consider the ceramic coating and have it applied as soon after I purchased the bike as possible.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
i looked at the ceramic coating, it looks like it offers superior protection, what I did not like was that it has to be applied by an authorized dealer / installer. For my 6 year old bike with some normal wear and tear, I could not justify the cost after seeing how well the AEROLON products worked. If i were buying a new Goldwing, I would seriously consider the ceramic coating and have it applied as soon after I purchased the bike as possible.

www.meguiars.com works for me, available at Wally world.:smile2:
I like the spray detailer.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
PPF and/or Ceramic coating.

I purchased the full package Xpel PPF kit and will install it on my Goldwing this Winter.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I'm a wash/waxing fanatic..... every time it rains I sit in my garage and wax her up... (I put on my head phones and rock out to my fav Led Zeppelin) (I'm using "Mother's wax)

Tip: use Mother's rim cleaner on your rims, this stuff make it look like you actually chromed your rims.....Good stuff!

Ronnie

·
Registered
792 Posts
Steve,

The price can be a tough pill to swallow, especially for an old tightwad like me. I have a guy that I have known for some time, a former co-worker, and he treated me fairly on the Cherokee, the RAM and the Valkyrie. I skipped the GL1500 as I couldn't justify the expense. When I bought the GL1800 I had him do it right away.

There are some DIY kits available but the coating locks in what you might already have for defects. scratches, etc. The professional detailer will do a complete clay bar treatment and paint correction before application. Like I said, I had to make several runs to the bottle redemption center but afterwards I was very happy and satisfied with the end result.

Andy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts