GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out their carry a firearm concealed on them or on their bike. My wife and I are going on a trip out west from Florida next summer. I never owned a gun but a thinking of it now. It seems that the way this country is headed, I thought of getting some kind of protection, maybe some sort of stun gun, tazer I think it's called, If it's legal to carry.
P.S. Has nothing to do with out west, just that this is where we are headed.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I have not, but once went on a ride to Canada with someone who did. I never thought it was needed but I always ride in a group.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Take a firearms safety class first. There's a nice range that you can go to in Markham Park.
Markham Park

There have been situations through the years where I would've felt better with a gun but I always managed to resolve them without. I used to travel alot with members of Plantation PD and BSO; some of those guys were armed to the teeth --- but again, we never needed any weapons bigger than a bottle opener.
It is a big decision. Don't make it lightly.

G

·
3MYTH8 said:
I have not, but once went on a ride to Canada with someone who did. I never thought it was needed but I always ride in a group.
Please leave your guns at home when visiting our country.We don't want them here! 8)

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
ricky said:
3MYTH8 said:
Please leave your guns at home when visiting our country.We don't want them here! 8)
A nice telescoping baton or Kabar works up there instead.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The thing is after getting your c.h.l. is check other states to see
if it's good there. I know Fl, Tx, ok, Az. are good. Ceck DPS web sight
and thats the best site "each state". I have had my chl about 10 yrs. now.
I have pulled it only for dogs (not related to Dawg) but I didn't get bit. :flg:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I've been in law enforcement for over 30 years and never carried a firearm when I went riding and never felt the need. My personal opinion (and I may get flamed for this) is that carrying a gun is just a good way to get into trouble. Many people pull out the gun figuring that it's the big "equalizer," only to find out that nearly anyone can take it away from them and use it against them. Even after taking a firearms safety course, one is not necessarily qualified to carry or use a gun. That requires a lot of responsibility and great deal of good judgement and street savvy. It's easy to pull out the shooter, but knowing when and how to use it (legally) is quite another thing. Few people are truly intimidate by the sight of a firearm in someone's hand. These days we do live in a society where gang violence is rampant and road rage is common. People would rather duke it out than talk it out. Sad state of affairs. I think if other folks know that or fear that motorcyclists carry guns, we're going to find ourselves being harrassed by the police who'll stop us merely to frisk us down to check for guns. The last thing we need is a throwback to the old outlaw biker gang days where all motorcyclists were feared. We've worked too hard to foster a good, positive image of motorcycles and their riders.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Fireball18 said:
... It's easy to pull out the shooter, but knowing when and how to use it (legally) is quite another thing. Few people are truly intimidate by the sight of a firearm in someone's hand. These days we do live in a society where gang violence is rampant and road rage is common. People would rather duke it out than talk it out. Sad state of affairs. ....
IMHO... the bad guys have guns, so I personally have no problem with good guys having guns too.

BUT, unless you are in your own home, you should NEVER reveal it (brandishing) until the situation has deteriorated to the point it is your last and only option. (i.e. your life is in jeopardy)

In our country, the chance of your needing it is close to zero, but during that very rare time it is needed, then it can be priceless. Meanwhile, just the fact you have it with you can bring you a lot of comfort and peace of mind, especially if you are camping instead of using a motel.

Lastly, if you are even thinking about travelling into Canada on your trip, leave your gun at home because you will NOT be welcome there if you have it with you.

·
Administrator
3,915 Posts
I've carried a firearm since I first started riding back in the late sixties, and I've had a concealed carry permit for about 12 years now. The only time my wife or I ever had to pull a gun for protection was not motorcycle-related, though.

Carrying a gun is a major decision. The consequences of pulling a gun at the wrong time or for the wrong reasons may prove to be life-changing. Too many people try to treat a weapon as if it were a magic wand. They think that all they have to do is wave a gun and all the problems disappear. That's when the problems really start!!!! Pulling a gun is the very last resort, and should be done only to protect life and limb.

If you're not willing to really learn and understand the consequences and responsibilities of carrying a gun, and become extremely familiar with your gun, you're probably better off traveling with groups and not venturing off the beaten path.

Personally, I never leave home without it, whether I'm on my bike, on foot, or in my car.

GlockJock

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I look at it this way... I don't ever want to shoot anyone.. but these days
there are some that will kill you for $10... so I pack a 9MM in my bike..My SO and I travel for vacations on my Wing.. and I darn sure will do what ever is necessary to protect her..
I will quote what my Dad use to say: "I would rather be tried by 12 ..than carried by 6"....

cosmic

·
Registered
98 Posts
After being in law enforcment for a long time, I have to agree with Fireball. I find that I am a much better witness than anything else. I seldom carry a gun anymore even though I have an unrestricted license. There just aren't that many times when you are anything but an additional problem. I agree that sometimes it is nice to have the piece around, but mostly I find those times are at home. It has been many years since I had a course in deadly force, but I remember a lot of the old days. I would absolutely hate to open fire in a crowded area and live with the fact that I might hurt or kill an innocent bystander. Back in my hey-days I thought a lot quicker and responded a lot faster. Even in uniform I only had my gun out once. If things hadn't changed that day, I might have fired it. As far as carrying a gun on the bike.......I would be afraid it would fall out of the holster and into the wrong hands. If it is in the trunk, it isn't available when you need it. Everyone has an opinion, this one is mine. Ken

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Firearms?

Shiel1,do you carry in your own neighborhood? If you feel safe riding unarmed in So. Fl.,IMO you'll be O.K. anywhere in this Country,with the possible exceptions of E. St. Louis,Mo. & Detroit,Mi.. :D
My thoughts?
Firearms locked in trunks or saddlebags are pretty much worthless.
Quick draw gunfights aren't likely to happen.
If the boogy man has you @ gunpoint, cooperation is my recommended course of action.
DO NOT attempt to take firearms into Canada. The penalties are severe.
Guns in the hands of inexperienced, nervous, untrained owners are scary objects indeed.
Alternatives to firearms?
Self defense courses. Being aware of your surroundings, & how you carry yourself can go along way in reducing your chances of becoming a victim.
Edged weapons,carried on the belt in a scabbord/case. As AB said,K-Bars are a useful tool.
Spray mace can also be effective.
FAST FEET!!! :D
Enjoy your trip. Your chances of being involved in a motorcycle wreck are greater,IMO, than needing a firearm.
I've travelled all over No. America by motorcycle & never NEEDED a firearm(yet).
Do I carry? Don't ask,don't tell!!
Stay safe,
the hobo

·
Registered
369 Posts
yupp i carry my s&w 45 most every where i can . been carrying for over 40 years. thankfuly i have never had to use it , but will to protect my faimly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
YOU SURE DO HAVE A RIGHT TO BE ARMED. I WOULD BE THE LAST PERSON TO SAY OTHERWISE.

However, consider this... Do you understand that it is only appropriate to use a firearm to stop a threat against life and great bodily injury.

Do you understand what "STOP THE THREAT " means? It means placing two well aimed shots in the center of the bad guys/gals chest and if that does not make them go down to place one shot in their HEAD.

NOW knowing this... Check with your "higher power" then pray that doing so is OK between you and your higher power. Then do some soul searching and ask yourself if it is OK with you to take anothers life.

GOOD now you are ready to take a CCW class and begin to learn the law as it applies to deadly force. Never carry smaller than 9mm, 40, or 45.

My final thoughts over the years I have lost too many brothers and sisters in law enforcement who did not consult with their higher power or themselves thus causing them to hesitate and they paid the ultimate price. THE GOOD GUY MUST ALWAYS BE THE WINNER THE BAD GUY THE LOOSER

·
Registered
210 Posts
I carry a 20 gauge, 28 and a quarter Inch long pistol grip single shot. Im a big guy who would rather fight than kill, but If i ever pulled a gun on someone, Id shoot. Learned that from a early age. Bad guys have guns so why not the good guys. :?:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ag fox had the best answer
I am required by my dept to carry anywhere I go, I feel sorry for those in Law Enforcement that "choose" not to carry, no matter how many years they have served I think it is a public saftey issue to have someone that is trained to take care, custody, and control of some situations.
It is your choice but you will never see this ole boy un- armed

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
The only thought I may add...IMHO when you are in a cage at least you can lock doors... on a bike you are not as protected... I pack a weapon
because of the unlikely event of a breakdown, flat or just sightseeing..
when I married my wife ..I promised to love and protect her... and I damm sure will do what ever is necessary to insure our safety....
I make a trip to the local pistol range regularly for shooting practice..
hope I never have to use a weapon in self defense...

cosmic

1 - 20 of 79 Posts