GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a post by Good_W2 about spilling his bike at about 50 MPH. As a result of wearing protective gear he and his spouse were thankfully spared from road rash.

When I ride I usually wear a 3/4 helmet, boots that cover my akle (I don't like boots that go above my ankle), and a Draggin Jeans jacket. (The jacket has kevlar lining in the shoulders and back so I figure it may protect agaist road rash). For pants I just wear regular denum jeans.

I know that armor in jackets and pants provide better protection but I am just not comfortable wearing armor. I wonder what some other riders wear. Especially for protective pants - is leather the only way to go?

Tom K.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have the Olympia air pants for the summer and FG HT's for the winter, along with the Olympia mesh jacket for the summer. The armor is missing in some parts because I think that free movement is more important than riding in full body armor, but during summer heats there are times that all the safety gear might be in a trunk. My next purchase will be the hi-viz Olympias:lol:

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Leather is not the only way! There are many good suppliers out there for riding gear. Look here, http://www.newenough.com/ . Wearing denim jeans will provide you with "ROAD RASH". I prefer to protect myself against it! I wear Technic pants and the MRS. has FirstGear! They both have a zip-out liner and waterproof.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I just read a post by Good_W2 about spilling his bike at about 50 MPH. As a result of wearing protective gear he and his spouse were thankfully spared from road rash.

When I ride I usually wear a 3/4 helmet, boots that cover my akle (I don't like boots that go above my ankle), and a Draggin Jeans jacket. (The jacket has kevlar lining in the shoulders and back so I figure it may protect agaist road rash). For pants I just wear regular denum jeans.

I know that armor in jackets and pants provide better protection but I am just not comfortable wearing armor. I wonder what some other riders wear. Especially for protective pants - is leather the only way to go?

Tom K.
Protective gear is the reason I'm still alive. Especially my HJC AC3 Carbon Fiber helmet!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
My wife and I wear mesh armoured jackets, diamond jeans with kevlar inserts, high cowboy boots, leather gloves, and open face helmets with face shields. Some days it is pretty warm but then we are in Canada most of the time and Northern Ontario is a lot cooler than where a lot of board members ride. The clothing also keeps the bugs from biting.
Sometimes it seems like a bit of overkill but guess you only have to need it once to be worth wearing it.

Comes down to what you are comfortable with both comfort wise and safety wise.

KEEP HER ROLLING

·
Registered
20,690 Posts
believe it or not it doesn't take very long to get comfortable wearing good gear if your willing to try

road rash ? that takes a very long and painful time to heal and often will have bad effects for the rest of your life

the past 5 years or so i always wear helmet, armored jacket (mesh and non mesh), gloves,good boots

i do wear riding pants with armor but not all the time, i plan on working on that

·
Registered
281 Posts
Over the years I've accumlated it all, Leather, aromr, etc. One reason I like riding in the Winter, is I wear that stuff. My problem is the Summer. I have the mesh, but it is still too hot on a 95 deg. day. I know I am wrong, and I try not to do it too often. I may feel really bad if I take a spill and all of that expensive stuff is in my garage.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Gettiings,
Your right its hot when 95+, then add humidity. There is a posing question though, Isn't it just about that hot in a t shirt with the sun beating on you.
I think so, and like someone said earlier as long as your willing to try it you can get pretty comfotable in protective gear. Use what you can and anything I guess is better than nothing at all.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Here is a short article on materials used for gear. These people sell Kevlar which I'm not recommending, I use Olympia, but it is interesting as to how good each material is.
http://www.motoport.com/Page.Asp?Id=19
If you ride enough you will go down at some point. Maybe the gear will help maybe not. I didn't use it for almost forty years but I'm riding even more now than before and I am giving more thought to surviving a crash than I used to. Older and wiser. I bought gear a couple of years ago and always use it until temperatures get above 85, which is hot here in Pa. There are people in Fl that wear it year round but I can't imagine that. After reading up on the different types I decided on mesh mainly because it can be used in hotter temperatures. I can use the Olympia mesh with just shorts on underneath, lots of air flow. Read all you can because whatever you buy it is big money.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's all a matter of personal choice. Nobody has the right to judge. Dress fashionable if you are willing to accept the risk associated with not wearing protective equipment. You should give a passenger that option also. I've been in a motorcycle accident (not a Goldwing..lol)and the only thing that saved my bacon was landing in a soft, wet, flat grassy field. The only PPE I was wearing was a full face helmet. I was lucky God made the "Slip and Slide" for me. So for me, I wear full up PPE regardless of how hot or uncomfortable it may be. Accidents don't just happen to "Those other people." :p

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
All the gear all the time. I'm so used to it now, I feel naked and can't even enjoy riding without it on. A little testing and the right gear and you can stay comfortable between the teens and the low 90s.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Tomksr,
Riding gear is a personal choice. If you make the choice to wear gear, make sure you get some that is comfortable and add to your riding pleasure.

Since I started riding in 2001 I'm always looking for gear that fits well. I've had perfectly good gloves and helmets sit on the shelf or given away because, after riding for an hour or more they became a distraction.

I have finally found some riding pants with armor that fit me. Unfortunately they are not mesh, so I'm not sure how much use they will get in the summer. I have considered buying armor and sewing pockets for them into jeans.

I like the phrase "what you have on when you get on the bike is what you'll have on when you crash". I feel blessed that I have never "needed" my gear and hope I never do.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I wear a Zero 60 Ambush jacket, Nolan N-42 3/4 helmet, over the ankle boots, denim jeans and deerskin gloves.

The Zero 60 jacket is 3 jackets in one. It has a zip out liner that is actually another jacket.

Have worn this jacket for the past 4 years, it works quite well. My wife also has the same jacket.

http://www.janddwalter.com/images/page88.pdf

I also have a Joe Rocket Mesh-Tech jacket for riding in real warm weather.

I worn leather jackets before the Zero 60, but I like the Zero 60 much better.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
You will hear allot about allot of products...you need to make your decisions based on information you have and your riding needs...i have included a link to an article called "Save your Hide"

http://www.motoport.com/Page.Asp?Id=19
I echo that as well.

It is the most expensive gear that I have and hope is never used for it's purpose!!

·
Registered
801 Posts
My preference is ATGAT. I'm so uncomfortable without it, I can't really ride without it. I use the First Gear Transitions Pants and Jackets in the winter and Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh Jacket and the Transitions pants in the heat of a Nebraska summer. 95-100 degrees isn't unusual with medium humidity. I used to live in Atlanta so I'm familiar with summer humidity and I'd say here that it's about 3/4 of Atlanta. Sure, we sweat; but we also wear underarmour heat gear under the protective gear and, unless, we're sitting still alot, it's really not that bad. If you think it's hot and uncomfortable in protective gear, try large patches of roadrash. That's what I keep remembering. But, as some one else said earlier, it's not my place to judge what you do or don't do.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
All the gear all the time. I'm so used to it now, I feel naked and can't even enjoy riding without it on. A little testing and the right gear and you can stay comfortable between the teens and the low 90s.
I'm ATGATT even up to 115 degrees, with a wet cooling vest under the jacket. I look for 600 denier or higher Cordura but fewer mfgs are using it. You're right, good gear is just something you can get used to if you try.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Since the original poster wears a Draggin Jeans jacket, I'm wondering why he doesn't wear the jeans that Draggin Jeans makes. I wear them and they are great. Sometimes, instead of the Draggin Jeans, I wear mesh riding pants with armor in the summer or waterproof riding pants with armor in the winter.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts