GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to crawl around in the mud and wash my wheels, so I've been performing a dirt test. I think brake dust may be particularly protective on motorcycle rims. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I ruined my test; just put in the Speed Bleeders and had to disturb the collected real estate. Wheels look pretty good under all the dirt/dust.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I hate to crawl around in the mud and wash my wheels, so I've been performing a dirt test. I think brake dust may be particularly protective on motorcycle rims. Am I wrong?
Not sure what you mean. Brake dust helps the rims? Keeps actual dirt off? The brake dust will pit the uncoated aluminum rims... voice of experience there. Maybe because it retains moisture and keeps the wheel somewhat damp. Anyhoo... can you explain a little further?

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I took the OP's statement to say I don't clean my wheels and don't care what they look like. Myself I clean my rear wheel a couple of times a year weather it needs it or not. I'm too busy riding to lay on the ground and clean.

·
Registered
718 Posts
The rims on the new bikes are far easier to keep clean than the ones I had on my other two 1800's, but isn't that what the wife is suppose to do or if not I hope Donna doesn't see this post

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
The rims on the new bikes are far easier to keep clean than the ones I had on my other two 1800's, but isn't that what the wife is suppose to do or if not I hope Donna doesn't see this post
Don't worry Bill the next time I see Donna she'll know and won't even have to read this post.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I use the brake dust method for the outside of the rim. When I change tires I give the inside bead sealing edges a good scrubbing with a nylon scouring pad and rubber lube.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I meant that the original post was sarcasm...you obviously took him seriously asking him to elaborate.
Oops sorry. Duh. I guess I'm just a serious individual! Not! :oops:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Page 6 of the owners manual states "when an inch of break dust accumulates on the wheel, new brake pads are recommended."

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
oh clean your wheels once in a while! one way to get a little exercise! but not too often----don't want to get musclebound!!

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
The vast majority of junk on your wheels isn't even brake dust. It's just dust from the road.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Bill: No we're heading to the LA district rally next week via Austin to visit the grandkids and BTW our daughter too then taking the long way back to visit an old friend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts