GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In protest against wimpy Wing riders everywhere, I saddled up this morning and rode out. It was a wretched 67-degrees when the sun came up, but I was out there, wearing my parka and winter mitts. (Thank the Lord that Mr. Honda installed heated grips on my 2012.)

I used to believe the rhetoric that motorcycles won't start below 90-degrees, and that motorcycle tires just don't stick until the road temperature reached at least 112. I used to believe this backward thinking was just a problem here in the Carolinas, but I have seen it in other states. You've seen them too: Women on Gold Wings wearing flip-flops; Guys on Harley's wearing engineer boots and Daisy Dukes. You know who you are!

Well no more! I refuse to give up riding just because the temperature drops into the high 80s--or, burrrrrr, below. Never again will I let a 70-degree day go by while I sit, cowering, in my cage, or in my heated, air conditioned, dehumidified home, wishing I had the strength, the courage, to hit that starter button.

Join me! Join me, my brothers, as we protest ride across this great country from the Carolina coast to Big Sur, California.

We will learn to wear thicker sox!
We will ride even when it's cloudy with a chance of sprinkles!
We will risk frost bite, and worse, by putting a sweatshirt on under our air-mesh jackets and ride forth to G-L-O-R-Y!!!

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
In protest against wimpy Wing riders everywhere, I saddled up this morning and rode out. It was a wretched 67-degrees when the sun came up, but I was out there, wearing my parka and winter mitts. (Thank the Lord that Mr. Honda installed heated grips on my 2012.)

I used to believe the rhetoric that motorcycles won't start below 90-degrees, and that motorcycle tires just don't stick until the road temperature reached at least 112. I used to believe this backward thinking was just a problem here in the Carolinas, but I have seen it in other states. You've seen them too: Women on Gold Wings wearing flip-flops; Guys on Harley's wearing engineer boots and Daisy Dukes. You know who you are!

Well no more! I refuse to give up riding just because the temperature drops into the high 80s--or, burrrrrr, below. Never again will I let a 70-degree day go by while I sit, cowering, in my cage, or in my heated, air conditioned, dehumidified home, wishing I had the strength, the courage, to hit that starter button.

Join me! Join me, my brothers, as we protest ride across this great country from the Carolina coast to Big Sur, California.

We will learn to wear thicker sox!
We will ride even when it's cloudy with a chance of sprinkles!
We will risk frost bite, and worse, by putting a sweatshirt on under our air-mesh jackets and ride forth to G-L-O-R-Y!!!

:popcorn:
Do you use tire-chains or studded CT's ?? :joke:

·
Registered
624 Posts
My coldest day riding to work was 19 degrees, without heated grips. :eek:4:

67 degrees is t-shirt and shorts weather! :biker:

Reminder: Poker run Sat., Leaving JIB at 8:30, going to Forest City. Hope you can ride.

Mike

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you use tire-chains or studded CT's ?? :joke:
If it will keep me riding down into those dangerous deep freeze temps--you know, like into the 50s--I'll have to really think about switching to a run flat studded snow tire. :cry:

C

·
0 Posts
If it will keep me riding down into those dangerous deep freeze temps--you know, like into the 50s--I'll have to really think about switching to a run flat studded snow tire. :cry:

You don't want to ride in temps anywhere near the 50's or below because your gas will turn to jelly and the electrons in your battery will get so slow that your microwave won't work. Its a horrible sight to see those electrons slowly dripping out of the end of the battery cable. :eek:4:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I dunno. Two years ago I left home one morning on what was a 500 mile run (on an FJR). Temps at home that morning when I left were 17F and at the end of the day it had warmed all the way up to 38. The ONLY other bike I saw on the road the entire trip was a Wing.....(and YES, I would have traded on the spot for the heated seat!!)

·
Registered
306 Posts
You ought to be there well in time for dinner tomorrow (Friday the 9th) evening if you are a serious protest rider. Chow down at the Sierra Mar Restaurant at the Post Ranch Inn. Remember though you ain't in Hickory or Morganton Toto when you're out there. It's gonna cost more than Cracker Barrel and the Holiday Inn Express!

And don't forget you have to wear shoes when you eat there.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Of course, just a few short hours down the road, Neptune's Net in Malibu has some great views...at a much more reasonable rate.

Fish & chips & beer...yeah, I did it...can't beat it!

Have fun on that protest ride. Will ride with ya in spirit! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Now where did I leave my bike????

It was here when I went turned in for the night...

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts