GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are protrusions on the very bottom of the handlebar switch pods. Do they serve any purpose? Any cons to filing them off? I'd like to mount something to the bottom of the switch pod and they may be in the way. The left and right sides look different, but both have them.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
cord holder

I ground the ones on the left off and mounted the controller for my heated Jacket liner.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I remembered someone saying they had a purpose.

Thanks for the replies guys. And thanks for the picture Verdayne, sure helps.

I think I'll leave them and mount my little box inboard a bit.

Best Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
141 Posts
Those are cord holders. They are positioned, so two different sizes of cords will fit.
A picture is better than a thousand words. I hadn't even noticed those little nodes.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
See, This is why I love this board... I learn something new ALL the time!

·
Registered
421 Posts
They can be used to hold your headset cord but they are actually vent holes to allow moisture to escape from the switch assembly.
If you look closely on the back side of them you can see the holes go up into the housing.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Maybe that is where the moisture or crud gets in that causes the reverse switch to stick.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Mac, You are correct! I asked a guy at the Honda plant last year what the hell those things were. He said the way that they are designed, the air will keep them aired out, but wont let any moisture in.. He said it actually gets pretty warm inside those housings.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Jas said:
If you had a UK model you'd find the headlamp switch clips into those "bits".
Jas
Jas, I have an 06 model, although I'm beginning to wonder regarding it being a UK model lol. I just took out a second mortgage to afford the shop manual (a hefty tome)and inside the front cover is a list of model types and their codes...
E-UK
F-France
ED -European direct sales
11ED-European direct sales Type11
EK-Ireland
U-Australie&NewZealand
BR-Brazil
By using various methods of deduction I've narrowed my options down to E or ED. Even my local stealer is covering his backside with phrases like Hmmmmm.. and "A bit of a grey area, I'll ask around."
Btw, no lighting switchgear under my left grip. Ign on- lights on.

Y'all have a good Christmas. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts