GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just signed the paperwork for a brand new '08 Dark Metallic Red 1800!!! I am so excited I can hardly stand it! :22yikes:

I have been riding for a while now but have never owned a bike as large as the 1800 and have definitely never owned a BRAND NEW bike. Any advice for this "newbie" would be greatly appreciated.

Keep the shiny side up!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Congrats on the new wheels. I bought a Pearl White 2008 last year after struggling literally for days trying to decide between it or the Dark Red. The Dark Red sure is pretty in the sunlight. I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Feel like a teenager again don't you?:coffee1: :yes1:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any special rules regarding break in of a new 1800?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride. Take a little time to get used to it before going heavy. Don't worry about breaking it in - just follow the guidelines in your owner's manual.

V

·
0 Posts
Congrats, now start saving for all the things you just have to get!!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wow! Congratulations! You found my bike's long lost twin sister. :joke:

Like other's have said just enjoy it.

You may also want to update your sig to let us know where you are located.

·
Registered
517 Posts
:congrats: get ready for the ride of your life! oh increase you credit card limits.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Advice??

Just signed the paperwork for a brand new '08 Dark Metallic Red 1800!!! I am so excited I can hardly stand it! :22yikes:

I have been riding for a while now but have never owned a bike as large as the 1800 and have definitely never owned a BRAND NEW bike. Any advice for this "newbie" would be greatly appreciated.
Boy Josh,
Did you open a can of worms.
I realize your a newbie but surely you've been lurking around long enough to know there are enough people here that give you advice without even asking for it!:eek:4:

Seriously, you bought the best ride out there. The only advice I'd give is not to buy too many blings to start with. Give yourself a season of riding and looking at other bikes to make up your mind what you'd like on yours. Everyone has an opinion on what is best. Read, read, read the many posts on this board. Every product had it's good and bad points. And products change over time. Case in point, Kuryakyn. Some people swear by it and some at it. My opinion is that it's been better in past years.

Hey, ENJOY YOUR NEW TOY.
Larry (thecruiser)

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Welcome to the group, Doc...

Advise:

Don't get caught up in chrome, accessories, etc game yet. Take some time to get used to the bike and it's handling for a few weeks, or a thousand miles or so. Then you'll have a better idea of what changes (if any) you want to make to the way the bike "fits".

Then still, before you go buy anything... take a look at other people's Wings, and read what other on the board here have to say about those particular items. By that, I mean the pros & cons of which brand & model of accessories you may be thinking of (cruise pegs, custom seat, handlebar risers, etc.)

Finally... when you've figured out what you may want to change, or what farkles you may want to add, I'd suggest them in the following order:

1. Items that make you more comfortable on the bike
  2. Items that make the bike more functional
  3. Items that make the bike look better

After 4 years, and lots of trial & error... I've finally got my bike the way I want it. BUT... I could have saved myself lots of money, time, and effort over that time had I followed the advise above. I guarantee you that I've bought, installed, removed, and/or replaced more items than 75% of the people here... mostly because I went out and bought lots of stuff that I THOUGHT I wanted for the bike right after I got it. I've kept some of that stuff, but I've either removed or replaced over half of it.

Other than that, the only other advise I can give you is to put in for leave the weekend of May 28-31, and join about 300 of us at the base of the Catskill Mountains for Cats-Cade 2009. You can check out the link below, and you'll be sure to hear more about it on the board as the weekend gets closer.

http://www.cats-cade.org/

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
+1 on the Congrats.

+1 on "Save your money for add-ons" I think in my first year of owning the Wing I've probably spent close to $3,000 for add-ons and none of them are really "major" items like trailers, etc.

Take an advances MSF course to get confidence that the size of the bike doesn't matter; your confidence and technique matter.

Look forward to lots of happy miles. I love my Wing and so will you!

Michael

·
Registered
502 Posts
New Bike

You will love it, it will do almost anything that you want to do on two wheels. Go ahead and post your oil question we know that it is coming. Good luck and be safe.

Sonney

·
Registered
205 Posts
:congrats:Here is some advice..........before it's too late, go back to the dealer and try to get the YELLOW one!!! Seriously though... You picked the perfect bike. First accessorie would be a Utopia back rest and highway pegs.

Take care....

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
not much more than i can say but enjoy it and ride it for a while
no chrome
cb to start as an emergency tool and to talk with other people

1 - 20 of 39 Posts