GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!!! I am the proud owner of a new 2016 Goldwing!!! Not my first Wing. I had a 1979 GL1000 decked out with every Vetter accessory available at the time!!! Used to get a kick out of the local Honda dealer, she'd call me up and ask me to bring my bike down to the dealership to show potential buyers!!! Put a lot of miles on that bike, and sold it because the new wife didn't like riding!!! We were divorced shortly after!!! Loved and missed my Wing, always wanted another! I rode a Triumph Trophy for several years but it just wasn't the same. Sold the Triumph a couple of years ago, and just three weeks ago took the plunge again!!! I rode the 2019s, both standard and DCT models, but was made a better deal on the '16!!! Looking forward to posting pics as I dress her up!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Congratulations!! I have a 2016 and its a nice bike, but Im wanting the New DCT, honestly hope I don't regret possibly giving up on my 2016
Enjoy

:grin2::smile2:

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
Welcome "back" to a wing. Think theres others from ozark on forum ??

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
49 Posts
Congrats on the new wing. Put many miles and enjoy a lot of smiles riding it.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Congratulations!!

Enjoy the road and your Wing.

Donnie

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Well,
I hope the OP is as happy with his new '16 as we've been with our '08 in the 8+ years we've owned it. Every single time I (or we) get on that bike, to go ANYWHERE, it's shear pleasure. It has no hesitation in starting, runs BETTER than most sewing machines, smoooooooth as glass, power up the ying-yang, and DEPENDABILITY beyond belief. Every time I think about getting a stablemate for the Wing, just a run-around bike, like say, an old 650 Yamaha, I think about how uncomfortable I'd be. No windshield, no cruise, no stereo, and all the comfy-fun-safety-great stuff the Wing possesses. Talk about spoiled. To the OP, enjoy, it's one fantastick machine.
Scott

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
You are much better off with a much superior motorcycle in all regards vs the new thing that shouldn't even be called a goldwing. Should be called a copperwing, plasticwing, potmetalwing or some other term since silverwing is already used up. Continuing the goldwing name on the new one is a real stretch to the name vs the last few decades previous offerings. At least they didn't go to a V-twin, they otherwise ruined every good point of the GL1800 on the 2018.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Excellent choice! I went from an excellent 05 I purchased new..... to not being able to pass up a smokin deal on a new 2016 just a year ago!

Welcome aboard and lets see that Wing! Before and after accessories pictures are welcome!

Corventure Dave

Attachments

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts
Should be called a copperwing, plasticwing, potmetalwing or some other term since silverwing is already used up.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Wow,
I've only sat on a new Wing. I haven't had the opportunity to ride one or experience any of the new features and differences between the earlier years. But, is the new version really THAT BAD? I mean, it's still the infamous GoldWing motor and, from what little I know, there are improvements that many have wished for for a long time. A powered windshield, a 6 spd or, a DCT trans, different ergonomics and a few other things. Sure seems there's quite a few on here that are really happy with theirs.
Scott

Reactions: Nate Mayo

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts
Wow,
I've only sat on a new Wing. I haven't had the opportunity to ride one or experience any of the new features and differences between the earlier years. But, is the new version really THAT BAD? I mean, it's still the infamous GoldWing motor and, from what little I know, there are improvements that many have wished for for a long time. A powered windshield, a 6 spd or, a DCT trans, different ergonomics and a few other things. Sure seems there's quite a few on here that are really happy with theirs.
Scott
For some, a GoldWing represents the ultimate in a long distance touring motorcycle. For me that requires comfort, reliability, and storage to carry my stuff. Unfortunately, it lacks storage. Sometimes my rides are 12,000+ miles.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I don't believe it's complaints about the new Goldwing. It's just what best fits the owner and the personal riding style and needs.
The New Goldwing is a great step forward in style and technology. A fine machine that Honda needed to do to keep up with the competition.
However for some of us, the previous GL1800 is just a better fit. Even if we don't have the electric windshield adjustment and 6 speed transmission we have been pining for over the years. Just personal choice. And there is nothing wrong with loving what you presently have... 01 - 17 or 2018 - 19.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The new bike is quite different. Personally if my 2008 bit the dust I’d be looking for a 2017 or earlier one to replace it.

But I think Honda is going in the right direction to appeal to the next generation. I don’t think future generations will travel on bikes like we do...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts