GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my previous Gold Wings I've been able to find the push to talk connection under the seat and make up my own PTT for my co-rider for about $2 from Radio Shack. I see the PTT line on the schematic but having a hard time finding it under the seat in the huge bundle of wires. Has anyone else isolated this connection? If so ... where did you find it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The plug is in the rubber boot located under the seat by the left grab rail, it is in the same boot as the rear speaker plug, I think it is a black, 2 prong plug with a green and a yellow wire. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I do not know where the connector is you are looking for but I have a question for you. What parts and how do you make up your own PTT switch with parts from Radio Shack? Any info you would share would be appreciated. I have come up with some ideas of my own, but I did not care for the final results.

·
Registered
48 Posts
All you need is a push button, kind of like a doorbell button, all you have to do is hook it to the to push to talk plug under the seat and your done, pretty easy

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Momentary" push button is what you need. On my 1500 I bought one at Radio Shack and since it was NOT weather proof, it only lasted 5 years. However, when you compare the price of a momentary push button to the price of a Honda Co-Rider Button ... well, I rest my case. CAUTION/WARNING!!!!!! Make sure you know what you're doing as you can do some serious damage and/or blow out some fuses if you hook things up incorrectly. :cry:

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
There is a photo on our web site of a simple co-rider PTT switch and it's 2 pin connector.

The 1500 uses a 4 pin and the 1800 uses a 2 pin. On the 1800 it is inside the rubber boot as So Cal Wing said. It is the boot on the left side of the bike.

Lewis at Electrical Connections has the Hitachi connector for just a few dollars.

Like the others said, it is a very easy an inexpensive addition.

I

·
0 Posts
You guys are lucky. Here in the UK our bikes come with a diffirent radio making it impossible to fit the CB. We have a company making a Midland unit fixed to the front wall of the topbox with handlebar mounted controls for everything but channel indicator. Havent yet figured out how to fit a passenger PTT. If you know an easy way she would be very pleased.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Ironside,

Do you have any more info, links or photos? How is the Midland unit being keyed up? If it is keyed-up by the Honda handlebar PTT, then you may have the connector under the seat to plug a co-rider PTT into.

I

·
0 Posts
No Bill. its a completely self contained system. Has its own handlebar mounted plate with On/ Off ,Channel up/down and PTT. It goes into the intercom system through the passenger pigtail. All other controls are on the unit and must be pre set. Our bikes do not have any of the controls fitted at all that relate to the CB. Completely diffirent radio. Would like to fit a passenger PTT, had one on the 1500, but know nothing about these things so dont know where to even look for the wires to cut into. I think I only need to find the right wire to lead to the switch and the other side of it goes to ground.

Peter G.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Morph said:
Lewis at Electrical Connections has the Hitachi connector for just a few dollars.
Hi Morph,

What/who/where are "Electrical Connections"?

Do they have a website?

I did a google and not surprisingly "Electrical Connections" produce about 7-zillion hits. :!:

FTW

1 - 11 of 11 Posts