GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took a ride today on back roads in Wise County. On the way home I passed a pucker test. We were on a narrow, heavily timbered county road and 2 does and a buck jumped us. Thank Honda for ABS brakes. I was a foot or less off their butts when I got slower than them. The does hit the fence then but the buck ran on about 100 yards before he jumped. That was too close for comfort.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Deer you just can't predict..... I had a similar encounter several years back where a mom and her does were in a stand of trees, were startled and ran across the road in front of me. I didn't have abs then and locked up the rear tire, but missed the doe by inches. BIG pucker factor.
I'm glad you're ok. Ride safe!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Luckly, considering I live in deer country, my closest call was to have one wipe it's nose on my passengers leg. We were scootin along at about 80mph. I didn't know about it until the next stop. Then I got an earfull. :eek:

·
Registered
581 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
ABS: Don't leave home without it. (IMHO)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Deer alerts? I had my wife on back if that counts. She's always alerting me about something.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Just curious, did you have any deer alerts on bike??

Researchers with the Georgia Fish and Game Dept and The University of Wisconsin have pointed out several reasons why these devices do not (and probably could not) work as advertised:
  • Some deer whistles do not emit any ultrasonic sound under the advertised operating conditions [typically when the vehicle exceeds 30 mph].
  • Ultrasonic sound does not carry very well. It does not travel a long enough distance to provide adequate warning, and also is stopped by virtually any intervening object, so any curves in a road will block the sound.
  • We know little about the auditory limits of deer, but what we do know indicates that deer hear approximately the same frequencies as humans, and thus if we can't hear it, they probably can't either.
  • If deer could hear ultrasound, we do not know that it would alarm them or induce a flight response. Certainly if they heard it on a regular basis, they would get used to the sound and not react to it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
or no bug, they don't work.
I have a friend that put them on his wing and when I asked them if they worked, he told me he hasn't seen a deer since he put them on.:shrug:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I bought me an elephant gun. Haven't seen any elephants since. What a waste of money.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,472 Posts
I don't know anything about the whistles, but I do know they can hear my horns. I usually just lay on them until they run the opposite direction. Headlights blind them, but they can tell where sound is coming from and run the other way. JMHO. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts