GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have Fred's videos which are great. He shows removing both calipers and then per Honda, replacing the 4 caliper bolts when reinstalling them.

I have a fender extender I want to install which would be easier to do with the wheel off. At $30 or so for new caliper bolts plus the wait for them to arrive, I'll leave the wheel on.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
How did you do it?
I didn't say I did it. I was just answering the question. :lol:

Actually I did but it was on my 2006. Removing it is easy. Just remove it as usual without removing the brake calipers. Installing is another story. It's probably easier with both removed but I think I just removed the left one and separated the pads on the right one to make more room to slide the rotor back in. I'm trying to remember... I had a friend help the first couple of times and I did it myself only once a couple years ago.

I know the 2018+ is different but I'm sure you could remove the front wheel without removing the calipers.

EDIT: I was WRONG!

·
Registered
712 Posts
On the 2018 Gold Wing, they state to remove both brake calipers to remove front wheel. I did when I replaced the
front tire. on the older Gold Wings 2002- 2015), I removed the right caliper. I don't think you can remove the wheel
if you don't remove one caliper. On the 2018 Gold Wing, I removed both.

Pages 190 and 191 of your owners manual.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Aqz1iOYtwkQ2pfRUxzekRmSzA/view

·
Vendor
22,053 Posts
The brake caliper bolts are not "stretch to yield" bolts. The only reason Honda tells you to replace them is because they have a thread lock agent pre-applied to new bolts when you buy them. (This info came direct from Honda engineering in Japan). You can re-use the same bolts without fear of them breaking.

·
Vendor
22,053 Posts
And yes, you'll have to remove the calipers. I don't believe it is physically possible to remove the front wheel without doing this due to the depth of the calipers and width of the front wheel, because the calipers sit inboard of the rim.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
And, you can apply air drying type of thread anti vibration material to the original bolts and let it air cure before use once the Honda applied material wears off. The material I use is Vibratite VC-3. I recommend the small tubes as it does tend to set in the tube after opening.

prs

Reactions: Capt. Bob and Orrin

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
And yes, you'll have to remove the calipers. I don't believe it is physically possible to remove the front wheel without doing this due to the depth of the calipers and width of the front wheel, because the calipers sit inboard of the rim.
Ok, That's what I couldn't remember. I tried and forgot about that part. But I think you can get away with removing just one side if you're lazy like me. Of course, Fred will correct me if I'm wrong again. :D I'm sure I tried. Just don't listen to me, go by the manual and Fred H.

Could be why my right rotor got slightly bent... :oops::oops:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Oh you probably could... just how much force would be needed and what all would break in the process... >:)

·
Registered
504 Posts
I did when I pulled my front wheel but I followed the service manual (page 17-9). The first part of the front wheel removal directs you to:

Step 1: Remove the front fender
Step 2: Remove the mounting bolts from the left and right brake caliper

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
I have Fred's videos which are great. He shows removing both calipers and then per Honda, replacing the 4 caliper bolts when reinstalling them.

I have a fender extender I want to install which would be easier to do with the wheel off. At $30 or so for new caliper bolts plus the wait for them to arrive, I leave the wheel on.

Ive reused caliper bolts for years, just clean off the Honda thread sealant and apply new blue Loctite.:smile2:
Don't over tighten.:crying:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Been riding street bikes since 1978 and doing most of my own maintenance, I can’t remember any bikes with disk brakes that I didn’t have to pull caliper(s). Now maybe I’m forgetting a certain bike or two that maybe you could get away with not removing caliper(s), but doubt it. Just glad the manufactures gave up on drum brakes many years ago, makes pulling 4 bolts to remove the calipers seem really easy. As a side comment, I highly doubted dealer mechanics were gonna replace the bolts because they stretch, unless there was an issue removing and reinstalling. Fred gives the straight answers on these types of issues, as suggested, get his videos.

·
Registered
271 Posts

I have a fender extender I want to install which would be easier to do with the wheel off. At $30 or so for new caliper bolts plus the wait for them to arrive, I leave the wheel on.
I did not remove the calipers when I took my fender off to install the fender extender. I just dropped the wheel enough to get the fender off. There is no way to get the wheel completely off the bike without removing the calipers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for the great info.

Glad to hear I can reuse the bolts and I will get the right thread-lock material to apply for the future.

I installed the fender extender yesterday without pulling the wheel. Turned out to be very easy. My concern was having the holes line up exactly when measuring and drilling from the outside. The reference points are not precise, but in the end, the holes lined up and the extender is on and straight.

·
Registered
380 Posts
wouldn’t know on a 2018+
Nice post, not answering the question. My answer is yes, but then I had to remove one side and spread the pads back on the other side after, before putting the tire back on.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Even if there was a way to coax the wheel off avoiding removal of both calipers, why do it? The calipers are easily removed and perhaps more importantly, the wheel continues to look nice. I believe on my last two (01 and 08) wheel could be removed leaving one caliper in place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts