GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a little disappointed with the mileage I got. We rode out 3 tanks of gas. first tank was 34 mpg, second was 33 mpg and third tank was 32 mpg. That was interstate riding with the cruise locked on 80 mph. (indicated) Temps started out at 31 and went up to 65.

The bike has 3000 miles on it. Maybe it will get better. Usually mileage gets worse during the winter.

My brother always got over 40mpg pulling a trailer with his 02 every year going out west from KY. I was hoping for upper 30's at least. Maybe I need to recheck the wheel bearings on the trailer.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I do better than that on mileage- But I pull a Bushtec, What kind of trailer are you using. The design may be whats bringing your mileage down.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Don't get real excited about the wheel bearings being your problem. If they were that tight they would probably be burned up and your trailer would be sitting along the road.

As far as trailer design affecting the mileage I also have to question that. Here are the facts. I have pulled both a Boxy type trailer. (Neosho) and the present Escapade with mine. Mileage was same with each trailer. I have been on trips with my buddy who owns a Bushtec. The first thing he told me was "Do not expect to get as good a mileage as I do because my trailer is a Bushtec" LOLOL.. After we both filled up with gas several times and he realized I was using the same amout he never said anymore on the subject.

I think the way you handle the bike and the fact it is still somewhat new and the weather affects it all.

These are just my thoughts with the experiences I have encountered. Others will probably vary.

Ross

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have found that the trailer costs about 10-12% of my mpg. I usually ride with a friend. When neither of us has a trailer our mpg is identical. When I am pulling the trailer I get about 10mpg less than him. Well worth the expense for the convenience of carrying my own pillow, etc.

·
Registered
322 Posts
mileage

I was wondering, what kind of mileage were you getting without the trailer, and which trailer do you have. I have noticed that my best mileage is around 3K RPM, once I go up much beyond that my mileage starts to decline. My best mileage so far ( I have 1500 miles ) has been low 40's and that is without a trailer.
Good luck,

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Logbldr said:
That was interstate riding with the cruise locked on 80 mph. (indicated)
At that speed your mpg is what I would expect. Slow down and you'll get better mpg.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
How much stuff do you have in your trailer? The more it weighs the worse your mileage.
Mick :eek:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Without knowing what kind of trailer you have and how much weight you're pulling, it's hard to comment as to why your mileage declined. I pull a Bunkhouse trailer with my '05 Wing. By itslef, I have gotten mid to upper 40's for gas mileage. That's with speeds kept reasonable. Delve into the upper 70's and 80's and it dips to the upper 30's. While pulling the camper trailer, I'm getting around 35 mpg as long as I keep the speed down a bit. We like to ride in the mountains, so there's a lot of shifting and going up and down some steep grades, so that contributes to lower gas mileage.

One other thing--riding in cooler temperatures will result in lower gas mileage anyway. You might find you get better fuel economy in the summer when it's much warmer out.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Thats what I get about 34 MPG at 80 not pulling a trailer probably less that that pulling the Bunkhouse

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
Trailer type, speed, your weight, is there a passenger, amount of weight in trailer, terain, weather conditions, does fuel have ethenal added, air pressure ALL effect mileage. :drive1:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Id agree that speed is what is killing the mileage. IE...when we were moving from Vegas back to MN, I was driving a 26 foot Diesel Penske truck. I had that thing going as fast as its governor would let me go (75). THe thing got crappy mileage! So did the car my wife was driving (96 lumina...3.1 engine hauling 2k lbs). Heck, the car didnt even want to go 75 half of the time.

So...when I sold my bike to MarkJ down by Omaha, I drove 60 in my car hauling the same load (my old GL1000) with the same Uhaul trailer. My mileage went from 150 miles a tank to well over 200. We used that same concept when we moved from MN out to Wyoming. Wife drove my car with the new bike and I drove the penske hauling her car...we went 60 the entire way and you wouldnt believe how much we saved on Diesel. Might not seem like much, but when you have to fill up that 50 gallon tank a couple of times a day...it sure is nice to fill it up one less time a day.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
At that speed you did well. you can't expect much differant unless you get on the two lane and are within the 55 range and then it will not be much more.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The SO and I took a 2500 mile trip last June, pulling our Butler, Jr. and riding two-up except for about 200 miles. Using "Honda Miles", we averaged 40.38. Our trailer was fairly well loaded and it starts out at 235# empty. Wasn't really concerned about the mileage but it wasn't too bad, huh?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts