GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MT 2015 conversion today for the first time. I did not understand the concept of lubing the spine however now I get it. I was unaware the spine moved in and out of the universal housing. That’s why the spring is there. Duh. The spine was dry as a bone. Not any longer. Also lubed the universals of course. It was a learning experience for sure. The project was pretty straight forward. Just took time. I did tie the fore and aft u joints together with a rope prior to starting. Worked like a champ. Just an FYI for those interested.

·
Registered
717 Posts
GOOD JOB!!

Yup, that spline needs some LOVE every once in a while. When I owned my '06 with the Adventure Kit conversion the splines were cleaned and re-greased as part of my annual winter maintenance. I gave the U-Joints a shot of Red-N-Sticky grease every 5 to 6 thousand miles. Motor Trike tech folks told me once to use Black-Moly grease on the splines because it didn't breakdown under the abuse those splined get.

I still work on a few Motor Trikes from time to time so my "ROPE" still gets used..

·
Registered
506 Posts
Not sure you still need to tie the fore and aft u joints together with a rope prior to startingany longer. The second generation ujoints have a channeled spline that will only fit one way. But my unit is much older than yours, so I'm not positive that is still true today.

·
Registered
717 Posts
It's not necessary because of the need to keep original alignment as much as it makes getting the shaft assembly back in MUCH easier. You are correct that the newer shafts have keyed splines. Getting things out is not a big deal and the back half will usually come out of the front yoke assembly pretty easy. Then all you do when reinstalling is lube up the splines with BLACK MOLY grease and use rope/wire/whatever to collapse the tension spring. Once the shaft assembly in in place then release it and tighten things up to spec.

Another thing the MT tech guys told me back in the day was to use red thread lock on the rear yoke bolts.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, we clamped the unit together and tightened the rope compressing the driveline prior to installation. I was not aware the shaft had keyed spines however. Good to know for next time. Geez, I can hardly wait. Not.:wink2:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yeah, we clamped the unit together and tightened the rope compressing the driveline prior to installation. I was not aware the shaft had keyed spines however. Good to know for next time. Geez, I can hardly wait. Not.:wink2:
YUP... I said it made it easier... NOT EASY..... :wink2::laugh:

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I have (2) two grease zirks on my Roadsmith trike (Goldwing) that I always place the front of the tire against an non movable object, and the jack up the rear, (place jack stands under) and shoot a couple of shots of grease into each zirk..............So far so good, I'm assuming those zirks are there for a reason, so YES I grease them up twice a season...........

Ronnie

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have (2) two grease zirks on my Roadsmith trike (Goldwing) that I always place the front of the tire against an non movable object, and the jack up the rear, (place jack stands under) and shoot a couple of shots of grease into each zirk..............So far so good, I'm assuming those zirks are there for a reason, so YES I grease them up twice a season...........

Ronnie
Those two fittings supply grease (I hope you are using Black-Moly) to the RoadSmith telescoping driveshaft splines. There is a little relief hole between the rear U-Joint halves. When the entire spline is full of grease, some will come out that hole. ?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Those two fittings supply grease (I hope you are using Black-Moly) to the RoadSmith telescoping driveshaft splines. There is a little relief hole between the rear U-Joint halves. When the entire spline is full of grease, some will come out that hole. ?
Thanks Rush! I have not been using Black Moly ( just what's in my grease gun now ??) BUT will go down to the auto supply shop this morning and purchase a tube cause it's time again to shoot a few squirts of grease up in there again... Before riding season really begins (i've been out only once/twice) this season.. BUT I did replace oil/filter, new air filter, front tire, replaced anti freeze fluid, and new front brakes...(pads that is) added correct amount of air in all three tires, so I'm ready to rumble, again this riding season......I have some fun riding plans ready in schedule, so as much as I really enjoy snow skiing every season, I also look forward to riding just as well....no skiing, no riding ,no skiing, riding (I can't make up my mind) lol

Ronnie

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Thanks Rush! I have not been using Black Moly ( just what's in my grease gun now ??) BUT will go down to the auto supply shop this morning and purchase a tube cause it's time again to shoot a few squirts of grease up in there again... Before riding season really begins (i've been out only once/twice) this season.. BUT I did replace oil/filter, new air filter, front tire, replaced anti freeze fluid, and new front brakes...(pads that is) added correct amount of air in all three tires, so I'm ready to rumble, again this riding season......I have some fun riding plans ready in schedule, so as much as I really enjoy snow skiing every season, I also look forward to riding just as well....no skiing, no riding ,no skiing, riding (I can't make up my mind) lol

Ronnie
Hey Rush,
I did purchase the Black Molly as you recommended, and shot this grease in the zerks, till old grease oozed out ... many, many thanks for your recommendation (y) Now i'm ready for the upcoming riding season............... If only it would warm up a tad, and this B/S Corona virus goes away soon................Thank you!!

Ronnie

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hey Rush,
I did purchase the Black Molly as you recommended, and shot this grease in the zerks, till old grease oozed out ... many, many thanks for your recommendation (y) Now i'm ready for the upcoming riding season............... If only it would warm up a tad, and this B/S Corona virus goes away soon................Thank you!!

Ronnie
I hear you Ronnie!!! My trike is getting dust on it!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts