GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CLOSED THE DEAL - 2012 Blue AC

Buying/ordering a audio comfort '12 GW today.

What accessories would you consider a -must-, that I should have the dealer install before I pick it up?

Is it better to go with aftermarket than Hondaline? Pretty pricey.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Utopia Backrest
Driver's pegs
Driver's grips
passenger armrests
Bikemp3 player
GL2way CB

Learn to do what minimal work is required yourself..

·
Registered
238 Posts
bar risers, back rest, and road pegs

those three things will keep you going for a while. Unless the dealer puts them on for free, you can do all three yourself very easily. Where did you end up purchasing from? I bought mine from Niehaus last year. Nice bunch down there.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase!. You're going to have a lot of fun.

I would suggest you ride the bike for a while to determine what your needs are. Otherwise, you could pay for items that are great for someone else's needs, but not for yours.

For example, the used Wing I bought had risers on it, but I found them uncomfortable so I removed them. There have been times a CB would come in handy, but I rarely ride with groups. I find my backrest an inconvenience when I mount and dismount the bike so I only use it on long trips, and never with my wife onboard because it gets in her way.

So take your time before jumping into a purchase.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Standard answer. GAS, GAS, and more GAS is the first option. Find out how the wing feels first before you decide. You leave it up to some of the recommendations from this board you'll spend $1,000's on something you possible don't need or want.

Each bike has it's own personality. RIDE, RIDE, RIDE, and RIDE some more.

But, that's my humble worthless $0.02 on this topic.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Buying/ordering a audio comfort '12 GW today.

What accessories would you consider a -must-, that I should have the dealer install before I pick it up?

Is it better to go with aftermarket than Hondaline? Pretty pricey.

Thanks
Mike
Utopia Backrest
Driver's pegs
Driver's grips
passenger armrests
Bikemp3 player
GL2way CB

Learn to do what minimal work is required yourself..

Here we go.............

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285853

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! Like others have said, ride for a while before you go buying a bunch of add-ons. If there are things you find yourself wishing the bike had, and you can afford them, buy them.

This forum is also a great place to come to find opinions on various products you might be considering. No doubt as you're riding your new steed around, you'll find yourself talking with other 1800 riders if you can ever bring yourself to pull off the road for a while.

Another reason to wait a while, it will probably take the aftermarket some time to really come up to speed with accessories for the '12. So if you want the best selection, time is your friend.

Bottom line, enjoy! It's your ride, and the add-ons enable to make it even more your own as the miles go buy. My advice, take it slowly!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Be sure to update all on your ride review and Congrats

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Congratulations on your new, fun ride.

IMHO, there is NOTHING that you need to have the dealer install, for a couple reasons:

1) Even if the dealer gives you a BIG 'discount' on the stuff (25%), you'll pay through the nose for the installation. Half the joy of ownership (for many of us) is getting to know your 'Wing and all the nooks & crannies.

2) Until you've put a few hundred (or thousand) miles on the bike, it will be difficult to know what you "need". When you've begun to make a list of things that you want to add, you can shop around and get a good price. No offense to dealers (they have to cover their overhead and make a modest profit), but there are lots of sources for aftermarket (or even OEM) 'needs'.

For comfort, especially when spending hours in the saddle, I've found only two items to be "needs": a Utopia backrest and Mick-O-Pegs.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Baker or similar airwings & mirror wings for hot weather make a big difference & would have the leg & foot wings on before cold weather gets here. Backrest is also a good thing to have :congrats:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Ride it for awhile and put some miles on it before deciding what accessories to put on it. I suspect that the aftermarket needs some time to design and come out with accessories for the '12 models, since there are some differences that need to be dealt with.

I have to agree with the statement that YOU need to decide what YOU need, not what others need for their comfort. Many riders are fine without a backrest, etc. The only thing I would recommend, and it all depends on your size and inseam length, is a good set of highway pegs or boards. The other is a CB radio if you ride with a group a lot. If you enjoy tunes, an XM radio or bike mp3 player would be a good idea. Only you know if you like to chrome your bike out. In the meantime, enjoy your new '12, and let us know your riding impressions of it after a few miles.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Ride, buy later. Install things yourself but be very sure they are things you really need. Holes in plastic and scratches on chrome parts are hard to repair. Do not buy a CB until you really decide you need one, and there are better units than Honda that cost less.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The only things I had the dealer install at time of purchase was a spoiler and a belly pan. The spoiler isn't necessary, but I like the extra brake light for safety reasons. The Tulsa belly pan was added at their suggestion, but I'm glad I did it, and they gave me a good price on it. The rest of my accessories I added myself- Utopia backrest, transformer passenger floorboards, MP3 player ( now switched to an XM radio), cup holder, highway pegs, and a few other miscellaneous do-dads.

As far as "have to have", for me it's the backrest, highway pegs, and cup holder. The rest is nice but not crucial.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Would you need a Bikemp3 player given the new audio inputs on the 2012?

After all can't you just plug in a USB stick full of music?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. :thumbup:

Needed items:

1. driver backrest
2. as much chrome as you can get without making the bike look trashy :joke:
3. whatever you desire

My list is simple.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Most important thing should be first.......louvered 2pc stainless belly pan. Wingstuff.com. Well worth the few bucks it costs!:thumbup:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Up grade to the level 3 ABS model, that is one thing you can never add later and will never regret.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts