GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at picking up a '94 Kwik Kamp trailer. Next year I am planning a trip from Idaho to Alabama (about 2400 miles) and due to limited vacation time want to run it in 3 days each way (will take two weeks with the balance spent visiting/exploring retirement locations). I've done 800 mile days on a touring bike before, but not pulling a trailer. Is it comfortable running ~80mph hauling one? And just how much do they impact fuel economy at highway speeds? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I have a Hannigan GL Series trailer for my 2015 wing. I have about 30,000 miles on the bike pulling the trailer. Yes there is a decrease in MPG but its not serious, maybe 38 MPG vs 40 plus (I almost always ride two up). I also have a swivel hitch installed.

I have never notice any issues on the road at interstate speeds. I rarely run 80 MPH unless I am on one of this interstates where that is the legal speed. So, I can't address that part of your question. At 70 - 75 MPH there are no issues. The only time I know its back there is when I look. Well if you run across a large bump in the road you might feel that was well but otherwise, its very smooth.

I do not know about 94 Kwik Kamp trailer as far as suspensions, aerodynamics, ect. All these things might make a difference.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I'm looking at picking up a '94 Kwik Kamp trailer. Next year I am planning a trip from Idaho to Alabama (about 2400 miles) and due to limited vacation time want to run it in 3 days each way (will take two weeks with the balance spent visiting/exploring retirement locations). I've done 800 mile days on a touring bike before, but not pulling a trailer. Is it comfortable running ~80mph hauling one? And just how much do they impact fuel economy at highway speeds? Thanks.
Why do you need a trailer? 80 MPH is a little excessive pulling a trailer, wouldn't recommend it.:serious:

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I have an alumna trailer. I have found out that if you go 5 below the speed limit and stay in right lane you rarely if ever have to change speeds, brake or even change lanes. Seems safer to me. Sometimes my lane is traveling faster than the fast lane. If your trying to make time just leave several hours earlier.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Does it have leaf springs or rubber torsion stub axles? 25 year old torsion Axle’s will run a little rougher than new ones would because of sag and ozone impact, to a degree. All you can do is test with the trailer once you buy it, or, if they will let you test-pull it, try it out. I’d say that if it is big and square, it will be more of a load than an aerodynamic version. That being said, I’ve followed bunkhouses at 70, but that was about it. My Bushtec ran great out to Colorado and back, running 80+. I got 36.6 mpg averaged over the entire trip, with bad gas in Iowa at 75-80+.

I now see your other post asking about the price of it. That trailer is 360# to start with. It looks like a good trailer with easy setup, great for single night setups. Keep your speed reasonable and it should serve you well.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I looses 3-5 mpg towing my Roll A Home camper. I have had it up to 600 lbs. with the cargo area full. It also depends on head winds vs. tail winds. When I have a tail wind, I get real good mileage.

I cruse at 70 mph all day long. I have done 800 mile days, but it is a long day. I normally try to keep it at 700 max. I don't recommend going over 70 mph other than small spirts. The small tires are only rated to 65 mph. You run the risk of a blowout.

·
IronMan
17,627 Posts
I have 05 kompact kamp and usually run 78 mph all day long if ya figure "average" speed of 60 mph 800 miles is real long day !!! Make sure tires are good !!!!!! Gas mileage usually around 30 mpg long as not in headwind all day . I haul a cooler and "extras " most of the time . No issues pulling but …… need more stopping space !!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts

I went cross country in 2014 and back pulling the Kwik Kamp loaded with my camping gear and clothing (Winnetka Ca- Arlington Va 2684.29 miles). I cruise at the speed limit + about 5mph. In California I was required to drive in the slow lane at max 55mph but actually 60-65mph. Once out of California 75-80 on the highway. Once cruising speed is reached it is easy to forget the trailer is there. Just give plenty of stopping distance until you get used to the extra weight pushing you when you brake. I also pull 500-800 mile days and did not notice any extra fatigue or concern with the trailer except you need to ride father into the lane to account for the extra width of the trailer. I did get buffeted around some when the big rigs blew past me but not any more than without the trailer.

I am pulling a 95 KK with a 2004 GL1800. My solo mileage went from around 40-41 to 31-32. Some of that was probably due to going from 87 octane rating to 85 at different parts of the trip. This was my first long trip pulling the KK and was very much into watching everything a little more closely. I was very much more relaxed and comfortable on my return trip home. Good luck with your KK and trip.

I even rode the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, North Carolina without any issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Electric brakes are great for shorter and safer stopping distances. I added them to my Aspen Classic after the first had to stop fast emergency, with the trailer.
Gas mileage dropped to 35-37 mpg.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I just pull my trailer to Maine (approx 950 miles R/T) last week.No problems what's so ever, TILL I SAW A NAIL IN MY TRAILER'S TIRE.. changed it once i got to my location..... I couldn't believe it stay hard and full of air..this was a three inch nail that went right through my tire.....

I now have brand new tire that I replaced yesterday....

Ronnie

Reactions: jer166

·
Registered
218 Posts
I pull a Leesure Lite Camper, I loose about 5-7 miles per gl. Its the Excel so its 54" wide, and yes I do feel it behind me and do need more braking distance, but other that my 04 pulls it just fine at 70-75 mph, but I'm really thinking of trading it off and getting a Kompack MM Camper Like Uncle John has as its smaller and lighter....

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
As you can see you got a lot of response from your question. You can bet the farm that if you pull a KK at 80mph. You are going to use a ton more gas. I don't like to tow my trailer, which is a lot lighter than yours, over 70mph because of the extra fuel used. I like to go at least 200 miles before I stop for gas and I ride tank to tank for stops. If I went that fast, I would be stopping every 160 to 180 miles to fill up. Forget about what UncleJohn said although it is true. He is one of those guys who's motto is "never mind the mule just load the wagon".>:) As for extra effort towing a trailer. I don't feel any more effort on my part is required. The longest distance I have done in one day towing my trailer is 1108 miles. I was no more tired than not towing. After all the GW does all the work. I just sit on it and point.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I've never had my KK slow me down and normally travel at 10-15mph over... I tend to load the trailer vs bike to maintain better handling. Proper weight distribution is the key. To me the biggest difference is stopping distance and fuel mileage. the KK with its' canvas tent is heavy to start with plus gear. I get 22-24K miles to a set of 4.80x8 tires w/Dyna Beads and well greased hubs. I much prefer the ride of the air shocks of my CSC Escapade over the torsion axle(stub) of the KK..but it is what it is.. a little bouncy which does transmit to the bike, but quiet. The longer you tow it the more comfortable you'll become. Just don't get complacent.....that's when things can get ugly real fast. B.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Why do you need a trailer? 80 MPH is a little excessive pulling a trailer, wouldn't recommend it.:serious:
Biggest reason is to save the price of a motel every night. And to make it a bit easier for the wife to carry her clothes! Not that she packs that much crap, she's pretty good that way. I'm also hoping it will make the nightly stops a little quicker-no looking for an affordable hotel, just find a WM and pop open the top. The days crossing the country sadly aren't going to be a lot of fun either way-that's for when we get to the end. Though realistically adding an extra 1/2 day of travel time and cutting the daily miles to 700 might make the haul a lot more bearable. 700 miles in a day is easy, as long as it's largely slab (though not much fun). 800 takes a toll. And yeah, perhaps 75 would be a more reasonable speed cap. Though on western interstates you're almost a hazard to traffic going that slow. Posted speed limit is 80, most run 5-10 over.

So far, the bulk of my motorcycle camping has been in the backcountry on an ADV bike. I've done several week-long trips on those. But my wife in particular doesn't care for sleeping on the ground, and it takes time to set up/tear down a tent and air mattress.

·
Registered
482 Posts
2 up with a loaded Hannigan Sierra (full cooler and a loaded toolbox + clothes for both of us and extra boots and shoes etc)
and the GL1800 ain't even working up a sweat and I don't tend to spare the coal. 1000+ mile days..

I actually hooked the trailer up for a year with the exception of taking it in for service (they talked me into a prepaid service plan)

I have a swivel hitch on the Hannigan (in the picture) and not on the Harbor Freight (youtube video)

and the ball and coupler binds slightly on the Harbor Freight right before the foot peg touches down
So if your a serious swervy curvy guy.. the swivel hitch is a good thing.. it does make the trailer about 6 inches longer though so (the swivel hitch also makes it where the trailer could flip and not turn the bike over with it... not that I'm looking to test that)

keep in mind it's back there, adjust your braking and make your lines just tiny bit wider thru the corners to keep it off the curb and outta the bar ditch.. plan a little more for gas and rear tires (probably wouldn't notice tire life if your a Dark Sider)

Attachments

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
79 Posts

Our 2018 DCT with two up pulling our trailer runs at and above the posted 75 miles and hour here in Texas. I have run several hundred miles this way and do not notice a difference other than at high speed it uses more gas. But I know it uses ore gas at high speed even when not pulling the trailer. I have run twice in the rain pulling my trailer. My trailer and load is not that heavy maybe 250 lbs. but two up adds weight. My little trailer pulls great so that helps.
Two weekends ago we got caught in a flood pulling and I put the DCT in rain and we swam right through, No problems. All and all I think it more about the trailer and how you pack it. Our DCT is more than able. I have never pulled a Kwik Kamp so I cant speak to how they pull.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have an '89 Kwik Kamp and have pulled it for thousands of miles without issue. I don't usually run 80MPH, but have ran 75MPH. No issues pulling the trailer. I have pulled the trailer in 500 mile stretches without issue. This was with my '86 Aspencade. I didn't have a hitch on my '15, but I did just install it. I won't pull my Kwik Kamp this year, getting a little cold to camp., I will next year.

I forgot to add the impact on MPG, I went from 42MPG two up without a trailer to 38 two up and loaded with a trailer. Worth the MPG hit.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I do not have any data on my '18 wing with a trailer yet but on my 2008 Wing;

Without trailer: 39.4 mpg

With Bushtec: 37.2 mpg

Disclaimer: With trailer was ALWAYS 2-up

1 - 20 of 33 Posts