GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time since becoming a Dark Sider, I pulled my trailer yesterday. I installed a 4 position TPMS and wanted to see how the unit worked at 70mph. What I found was completely surprising..the bike with a CT on the back acts ugly at slow speeds. With an MT, I can hardly tell the trailer is back there. With the CT, I get strong kicks as I turn from side to side.

I can't believe I would be the only one to notice this unless I'm doing something wrong...

BT 45 on front at 41 PSI
Dunlop Winter Sport 195/60 on back at 34 PSI
12" tires on trailer at 45 PSI

trailer empty...pulled before both empty and with 75 lbs of luggage.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've never pulled a trailer with my bike but that tire is a non run flat so maybe you need more pressure. I'm running 45psi in my General Gmax NRF tire.

·
Registered
673 Posts
GoIDon
My Brother and I both pull trailer and are double darksiders. I run a Kumho RF and he runs another type tire non RF And Batt 45 on the front .
I have a starlight 19 and he has a older type trailer about the same size We both can't tell the trailer back there when we pull them..
thomas

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Could it be a difference in trailer hitches?:shrug:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Pull a trailer with mine, Don't know its back there...

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I've pulled mine 2 up with a Kumho ROF and a Pirelli ROF on the back and haven't had any problems with either tire!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
If you are really running a 195 60, you don't have enough air in the tire. Stop listening to the few that run flat tires, they probably did it on their moto tires too. I run a dunny sp5000 in that size and keep 40-41 PSI in it. It makes a nice full footprint when run through water.

You could be very well asking for trouble, and not getting the full benifit of the tire with low pressure like that.

JFWIW

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bingo!

If you are really running a 195 60, you don't have enough air in the tire. Stop listening to the few that run flat tires, they probably did it on their moto tires too. I run a dunny sp5000 in that size and keep 40-41 PSI in it. It makes a nice full footprint when run through water.

You could be very well asking for trouble, and not getting the full benifit of the tire with low pressure like that.

JFWIW
The only difference between the MT and CT was the pressure...aired the sucker up to 41 and..pulls completely the same...looked back to see if I still had it.

Thanks...problem solved. The low tire pressure let the trailer pull the bike a little sideways in a tight slow turn and that's what I felt. I'm pretty sensitive to changes in the way my bike feels and may have been a little too critical. And, the additional air feels really good, one up, and no trailer too.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Glad you have it figured out. :yes1:

·
Registered
973 Posts
GOLDON,

You may consider lowering the pressure in your trailer tires. 45 PSI seems too high to me. After pulling three different trailers over the last eleven years and 100,000 miles and some experimentation I have found that the most I need in a MC trailer is about 20 PSI. Your 12' wheel and tires are probably good for a load of about 780 LBS per tire at 45 PSI and you probably will never have more than about 250 LBS (per tire) on them. You do the math. I have been running 20 PSI in my big trailer's tires and 17 PSI in my little trailer's tires with noticeably improved tire tread life.

Not selling anything here just throwing out something for you to consider.

MM

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Well Tonto, our work here is done....

(fade to black as Lone Ranger and Tonto ride Silver and Scout into the sunset...)

Cut, print...

·
Registered
268 Posts
For the first time since becoming a Dark Sider, I pulled my trailer yesterday. I installed a 4 position TPMS and wanted to see how the unit worked at 70mph. What I found was completely surprising..the bike with a CT on the back acts ugly at slow speeds. With an MT, I can hardly tell the trailer is back there. With the CT, I get strong kicks as I turn from side to side.

12" tires on trailer at 45 PSI
GolDon - Not sure what kind of trailer you are pulling but 45psi in 12" trailer tires seems aweful high. I have 12" tires on my trailer and I only run the TP at 20 - 22 psi. Just came off of a 4,400 mile ride to BC from AZ and had no issues what so ever. I have pulled the trailer a near walking speeds and into tripple digits and its as smoothe as silk. Type of trailer is a Turtle Hull. Sounds like the root cause of your issue is something other than the CT.

Ride On!

Smitty

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
<...>12" tires on trailer at 45 PSI

trailer empty...pulled before both empty and with 75 lbs of luggage.
I'll echo Smitty's comment about the trailer tire pressure.

I had a pretty decently-loaded Aluma MCT on both our May trip to NorCal & June trip to Kentucky...trailer pressures were 22-25psi.

To date, I've got about 13k on this trailer with that pressure and no issues.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Darn, I knew the answer but someone beat me to it. :yes1:

Another advantage of a RF. No need to change the psi with or without a trailer. ;)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Ditto, I pull trailer using Wintersport and have no handling problems at all.

41psi Wintersport ROF (On a GL1500 rim)
24psi Trailer Tires (Piggybacker XL, 12" wheels)

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Gentlemen.

i had the tires at 45 to rattle them as much as I could to make sure the sensors would stay in place....I haven't decided the pressure I'll run the trailer at...will depend on the load I guess. I'll keep it above 25 for fuel economy but not much.

Thanks everyone for your comments. i find that with most of the problems I've had, few though they may be, someone on the forum has encountered the same problem and is willing to share their experience.

GolDon - Not sure what kind of trailer you are pulling but 45psi in 12" trailer tires seems aweful high. I have 12" tires on my trailer and I only run the TP at 20 - 22 psi. Just came off of a 4,400 mile ride to BC from AZ and had no issues what so ever. I have pulled the trailer a near walking speeds and into tripple digits and its as smoothe as silk. Type of trailer is a Turtle Hull. Sounds like the root cause of your issue is something other than the CT.

Ride On!

Smitty

·
Read Only
853 Posts
I guess that technically speaking, I'm a triple dark sider. I just tested a CT on my GL1800, and have been running 12" CT's on my Dart trailer for a year now.

The only issue with running the CT on the bike is that the bike tends to wander downhill if the pavement has a high crown in the center. I've noticed that I'm having to push on the left handlebar ever so slightly to keep the bike headed straight. Very minor though, and am really liking the CT in every other way.

As for the trailer, I have a Timeout Dart that the previous owner installed 12" radial car tires on before I bought it. He said that the original 4 ply trailer tires would not last very long, so his son that worked for Walmart in the tire dept. ordered him a set of 12" CT's to try. They will probably dry rot before wearing them out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts