GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does pulling a trailer effect the mileage on the rear tire ?? If so how much?

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Yes!

How much, well it depends. How heavily is the trailer loaded.
Based on my experience of 50 thousand miles pulling my Aluma, out of total of 80 total miles on my 04, I would estimate that pulling the trailer decrease rear tire life by 20 percent compared to no trailer.

Also based on my experience, and that of many others, you should move over to the Dark Side. Much better performance, and much better tire life with something like the Kumho on the rear. Try it, you'll like it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I concur. I have put on roughly 17K this summer on the wing, I installed a Khumo RF on the rear and an Elite 3 on he front in April. I have towed the Leesurlite probably 4K, done the mountains and the slabs. The elite 3 is pretty much redy for a change. The Khumo has lots of life yet. I know that when I was running Elite 3's the back always wore out first regardless of trailering or not. I am going double dark next Spring.

·
Registered
905 Posts
absalutely !

BUT .. ask yourself this .. is the small decrease in tire life worth the increase pleasure of traveling without loading your wing down .. and being able to bring all the nicities up to and including (if you will) the "kitchen sink" for convenience ?

I've got a 99 Bushtec Turbo II with a little over 100,000 miles on it .. and I'm still lov'in it !

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Does pulling a trailer effect the mileage on the rear tire ?? If so how much?
I pull a Bushtec Quantum GL...to tell you the truth I never paid much attention to it.

I seem to get the same amount of wear as do others posting on the forum. That siad, tire milage can vary greatly.

Back to your question...why do you ask?
If yes, then what?
If no, then what?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I have had a trailer hooked to the wing for the last 55,000 miles. I'm getting around 9,000 on rear stones. Same as before the trailer. Although it would make sense that more weight on the hitch would increase tire wear but it doesn't seem to be much difference.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Funny you should ask this question because I just spent 295.00 replacing a fairly new Avon rear tire at the dealership. The replacement was precipitated by a puncture and belt separation, the separation was most likely caused by poor design of the tire and pulling a trailer. After following the blogs and interviewing, yes, interviewing, operators using the Kumo I have reached this decision. When running a trailer I will switch the real wheel to run the Kumo on long tours. There is a marked difference on wear when pulling a trailer, proven, but that's ok because we enjoy our trailer and the ability to enjoy touring is a direct result of having what we need on the road. Let's face it most of us paid over $20,000 for our bikes, if purchased new depending on model, so to maintain our bikes spending $250+ for tires the costs are miniscule in comparison.

So, go get your trailer you will never look back and change your tires when they start to show wear to the protect you and your investment.

Stay thirsty my friends,

Joe

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The answer is yes pulling a trailer does decrease the rear tire life. By how much depends on other factors(riding two up, acceleration and braking habits, etc).

I switched to E3's front and rear before my 7K PNW trip(returned a couple of weeks ago) and was very pleased with their performance and longevity. I pull a Mini-Mate camper when touring. My rear E3 is only about half wore out after all those highway miles. I'll be sticking with that tire for touring.

No car tires on my Wing. I'll stick with what is engineered for two wheelers. JMHO. Ride safe all.

Fred

1 - 9 of 9 Posts