GL1800Riders Forums banner

Pulling/Drifting/wander Left?

2K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  stumpbucket 
#1 ·
This has just came up tonight on way home from work. Bike has left tendency feels a little sloppy to. I just put on a new Stone on the back. The dealer was going to hand it to me with out balancing it but then he did at my request (odd I thought). I have put over 1200 mi on it since. I will check the pressure in it in the morning when I can see, I like it about 41 PSI cold. If its low could that be the culprit? Dose any one have any experience with a drift? I know my fork oil is over due. Stock suspension all around. Planning to go Trax or at least progressives this winter. Bike has 46 K I have owned it since new. front tire is in good shape. The steering dose need to be snugged but was holding off till I go all balls. I even moved my rain gear to the back seat so I have empty bags. I have a wobble at low speeds in corners to. On decell Ill get a tank slapper with out hands. (great for stirring the coffee, bad for smooth safe operation) Thanks for any insight. Please no long tire discussions I have ruined every brand out there though I have not tried the CT and prolly wont.

Gimp

#2 ·
around 30 to 40 mph she gets a wobble. I hear people put on the Centramatic they claim it goes away, been thinking about to them myself. But as the saying goes "weebles wobble but they don't fall down".

#3 ·
around 30 to 40 mph she gets a wobble. I hear people put on the Centramatic they claim it goes away, been thinking about to them myself. But as the saying goes "weebles wobble but they don't fall down".
I have had the DT's on this bike since the beginning went through all the posts and have lived with it as it comes and goes with tire changes. It will be improved with the new suspension and bearings no doubt. I like the centros and plan on adding them to the winter fix. But the pull is very unnerving. Between you and I, My hands do leave the grips now and then. If my expensive "Cold weather package" still worked I wouldn't be rubbing my hands together for warmth.

#4 ·
If you are getting wobble issues and you know you have stem-head bearing issues, it may not be a good idea to let it go too long.

If you are going to go to the All-Balls stem-head bearing setup, it makes no sense to have the standard bearings checked and adjusted.

Could be a safety issue when you don't expect it. No worse idea than delaying needed maintenance.

#5 ·
If you are getting wobble issues and you know you have stem-head bearing issues, it may not be a good idea to let it go too long.

If you are going to go to the All-Balls stem-head bearing setup, it makes no sense to have the standard bearings checked and adjusted.

Could be a safety issue when you don't expect it. No worse idea than delaying needed maintenance.
Im off to VT first weekend in sept so that is exactly what Im thinking!

P.S. I think Al Gore is circling the bowl.. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbup.gif

#6 ·
Stump,

You made two mistakes. Check your pressure when you get home from the tire mounter. Don't ride 1200 miles between checks.

I brought home a tire once that had 15 pounds in it. Running a low tire can really wear it out fast and cause it to delaminate.

Since installing Patch Boy stems, I have only had to add a pound or two to my tires since last October.

#7 ·
Stump,

You made two mistakes. Check your pressure when you get home from the tire mounter. Don't ride 1200 miles between checks.

I brought home a tire once that had 15 pounds in it. Running a low tire can really wear it out fast and cause it to delaminate.

Since installing Patch Boy stems, I have only had to add a pound or two to my tires since last October.
Good Point. I agree I always second guess the "Kids" working on my bike. However I was present wile he was filling it and saw it at 41. I am looking at RR on the head bearing this week. Contemplating some all balls if Im that far in.

#8 ·
My '04 has a weave (not handlebar shake) that causes it to hunt left/right all the time. It also leans/pulls left. Like someone else here I sit a bit to the right sometimes, other times I just ignore it.

Had 3 dealers look at it for frame, bearings anything that would cause the motion, and no joy. It was under warranty at the time.

Had a Traxxion dealer offer to fix it and he couldn't Did the full Monty, and it helped a little, but did not solve the problem.

My bike had good all-balls conversion to begin with, and has had TWO more sets installed in trying to explain this problem, no joy. So it isn't always the head bearings!

I spent a LOT of money chasing this and have decided that I like the bike well enough (bunches of accessories that I don't want to transfer to another bike that may do the same thing, and it is paid for), that I will just ignore it. Handling is better with the Traxxion, it did help turn-in and helped it stay steadier in the corners.

I put on the Centramatics as a last ditch effort to help the bike, and wonder of wonders, they are the first thing I have paid for that did exactly what they said they would do. Didn't solve the weave/wobble, but the bike is smoother, and steadier, so an improvement that I am really happy with. Plus they should never wear out, and can be put on another Wing.

I am resigned that this bike just does this, and I guess many others do too. Mother Honda, like many manufacturers with problems, says it doesn't exist, they never heard of it, and it can't happen. Well, me, several here, and others of my riding friends say it is there. Just something to get used too in my case.

My advice to others with this problem? Quit throwing money at it and trade/sell and get another bike. Won't guarantee you won't still have it, especially with a Wing, but in my case, I would have been better off.

#10 ·
Weave can be caused by the head bearings being too tight.
One thing for sure they are not to tight. Warn and have not been services in 25K. Dont think I have herd about any one complaining they have tightened up over time. I ride hard 2 up allot and not skinny. Going to pull it apart tonight.
Thanks

#12 ·
Bike is up in the air now easy to inspect. Steering feels good no notchy but swings free. If MomaHonda wants 3LBS pull Im light. I also notice some resistance near full lock on left turn and I think it is due to some cable interference from my Clicktronic Shifter, Installer error (me). My Font tire was a lil low so I filled it to 41 and over night it lost a pound or two so I am replacing it with another Stone. It was a bit cupped (less than 8k) had a flat ridge and a bigger hump on the left of the tire so all this is adding up. SO In conclusion new brakes, Fluid, Tire, Fork Oil put it back together and ride. VT on sat back Tuesday 1000 MI weekend. Will do forks and spring this winter.
Thanks for all your support I have not been around much but every time Im here its like never having to ride alone.

#14 ·
Top shelter off no wheel and Handel bars favor left a few degrees? I feel considerable cable feed back and a good amount of pressure required to keep it on the right lock and similar thoug less to move them to left loc. Either way the bars have cable bind that seems excessive. Dose this seem normal? Looking now to see if any thing looks out of place. Watch freds vids but didn't get to the 06 one yet. Only so much time at work for research.

#15 ·
ck video

Ck Fred's video where he shows how to replace the stem bearing. It show's some good pics of how the cables should be routed. There is a bracket on the triple tree that has to be removed and Fred pays a lot of attention to how the cables are routed. It very well could be your problem.

Richard

#16 ·
Rich I did watch that vid of freds and the cables look like they are in the proper clips. Just seem to have way more influence than they should. Now that I have the windshield and navi out I'll be able to see it better and hopefully see what's causing it. The last hands on it was the dealer so never know if they put it back right.

#18 ·
I had the same sloppy, low tire feeling in the rear of my 2010 with 27k. GoldwingGreg re-torqued the rear swing arm an all is good now. i was surprised at the difference.

This has just came up tonight on way home from work. Bike has left tendency feels a little sloppy to. I just put on a new Stone on the back. The dealer was going to hand it to me with out balancing it but then he did at my request (odd I thought). I have put over 1200 mi on it since. I will check the pressure in it in the morning when I can see, I like it about 41 PSI cold. If its low could that be the culprit? Dose any one have any experience with a drift? I know my fork oil is over due. Stock suspension all around. Planning to go Trax or at least progressives this winter. Bike has 46 K I have owned it since new. front tire is in good shape. The steering dose need to be snugged but was holding off till I go all balls. I even moved my rain gear to the back seat so I have empty bags. I have a wobble at low speeds in corners to. On decell Ill get a tank slapper with out hands. (great for stirring the coffee, bad for smooth safe operation) Thanks for any insight. Please no long tire discussions I have ruined every brand out there though I have not tried the CT and prolly wont.

Gimp

#20 ·
I had the same sloppy, low tire fealing in the rear of my 2010 with 27k. GoldwingGreg retorked the rear swing arm an all is good now. i was surprised at the differance.
I have seen some posts about the rear swing arm but have not seen any how toos. I am flying blind and don't have my Serv man yet. I will have it soon I promise.:roll:

#21 ·
It was to late to watch fred so I took a picture of where I was working and what fell off. I was cleaning the rt caliper and this fell from what I think was the rt break line. I looks as if it would fit on one of the BL unions. I just dont know which one it came from. .25 cents if you recognize the part. Thanks

Location it came from And this is the part

Attachments

#22 ·
It was to late to watch fred so I took a picture of where I was working and what fell off. I was cleaning the rt caliper and this fell from what I think was the rt break line. I looks as if it would fit on one of the BL unions. I just dont know which one it came from. .25 cents if you recognize the part. Thanks

Location it came from And this is the part
Spring clip for the brake pads. Fits into the upper portion of the caliper, the tabs on the upper part, the slot in the middle allows for the rotor. Shop manual shows it.

#24 ·
Thanks Guys! I thought it popped out of the caliper but wasn't sure.
:thumbup:
As I suspected I was getting some cable input but not sure how they were routed and if it was an error or not. The input was causing the steering to settle at about 15-20º left of neutral. I loosened the top bridge clam to see if letting the hoses/wires find a home wile I moved lock to lock before cinching down. It did help BUT the clutch hose was still bent to such a degree it was fighting me. I gave it a tug to find any slack and got about .5". That helped a lil more. I posted a few pics to see if any one can spot what I think is either a factory/dealer routing error. First pic is top brg bracket and it looks like the picture in the cook book so I left it. Second pic is the amount of yaw it had before I touched it (Cocked left after i pull it right past center and let go). But the third and fourth pics are of the break line bracket on the left of the neck of the frame from top and bottom. Looks like it is supposed to go through like it did but then it takes wrap around one of the break lines? Seemed like an un-necessary snake path to the clutch and I though I could just unbolt the bracket and move it but alas can not put it back behind ware it comes from with out unscrewing one of the break lines letting in air and it was getting close to 3am. If any one falls down and is looking up under your front faring take a look and see if your clutch hose dose a pirouette around the hard break line after the bracket. It was just enough slack when I wire tied it to the near by cable stay. it now finds center when you let go of the bars from either lock.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.