GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am bringing my Wing up to Nova Scotia from the States in June and want to bring my Bunkhouse camper along with it. Are there any special requirements in Canada for towing a trailer behind a motorcycle I need to be aware of? My home state does not require license plates on trailers that small but I imagine I'll have to get one before coming here just to avoid any problems. Anything else I should know?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Pulling Trailer

I am bringing my Wing up to Nova Scotia from the States in June and want to bring my Bunkhouse camper along with it. Are there any special requirements in Canada for towing a trailer behind a motorcycle I need to be aware of? My home state does not require license plates on trailers that small but I imagine I'll have to get one before coming here just to avoid any problems. Anything else I should know?

SONNY,

Call to MTO ( Ministry of Transportation ) and they can confirm what's required for your trailer.

txs, F
:doorag:

·
Canuck
2,843 Posts
Sonny;

Since your trailer doesn't have a license plate, call the Ministry of Transportation in Nova Scotia - 902-424-5851. To get to NS you'll have to travel through New Brunswick (unless you take the ferry from Maine), so you'll need to talk to MOT in NB also.

Here in Ontario MOT tells me you need a $15 trailer permit. And that is only good in Ont.

Safety chains are required.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Safety Chains! c'mon - it's bad enough they come hunting for grizzlies!

Oh! You don't mean the ones on the tire! :doorag:

Sonny, as long as your trailer has the chains and has a licence plate from your home state you should be fine.

According to New Brunswick info, non residents may operate with the trailer for 6 months before requiring local registration.

http://www.gnb.ca/0276/vehicle/english/part2_e.pdf

Here's a list of Nova Scotia tickets that you can collect :tongue:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/JUST/REGULATIONS/regs/sot-schedules/sp-4.htm

To be abolutely sure, as above, call.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Don't forget to bring all necessary paperwork for you and the bike.

Also you might want to check with your insurance company as Canada has some different laws. My company gives me a special card for Canada whenever I am headed that way. Takes a week or so for them to process and mail it to me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input y'all. See you on the road in a couple of months!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts