GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was just going through the outstanding "campaigns" for this new-to-me 2001 and it has 3 items...

'01 GL1800 Pulser rotor
GL1800 Heat Issue
GL1800 Heat Issue (ECM only)

Can someone please explain if I need any or all of these done. I am thinking I'll get the new ECM anyway, but what about the pulser rotor?

Anyone know what was wrong with the old rotor and why it should be replaced? I live in a small country town and am not sure the local combo-honda/suzuki/kawasaki/etc/etc dealer has the service knowledge to tear into the engine. I doubt they see many GL's here.

FTW

·
Registered
451 Posts
You need to do the pulse rotor recall. The rotor is like a metal wheel with protruding spokes. On earlier models, there were two large holes in them which caused some to fail. The replacement is solid.

·
Chard Member
13,045 Posts
The 01's had a few recalls. The pulse rotor, kill switch, and the factory rear tire for a possible torn bead.

Of course now we have the ECM/Coolant thing to deal with.

They just need to remove the timing cover to replace the TPR.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
FlyTheWing said:
'01 GL1800 Pulser rotor
GL1800 Heat Issue
GL1800 Heat Issue (ECM only)
Call your local dealer and ask him to look up your VIN number on his computer. He should be able to tell you what is still outstanding on your bike and needs to be done. :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Don't feel too bad.
The Big advantage the '01 GL1800 has is, NO FRAME RECALL
:yw1:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fortsand said:
On earlier models, there were two large holes in them which caused some to fail. The replacement is solid.
Thanks guys. I will get it done. I'll make this a joint answer.

Thanks Red, the tire has been done but no mention of the kill switch.

Bob Bear. Errr without putting too fine a point on it, where do you think I got the list of outstanding "campains" ?? <vbg>

LeRoy, yup, the welds look delicous, I have already checked.

FTW

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
FlyTheWing said:
Can someone please explain if I need any or all of these done. I am thinking I'll get the new ECM anyway, but what about the pulser rotor?
Honda said it needed to be done and is willing to do it for free. So you're asking us? Just get it done.

P.S. You can't tell anything by just looking at the welds. You have to go by Honda's manufacturing records to determine if a particular bike has a problem with this weld and is in the recall range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts