GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeing a lot of advertisements for the pulstar spark plugs in popular mechanics, & science magazines, has anyone tried them yet to see if they work, I am weary of their claims, but they due offer a 100% money back guarantee.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I am seeing a lot of advertisements for the pulstar spark plugs in popular mechanics, & science magazines, has anyone tried them yet to see if they work, I am weary of their claims, but they due offer a 100% money back guarantee.
What are they claiming, You can sell doggy doo doo with a money back guarantee, some folks will not go to the effort to recovery the money.. Pure profit there..

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are claiming more hp, & mpg due too a bigger and faster spark kernal

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I have some magic pills you dissolve in the gas tank. Couple them with the new plugs and you will get a .002% increase in gas mileage and almost that big a horsepower boost. Only .30 for 20 pills (plus 79.95 shipping and handling). Money back gaurantee (except for shipping and handling charges).

·
Registered
464 Posts
I just read a whole bunch of reviews and other forums talking about it. Like the Nissan 350Z forum. They clained a 5 hp gain. Now that is on a 300+ Hp engine. So if it works you'd see probably a 1.5 Hp gain.... Let me think about that.. $150 bucks plus shipping for the plugs for a horse power gain??? I think I'll stay with the stock ngk and put that $150 in the tank. Lets see about 75 gal of gas I could ride about 3000 miles...Yep.. I'll keep the ngks.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My bike runs so smooth, I thought the engine died today when I was at a stop sign. NGK plugs are great. Do I change them every 16,00 miles like the owner's manual says? Nope, I put 32,000 on the original set, then changed them foe the heck of it, but they loked good. I have 20,000 on my next set so far.

·
Love The DCT
11,789 Posts
If they were that great, the OEM's would be using them.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The coils determine the spark, not the plugs. Sharp edges on the plug's electrodes will produce a minimally better spark but that's about it for plugs. Top fuel dragsters have magnetos that produce 40+ amps. That's like having an arc welder in each cylinder. Now there's a spark!

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

If I paid 150 bucks for spark plugs on my bike you can sure bet on the fact that I will tell everyone it increased my mileage, Reduced Engine heat, Gave me piece of mind, and above all, made me better looking and more women are hanging around now....

Wanderer, Tell em how often you have to replace those plugs in a Top Fuel Dragster !!

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
What about those Iridium plugs?

I spent the mula on a set of those puppies about 25k ago and they felt like Tom says: I spent that much money on them, you bet they made my bike run better...

Honestly, I don't know...did they?...I asked my psychiatrist but she dismissed the question and proceeded to take her shirt off...'m in therapy.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know I started this thread, there is no way that I would pay that much for a plug, I always use the oem-ngk's, I was just wondering if anyone has used them, they do a lot of advertising that costs a lot of money, someone must be buying them, I am just curious about their claims.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If I weren't happily married, I think I would try a set. :joke:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Wanderer, Tell em how often you have to replace those plugs in a Top Fuel Dragster !!

About every 2,000 feet? :cool:
Actually the nitro classes, top fuel and funny cars, are racing to 1000 ft now. So they change plugs every 1000 ft. They'd change them more often but the cars are going 270 mph at the 1/8th mile. After one run, that's about 450 revolutions of the motor at full power, the plugs aren't recognizable as plugs anymore and the engine is dieseling to ignite the nitro-methane towards the end of the run.

Anyway, that's what hopping up your coils will do to plugs. You'll get a hotter spark, which won't ignite the fuel any better unless your running a supercharger, and the plugs will wear out sooner depending on how much juice the coils are putting out.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Save you money

Just run oem's . NGK's nothing wrong with since just about every Honda cars and bikes come with them.

Patrick

·
Registered
584 Posts
Plugs

Actually the nitro classes, top fuel and funny cars, are racing to 1000 ft now. So they change plugs every 1000 ft. They'd change them more often but the cars are going 270 mph at the 1/8th mile. After one run, that's about 450 revolutions of the motor at full power, the plugs aren't recognizable as plugs anymore and the engine is dieseling to ignite the nitro-methane towards the end of the run.

Anyway, that's what hopping up your coils will do to plugs. You'll get a hotter spark, which won't ignite the fuel any better unless your running a supercharger, and the plugs will wear out sooner depending on how much juice the coils are putting out.
Why only a 1,000'? what happened to the 1/4 mile? Also you have to factor in the burn out, reverse back to stage, then the staging games (if acclickable) then the actual run.
Actually I did remember the dieseling from the last time you posted this but I guess I was still off. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Why only a 1,000'? what happened to the 1/4 mile? Also you have to factor in the burn out, reverse back to stage, then the staging games (if acclickable) then the actual run.
Actually I did remember the dieseling from the last time you posted this but I guess I was still off. :shrug:
The nitro classes have been running 1000 ft since mid last year. All other classes still run 1/4 mile. There were just too many big accidents at 1/4 mile for nitros and NHRA felt they had to do something and racing to 1000 ft was the interim solution. I believe they are still trying to figure out a final solution - whether to stay at 1000 ft or change the rules to limit HP - something like NASCAR did many moons ago with restrictor plates. Personally, the racing is every bit as good at 1000 ft, they're sometimes more exciting because they tend to be closer races at the finish. And you're right, the engines do run during burnouts and idling during backups and staging. Even though burnouts look impressive, they're pretty tame on those engines compared to full throttle.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Ex-spark plugs

The nitro classes have been running 1000 ft since mid last year. All other classes still run 1/4 mile. There were just too many big accidents at 1/4 mile for nitros and NHRA felt they had to do something and racing to 1000 ft was the interim solution. I believe they are still trying to figure out a final solution - whether to stay at 1000 ft or change the rules to limit HP - something like NASCAR did many moons ago with restrictor plates. Personally, the racing is every bit as good at 1000 ft, they're sometimes more exciting because they tend to be closer races at the finish. And you're right, the engines do run during burnouts and idling during backups and staging. Even though burnouts look impressive, they're pretty tame on those engines compared to full throttle.
Thanks for the clarification. Damn, I thought the burnouts were full throttle! What are they making now, around 8,000 hp.?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts