GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried using a pump to remove the oil from their Wing instead of using the oil drain plug?

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Nope, but they make 'em to change the oil on inboards for boats so it could work.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
It is so easy to change the erl on a Wing. Why would you want to bother with a pump?

Besides all the junk, if ever there is any, lies in the pan.

I know that I am not interested.

Bulldog

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Bulldog said:
It is so easy to change the erl on a Wing. Why would you want to bother with a pump?

Besides all the junk, if ever there is any, lies in the pan.

I know that I am not interested.

Bulldog
Dawg,
I was thinking he might have overfilled it when he changed the oil and wanted to remove a little, maybe not.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
When my bike came home the first time it was overfilled. I used a syringe and 1/4" tubing to drain the excess. Once the siphon is started you can drain as much as needed. For changes I use the drain plug.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have one mounted on a 3 gallon bucket and runs off the battery. Works great for my inboard and other things as well. It may keep you from having to buy more of those expensive crushed washers.....

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
You will save a ton of money by not having to buy crush washers. You will not have to worry about messing up the threads on the drain plug.

By the way, any one know how often your supposed to change that dang ol crush washer ?? I have not put a new on my bike yet, but the bike is pretty new at age 6 yrs and almost 210,000 miles.

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
KA7W said:
You will save a ton of money by not having to buy crush washers. You will not have to worry about messing up the threads on the drain plug.
By the way, any one know how often your supposed to change that dang ol crush washer ?? I have not put a new on my bike yet, but the bike is pretty new at age 6 yrs and almost 210,000 miles.
JMHO 8)
Be careful there Tom,
At this point, the engine case has probably warped itself to match
the distorted shape of your excessively abused crush washer. :wink:
Any attempt to install a new crush washer is therefore strongly discouraged
as it can transfer severe stress to the aluminum frame,
which has been shown to cause frame cracking. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
250 Posts
KA7W said:

JMHO 8)
My '06 manual says very oil change but I think that is so they can sell crush washers.

Q

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Has anyone ever tried using a pump to remove the oil from their Wing instead of using the oil drain plug?
There has to be a harder way. How about a pump with the hose run in thru the gas tank? And to make it more interesting, change the oil with the engine running. Or maybe turn the bike upside down and vacuum it out the vent?

Using the drain plug for what it was designed is simple chicken and unimaginative.

C

·
0 Posts
Dream Catcher said:
Be careful there Tom,
At this point, the engine case has probably warped itself to match
the distorted shape of your excessively abused crush washer. :wink:
Any attempt to install a new crush washer is therefore strongly discouraged
as it can transfer severe stress to the aluminum frame,
which has been shown to cause frame cracking. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC
WHAT!!!!!!!! :22yikes:

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
I had a '01 that would suck all the oil out of the crankcase and send it through the intake within a few miles. I didn't realize the benefits at the time! LOL....

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Quincy said:
My '06 manual says very oil change but I think that is so they can sell crush washers.
My '02 manual says 'every other oil change' (on page 128), and I'm suprised they would change that spec on later bikes.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Why change the Oil? What's the benefit, it's just more Expense!

·
Registered
696 Posts
CHANGING THE OIL

LOTS CHEAPER THEN BUYING A NEW MOTOR

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sometimes I wonder. I know somebody who has a landscape company and he brags about going 60,000 miles between oil changes. His vehicles seem to get about as many miles as anybody elses.

If I tried it I would be rebuilding my engine.

Q

1 - 17 of 17 Posts