GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding to work one day I noticed a little slippage while turning in an intersection. I thought I had a flat tire. Fortunately I was at my place of employment, and when I parked my wing, I noticed a puddle of oil under my bike. Upon further investigation I discovered a tiny gash in my oil filter. I had pumped out 2.5 qts. of oil in maybe 1/4 mile. Fortunately this did not happen on the freeway. The Honda dealership said they had not seen this before. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a shield for the filter? Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Tulsa two piece belly pan cures the woes, "cheap insurance"!

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
GDM, I would inspect my tires very carefully .What ever did the damage to your oil filter could have also got your tires.Please check them!
Mick

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
tulsa belly pan

·
Registered
204 Posts
Happened to me on the interstate.... took a 1/8" screw right into the front of the filter...... Tulsa Belly pan is cheep insurance. I was lucky to have a Wing rider come along after about 10 minutes and low and behold he had a spare filter, plus oil. Was back on the road in less than 30 minutes. Now I got the belly pan and always carry a spare filter and oil.....to PAY IT FORWARD for the next rider who pierces a filter.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I have a Tulsa Belly Pan, and if one of those scars on it had been in the crankcase, it would have busted. And I put mine on after I saw another 1800 that had a hole in his crankcase - he JB Welded it.

So, Get the pan. Beats buying an engine.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Gene Krull said:
Happened to me on the interstate.... took a 1/8" screw right into the front of the filter...... Tulsa Belly pan is cheep insurance. I was lucky to have a Wing rider come along after about 10 minutes and low and behold he had a spare filter, plus oil. Was back on the road in less than 30 minutes. Now I got the belly pan and always carry a spare filter and oil.....to PAY IT FORWARD for the next rider who pierces a filter.
You must be living right!

Another vote for belly pan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts