GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you, that have experienced problems with Metzler tires, bought your tires from a dealer, while you were traveling across country.

I bought a set of Metzler 880 tires, in Arizona, while on a 15,000 mile cross country trip to Alaska, on my 01' GL 1800. The tires went bad in 700 miles, (dangerous tank slapping movement of the handle bars with both hands of the bars), and I had to have them replaced in Colorado with Dunlop E3's, (no more wobble for 13,000 miles and plenty of tread left). I shipped the tires home to Ohio, to get them replaced after returning from my trip. Now Metzler is telling me that the warranty needs to be handled by the selling/installing dealer in Arizona. This doesn't seem reasonable to me and I told them so.

Jeff at Metzler told me that it is unlikely that both front and rear tires are bad, so they said they would look at them and consider replacing one, to see if that solved the problem. If it didn't then they would consider replacing the other tire. He also said that the mounting and balancing was something that I would have to take care of. However, he said he would call me back early this week with further instructions, but has not called.

Metzler Tire is now deleting my emails, without opening them and has not returned my telephone messages.

Jeff did tell me that they are having alot of problems with people putting the wrong size Metzler tires, on the Goldwing, and having the tires fail. My tires are the correct tires and were maintained at 42 lbs rear and 41 lbs front.

Has anyone ever had a problem like this with any tire manufacturer?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Seems as though "Metzeler" is dealing with the problem, both Tire & Customer, in a not so suitable fashion.

Stay on Jeff's azz, and let him know how you are being treated.

I hear good stories and bad stories about Metzeler customer service.

Dawg

·
Chard Member
13,055 Posts
At least he took your first call. Consider yourself lucky! :)

Took them 10 months to get me a replacement set.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hello what phone # did you call??????????????? I have a # from this board & it hangs up every time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........chuck

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to Jeff, both tires are the 16th week of 06' manufactured and the front tire has a "GL" in the circle and the rear tire a "G".

I don't know what this means, do you?

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
This is very disappointing. That is NOT the way to do business! When you determined the Metzeler tires were so bad that you needed to replace them; I hope you did contact the selling dealer, who should have offered to have you mail them to him to handle the defect issue. He should have taken the risk of dealing with Metzeler. By the way Metezeler proposed to check the tis, they will never know what went wrong. Was the installation faulty? (my best guess) Were one or both tires "bad"? Thye will neer know. The issue of which tire(s) it was that casued the trouble should no tbe an issue in your case. How the H377 could you know? You were not in a positoin where you the liberty to change ne at a time and perhpas remount the first one changed-out if it happened to the the other. That should not be your concern, it was a SET of tires and if one was defective the collective set was defective and Metzeler is to be held accountble for the set! I am surprised that Metzeler would not want to have you return those tires to them at their expense and then issue you a new set. Very disappointing! I was considering Metzeler for my next set.

prs

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your suggestions. Years ago I spent alot of time in Logan and over at Chief Cornstalk, I lived up Rt.10 in Salt Rock.

I did not contact the selling dealer. I was on a cross country trip and had no history with the selling dealer in Arizona. Additionally, I was on the road and needed tires ASAP. As it was the Honda dealer in Colorado worked me in on a Saturday and replaced the tires. It got me back on the road and solved my problem at the time.

You are absolutely right, once the tires were off the wheels there was no way to determine if the installation was the cause of the tire problem. However, if it were the tires that were faulty then, I decided that it might be better if I had the tires in my possession, when I contacted Metzler, than in the possession of a dealer out in Arizona who I didn't even know. Perhaps I wasn't really fair to the Arizona dealer. I paid to have them shipped to me in Ohio. Hopefully Metzler will make it right. I'll let you know what happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts