GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Decided on tour/dct model. While I prefer pearl white color on the 18’ series, would consider 19’ color if there are other reasons for the newer model. All I can determine is that the 19’ models have a GPS upgrade which I assume is downloadable to an 18’ model.
Missing any other differences ?
Thanks. Looking forward to becoming part of the community.
Tim

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
2018 one key FOB
2019 two key FOBs

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'll be a lone voice in the wilderness.

Apart from colours, GPS upgrade and the aforementioned 2 key fobs, there are supposedly no mechanical differences between '18 and '19 Wings.

But it's well known in automotive, motorcycle and other manufacturing industries that companies 'tweak' their manufacturing processes regularly without announcing changes or altering parts or part numbers. So it's always been my belief that purchasing the newest, latest production version will potentially be the better choice, as the latest model built will likely incorporate any unannounced assembly line 'improvements.' Food for thought.

Tim

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts

Apart from colours, GPS upgrade and the aforementioned 2 key fobs, there are supposedly no mechanical differences between '18 and '19 Wings.

But it's well known in automotive, motorcycle and other manufacturing industries that companies 'tweak' their manufacturing processes regularly without announcing changes or altering parts or part numbers. So it's always been my belief that purchasing the newest, latest production version will potentially be the better choice, as the latest model built will likely incorporate any unannounced assembly line 'improvements.' Food for thought.

Tim
If you did the Jan 2019 gps update on a 2018 wing, you will have the same version as what comes with the 2019's. The Jan 2019 update is:

HG.ACM.18.11.29.08.16.00

:doorag:

·
Registered
998 Posts

Tim
Companies 'tweak' their manufacturing processes regularly, not to make products better, to make products cheaper and increase profits. Hence sayings like: "They don't make 'em like they used to."

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had this same question a few weeks ago. I went with the '18 in white. It was $1k cheaper.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had this same question a few weeks ago. I went with the '18 in white. It was $1k cheaper.
Good choice. I think of it this way: motorcycles WILL lose value so getting a bike 1K cheaper is good. But for things you don't get, you can subtract from the 1K (e.g., about $100 for the extra key fob).

My '18 non-tour had about 1424 miles and I got a good discount -- it's still new to me because I can put 1424 miles pretty quickly on a new one anyway. Plus, with '19 models around, they probably would like to get that '18 bike off the floor so it helps with the negotiation.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Minimal differences as stated. If youre after the white, buy the '18. I just saw the new Africa Twin and it has options available on it that would fit beautifully, and should be, on the GW. Id at least wait until the '20 models are announced to see if those things made it onto it. If they do, itd be worth going '20.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts