GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have read the threads on heated grips but have confusion abound. I have a 2005 Goldwing. It has "stock" grips on it currently.

When I search for "heated grips" online, the prices and options run from $65 to $250 for "Heated grips". Some are clam shell add ons etc.

In addition I have read about hand fatigue, lack of true heat transfer etc.

I have fairly large hands (6'5" tall) and I have experienced the hand fatigue on some of my day trips.

i want to make this purchase right the first time but I dont want to break the bank either. I like the chrome style grips, but would do fine without to make the purchase correct.

Also, I would like to know how the heat transfer works with different types of gloves. I typically ride with Thinsulate type gloves when the temps start dropping below 50 degrees. I ride to work every day until the slow flies which is generally late Nov/early Dec in the lower part of Wisconsin and the temps are generally 30 degrees or below.

So, all that being said, what are your suggestions.

Oh, one other thing, how quickly do the grips heat up.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I too have a 2005 Goldwing and had the OEM Heated grips installed

They heat up quickly and do get very hot. I found they work best with a "thinner" glove. Makes sense as a thicker insulated glove would work against the heat transfer from the grip to your hand.

The "clamshell" grips I have seen fit over the original oem heated grip. Not sure if that is what you were questioning.

However, when using the heated grips, I found that while the palm of my hand stayed reasonably warm, the back of my hand and my fingers would get quite cold. In fact my fingers would get uncomfortably cold and limit the time I could ride.

Thus I switched to heated gloves....Gerbings G3, and find them much superior to the heated grips. The Gerbings G3 are not "bulky" and allow (for me at least) hours of riding without the hand fatigue that a thicker glove would produce.

I have ridden for hours at high speed in freezing temps (80mph, 23F) and my hands remained quite warm with the Gerbings....and I did not have the heat turned all the way up.

While I know you are asking about heated grips.....it was my experience that did not work that well and my money would have been better spent on the heated gloves. Warm hands, no fatigue.

JMHO

·
Registered
138 Posts
heated grips

I had heated grips on my BMW and now my Goldwing. They work great but like NJREF said the outside of your hand still gets cold. I have been told for years and years how wonderful the heated gear is. Well I broke down this year and bought a heated jacket liner and gloves. They are the best thing since sliced bread. Your up front expense might be more getting the gerbings gloves but I believe you will be much happier in the long haul. You will have to buy the gloves and a controller. I would get the dual controller because you might decide to get a liner at a later time. You will not be disappointed......IMO

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I added EC grip heaters to my 03. then kuryakyn grips for a bigger diameter grip. I like the bigger diameter grip, and the heated grips work well. BUT the heated gloves are far better to really keep your hands warm. Heated grips extend your riding time, but you will still eventually get cold on the backs of your hands and fingers.

·
Registered
21,371 Posts
here is what i use and for me they work GREAT !
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm
they work great under the stock grips or any other u might want to use

they were only $25 when i bought mine many years ago, that was about the best $25 i ever spent on a motorcycle

i don't know why but some folks have trouble understanding that better insulated gloves will keep your entire hand warmer because the heat gets trapped in the glove

for cold weather riding i carry 2 different weight gloves

yes heated gloves would be the ultimate choice for long cold weather rides but i have never owned any and i ride in colder weather than most, i have Gerbings heated everything except gloves, someday i might get some heated gloves

one big plus with heated grips is they work great year round, just reach down and turn them on, no wires to mess with like heated gloves

·
Registered
425 Posts
Heated grips rock

I have heated grips on my ST1300 and will get them on my 05 wing
heated gloves do work better but you never leave heated grips home whne the temp drops at night .
Around here it can be 60 or 70 during the day and drop to 40 after sunset pretty fats and heated grips will get you home in a pinch as they are always on the bike
JMHO

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I would recommend if you are riding in below 40 degree weather that your money is better spent on gerbings heated jacket liner and heated gloves. I do not have heated grips but I have talked to lots of Goldwingers that do, they are usually not satisfied with only heated grips, however you WILL be satisfied with ONLY heated GEAR. Most folks that I know with heated grips end up eventually buying heated gloves and jacket liners if they ride in the cold very much.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You can't go wrong with EC grips in my opinion. I have the older style under the stock grips and grip puppies over the grips and they get nice and warm. Electrical connection is a great company to deal with, too.

The new grips sound like a very nice upgrade.

Hector

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Thanks all to your posts. Guess the way to go is heated gloves!

dave
I think that is a big mistake. Gerbing gloves are great when it gets cold, but say you're out riding all day and it's warm and on your way home, as the sun starts to go down, it get just a little chilly. Turn on the grips and you're done. Are you going to stop and break out the Gerbing gloves? What if you didn't bring them? Do you have a way to plug them in?

I live in Florida. I never thought I would ever need heated grips or gloves. It got chilly down here one evening and I didn't have either. I made the decision to buy a pair of the Gerbing G3's. The next time is got uncomfortable, I didn't have them with me so I decided to start carrying them in the bike all the time. The next time, I was like "Ha...got my Gerbings." I didn't have the necessary cord to plug them in, the cords were dangling, and frankly, they were way to bulky and I ended up selling them to a board member.

This year had been COLD in Florida! I finally bit the bullet and got the heated grips. Super easy to install and this past Saturday morning, the temp was in the low 40's. I put on my lightweight, normal riding gloves, turned on the grips and I was good to go!

The Gerbing gloves are an excellent choice for really cold weather, but when you need just a little warmth, the grips are hard to beat.

My $.02...

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have a 2010 Audio Comfort which has the heated grips. I had installed the ISO covers over the grips and after riding the first few weeks in the winter, I took them off. I own heated gear as well which include a set of heated gloves. You can't truly replace one with the other.

If you are the type of person who's fingertips get really cold then the gloves aren't going to cut it, you need the grips to add heat to the palms of your hand. None of the gloves have heat on the grip side (fingers or palms). Warm n Safe claims to have a set of ladies passenger gloves that have the heat on the inside but I haven't seen them anywhere and I don't know of anybody who's tried them.

I rode a VTX without the heated grips but rode with heated gloves, the heated grips made a huge difference to cold weather comfort to me when switching to the Goldwing. It's a matter of personal preference, and your tolerance for the cold. On the VTX I could go a few hours but still got home with cold hands that seemed to take hours to warm up. The Goldwing allows me to ride all day and go into the house afterwards like I was stepping out of a warm car.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
This has been a good discussion and as a result, I'm not sure that the heated gloves I bought this fall were the right decision. I don't like dealing with the cords and find them so cumbersome that for short rides in cold weather, I'll arrive with cold hands. For longer rides (hour plus) I'll just deal with the heated gloves. I find that only my small finger (pinkie) on each hand doesn't get warm enough with the gloves.

I wonder if anyone is plugging in their heated gloves at the handlebars or if everyone runs them from the cord, up the back of the jacket, through the arms, and then to the gloves? I don't have any other heated clothing and really don't want it.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
This has been a good discussion and as a result, I'm not sure that the heated gloves I bought this fall were the right decision. I don't like dealing with the cords and find them so cumbersome that for short rides in cold weather, I'll arrive with cold hands. For longer rides (hour plus) I'll just deal with the heated gloves. I find that only my small finger (pinkie) on each hand doesn't get warm enough with the gloves.

I wonder if anyone is plugging in their heated gloves at the handlebars or if everyone runs them from the cord, up the back of the jacket, through the arms, and then to the gloves? I don't have any other heated clothing and really don't want it.
There is not really a way to plug in gloves at the handle bars. For one, no control mechanism to vary the warmth. Second, as soon as you take your hands off the bars to do anything, you would have to disconnect.

I could see it now...sit on the bike, plug in one glove, start the bike. Now, try to plug in the other glove. :lol:

They only feasible way would be to either run the cords down your sleeves or get a heated jacket and plug your gloves into the sleeves on the jacket.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess most of my "winter" driving (late Oct-the snow flies in early Dec) will be short bursts to work and back, errands etc. With the additional information concerning the cords etc, the gloves dont make sense for me. My wife is a fair weather rider. Loves the bike but below 60 degrees, forget it. Me, I ride into the 20's to work as long as there is no snow.

So this brings me full circle back to the original question. if I buy heated grips, which ones do I want to compare and which ones would be "thicker" for bigger hands. A couple of people have mentioned some types, but as I look out there, I have found a variety of grips and price range. What should I expect to pay for a decent system? Is OEM the way to go or are the aftemarkets good alternatives?

thanks again, all the comments have been informative.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have the heated grips and the Gerbing jacket liner with the G3 Gloves. I have had to use both the gloves and heated grips on cold mornings ( below 25). I don't care much for the gloves with the cords, both cords have broke at the base of the connector. I believe it is from pushing the cord back up into the coat so not as much air gets in between the cord and jacket. This is the 2nd season for the gloves. I may switch to heavy mittens and use the heated grips.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts