GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, after reading a review of OF's someone posted a link to recently I was wondering if anyone has used this filter and would care to give me a reivew. I know filters ain't rocket science, but this one got much better reviews than most. Yep reviews are subjective......that's why I seek more opinions. this filter is a "microfilter" and I'm wondering if this may somehow hamper the flow within the filter having more or finer passageways for the oil to return to the crankcase.

Opinions welcome, but looking for reviews of users of this filter specifically. I think I may try one.

thanks,

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
If it did, we would never know it. All the filters have bypass valves that open if the filter plugs.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hadn't thought of the bypass........so then the worry wart might question....... Does all this "microfiber" cause the bypass to stay open excessively, and thus not filter the oil properly?

Surely they are designed to work without that happening?

I don't get the microfiber vs the non microfiber bit........is it really better or does it bypass more often?????

·
Registered
525 Posts
The Pure One filter has a lot more pleats which would seem to offer more surface area for flow. I use them and after 4,000 miles my oil is still clean and clear.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Steve, here is a link to a study made on oil filters. Read it, and likely you will go with the Pur.
Lots more filter area than some of the others, so more area will pass more junk before it plugs, even when it is finer mesh.
Still, good idea not to try to make a lifetime filter out of it.
Picture of a cut up pur at the bottom left.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I have used the Pl 14610 filter many times. It is a very well made filter. It is the same filter that fits 90% of all Honda cars on the road. The synthetic media is alot better in filtering. If you use the Pure One you get even better quality, or you could just use the standard 14610 filter.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Harry, that is the link I refered to in my first post, and what promted me to inquire about it and it's real world service. I think that was your link originally that I saw....thanks for that.

Toyo, thanks for your input.....I certainly trust your judgement given your extensive background in this area.

I am going to use one and see how I like it.......(not sure how Ican tell really except for how clean the oil stays throughout a cycle). I actually have already bought the filter recently!! I don't intend to extend the service life of my oil much past 3-4k. Just how I like to do it.

Thanks again to both of you guys,

I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Steve, I have a friend who buys the Purolator One by the case for his bikes, he has been using them for years and says he has had no problem, he even tries to get me to buy them. I just may change when I use up the Honda filters that I have.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ray, I am a bit picky about my oil and filters I use in the engines in my family's vehicles. Rebuilding and repairs is too dang expensive not to be as I'm sure you know. I like the looks of this filter and the reports I have received here and read about in the link above. I will start using them and checking the oil regularly for their effectiveness to establish some sort of idea how well they filter and if they are an improvement over other filters I've used.......I expect to find that they are......how much.....I don't know if tha can be measured by my simple means. I guess I could have the oil tested (afater it's changed).......but I have more faith inthe filter and am not really up for that much research.

I believe that this is a good one!!!

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Just send a sample of your oil to Blackstonelabs.com and they will tell you how your filter is filtering.

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
who has the time to test oil filters, and how would you test them???

you have two choices-

1)buy an oem or
2)save $$$ and buy another brand

I stay with the oem

is it better???

no way of knowing

·
Registered
525 Posts
I read the referenced link regarding the Purolator tech statement regarding not running the Pure One PL14610 on a motorcycle engine. What is typical for a "motorcyle" engine? Are they likely to have four valves per cylinder, produce over 100 Hp per liter, and redline at over 11,000 RPM? The Goldwing has two valves per cylinder, runs regular gas, produces 64 Hp per liter, redlines at 6,000 RPM with most riders regularly using half of that.

My point is .. is the Goldwing engine a motorcycle engine or is it an engine on a motorcycle. Looks to me much more like an automobile style engine on a motorcycle.

If I was riding a high reving motorcycle engine I could believe there might be some different properties required of the oil filter. Certainly the oil pump output would very more widely with rpm's in the 11,000 to 13,000 range Other than perhaps dealing with higher heat, the only thing I can think of that could be a factor is the flow rate through the filter material being restricted if the higher rpm engine boosts the oil flow beyond th.

Looking at the Calsci.com material I noticed that the same Honda OEM filter for the Wing is spec'd for a number of bikes including the CBR929RR. Now you have got to be kidding. Those engines could not be more different, yet Honda uses the same filter. So if the engines are that sensitive to the filter attributes, I would think these two engines would definitely require different filters.

We know the Pure One has much more surface area to permit flow through the media, however, it has a finer media. I did notice that the 6 holes in the OEM filter are a little bigger than those on the PL14610 so I guess that could restrict the flow a little. Filters have a spec for the PSI required to activate the by-pass valve. Calsci mentions a Suzuki filter as being 11 psi, but I did not find this spec listed for other filters. However, whatever the spec is, it is the same for the Wing and the CBR929RR.

So, in the end, I suspect this is all about money. Riders want to save it and the manufacturers want to charge double or triple for the equivalent, or lessor quality, filter because it has a motorcycle label.

BTW, the filter specs are not complicated. All there is is the filter media porousity and the surface area of the material, the area of the intake holes, and the PSI of the by-pass valve.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Gpick, You make some good points. I would say the Goldwing motorcycle has the closest engine compared to an automobile of any bike out there. If I did have one of those crotch rocket type motors that ran 14 k RPM"S I would use the oem filter just to be on the safe side. The Pureone does not have the synthetic media for flowing more oil, it uses it because it filters better, and will not deteriate as fast. Deteriation of the filter media is a problem. I have opened up alot of Fram filters that when you touch the filter media it falls apart in your fingers. Do you want that flowing thru your engine?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Best filter

We actually cut open several filters. honda, puralator,emgo fram,walmart
the honda line was the best but puralator was my second choice, , fram was junk and i have used them for yeasr but wont anymore, cardboard endcap while the rest have metal. they are all decent other than fram some with more pletes somed smaller, all in all Honda line was the best for me

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well this has been interesting. My intentions was to find and use a better filter than the Honda filter. I don't know why I thought Honda's was not sufficient......I'm sure it is.......but after seeing the documentation of the Pure One I felt like it may be better.......doa better job.......now I'm not sure. I still worry that the finer filtration may cause a starvation of oil to the engine. I now it has a bypass.......but would not want it open all the time due to starvation......then you have limited filtration!

Maybe I'm being a worry wart......maybe both filters are fine (Honda and Pure One), maybe it just it not something to be so concerned about??

I would like to feel confident that the more media in the Pure One will offer better filtration without restriction of oil to the engine, and therefore possible harm.....and i mean on the slightest level. I'm thinking now that if I keep the RPM's down I shouldn't have a problem.......hell that's no fun!!! 8) Maybe the Pure One that is not the "micro-filtration" type??

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
The old VW Beetle engines had a 'filter screen' which was a metal screen that was about equivalent to window screen. All you had to do was keep the oil changed every 3000 miles, clean the screen at the same time, and adjust the valves regularly, and the engines would run for years/miles.

·
Registered
503 Posts
steve s said:
Well this has been interesting. My intentions was to find and use a better filter than the Honda filter. I don't know why I thought Honda's was not sufficient......I'm sure it is.......but after seeing the documentation of the Pure One I felt like it may be better.......doa better job.......now I'm not sure. I still worry that the finer filtration may cause a starvation of oil to the engine. I now it has a bypass.......but would not want it open all the time due to starvation......then you have limited filtration!

Maybe I'm being a worry wart......maybe both filters are fine (Honda and Pure One), maybe it just it not something to be so concerned about??

I would like to feel confident that the more media in the Pure One will offer better filtration without restriction of oil to the engine, and therefore possible harm.....and i mean on the slightest level. I'm thinking now that if I keep the RPM's down I shouldn't have a problem.......hell that's no fun!!! 8) Maybe the Pure One that is not the "micro-filtration" type??
Snythetic means the fibers are more uniform and should be more consistent at picking up dirt,it has more filter area ,also especially if you use the longer filter.So the only way the honda would not plug up first is if it let in dirt first before bypassing.Dosen't the manual call for 8,000 mile oil changes(what honda designed the original filter for).So if you are changing at 4,000 tops ,I find it unlikely you would plug a filter with more media and less miles than what they are designed for.Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
525 Posts
This page gives good information about filters.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html#OilFilters

The following link gives a chart showing which filters are for various motorcycles. Notice that the Wing uses #5 and look at all of the other Hondas that use the same. Now, also note that the PSI for #5 is 14 PSI. The Mobil ! motorcycle filter and the Pure One both are in the same group. Purolator is not going to the trouble to develop a finer filter if clean oil can't go through it without popping the by pass open. As the article says, the by pass is ony going to come into action with cold thick viscosity oil or major league gunk plugging the filter. With proper multiweight oil for your climate the bypass will not open. EVen if it did, it would close when the oil warmed up.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

The PL14610 probably has 3 times as much media area to go through as the Honda OEM, since the OEM is quite a bit shorter and has about half the pleats. If you have serviced your bike since new and change the oil around 4,000 miles like most people, it probably doesn't matter much which filter you use. At 4,000 miles my oil is still clear. I use the Pure One because I can conveniently buy it at Pep Boys for $6.00 and I think it is a very good filter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts