GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
The old VW Beetle engines had a 'filter screen' which was a metal screen that was about equivalent to window screen. All you had to do was keep the oil changed every 3000 miles, clean the screen at the same time, and adjust the valves regularly, and the engines would run for years/miles.
Well, Phil, if you can remember that, you likely remember the bypass oil filters that did not have a filter, you just put in a new roll of toilet paper. Then, I would guess what you pulled out after 3000 miles was an oil soaked roll of toilet paper that had not filtered a thing.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I use the OEM filters, I get them from Hal, reason being, everytime I need to increase my order to $100.00 for free shipping, I add oil filters to make up the difference. Good thing is both the Wing & VTX use the same filter. :lol: 8)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Point being that very few on this board will keep their wing long enough to warrant going through all the trouble of doing all this research and oil changing rituals. I'm planning on keeping my wing until it falls apart, or I can no longer ride. Face it, there are riders that are trading every few (couple) years that could probably get by without ever changing their oil.

I see the same thing at work. We had a really bad railroad crossing that was much smoother if you just flew over it; it was raised higher than the road. It kind of had approach ramps on both sides, like Evel K flying over buses. These guys with their new PU's and suv's would slow way down and gently rock side to side going over this crossing. I would fly across it and be nice and smooth. I've still got the same vehicle, they've traded a couple times already. Today's vehicles are tougher than people give them credit for.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Re: Best filter

Dennis Elliott said:
We actually cut open several filters. honda, puralator,emgo fram,walmart
the honda line was the best but puralator was my second choice, , fram was junk and i have used them for yeasr but wont anymore, cardboard endcap while the rest have metal. they are all decent other than fram some with more pletes somed smaller, all in all Honda line was the best for me
Does Honda really make a filter or is the one with Honda name on it made by the low bidder???? Sure didn't know Honda was in the filter business!!!! :roll:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Toyo, I do respect your advice on filters but I just want to say one thing. I have said it before and will always maintain there is absolutely nothing wrong with Fram Filters.

I am 55 years old and have used Fram or Baldwin filters my whole life. Now I do use the Honda filters on my Goldwing but would not be afraid to use Fram. I also use the Honda oil..

I have driven more than one vehicle (trucks) over 100,000 miles using Fram filters and never, never had any engine issues that would be oil related. Most of these miles were accumulated pulling heavy bass boats as well.

Ross

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I do respect your advice on filters but I just want to say one thing. I have said it before and will always maintain there is absolutely nothing wrong with Fram Filters.
I have to concur. I have used Fram oil filters on my former turbo twin diesel yacht for over two thousand running hours along with K-mart or Wal*Mart brand oil! (In today's dollars, this boat costs over 30 times more than a new Wing). :shock:

When I had the engines surveyed for the next owner, the results were excellent, less than average in wear & tear and was complimented by the engine mechanic/surveyor.

Oil changes were done at 50 hour intervals, each engine required 10 quarts of oil.

I do use Honda OEM filters since I got several during a sale but continue to use Wal* Mart brand oil in my Wing. Changing oil at 8K mile intervals, with no problems here in the South Florida heat. 8)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts