GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a purolator pureone oil filter.. Check out purolators website. It warns you not to use the pure one filter. I dont want to start a war so all I will say Is read their warning. It is not designed for motorcycle engines. :eek:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Anyone using a purolator pureone oil filter.. Check out purolators website. It warns you not to use the pure one filter. I dont want to start a war so all I will say Is read their warning. It is not designed for motorcycle engines. :eek:

Their application guide calls for the ML 16817. This has been discussed many times on many forums. I know many VFR Owners who have used the Pure one PL16817 with no problem, just as many have used the orange Fram filter with no problem. That being said, there are too many other (better) filters available to use either. I wouldn't hesitate to use the PL, but Purolator is not my choice for the GL.

From their site:If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Just curious is the only difference $$$?

From their site:If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Just curious is the only difference $$$?

Purolator makes filters in three qualities, standard, premium, and Pure One. Purolator states that their premium filters capture 97.8% @ 30 microns and 85.2% @ 20 microns. These numbers are typical of a normal paper element oil filter. The Purolator Pure One filters capture 99.8% @ 30 microns and 99.2% @ 20 microns. This means the Premium filter is letting through eleven times as many 30 micron particles as the Pure One, and eighteen times as many 20 micron particles. Clearly, the Pure One filter is doing a considerably better job of cleaning the oil than the premium filter.
The way the Pure One achieves this filtering efficiency is by combining three different types of materials in their filter: paper like everyone else to catch the big stuff, and cellulose and fiberglass fibers to fill in the "large" holes in the paper with their much finer fibers.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Thanks for that warning. Am I right in understanding from this that the Wings oil pump isn't strong enough to pump oil through the car type filter?
I don't buy it. I'm sure the Pure One would work fine, but somewhere, on some motorcycle, probably used in the wrong application, someone had a failure, and now they throw up that disclaimer.

I

·
0 Posts
If you just use the Honda OEM filters, you don't have to worry about that crap.

Cost difference is chicken feed compared to the overall cost of owning your Wing. Support your local dealer, or cheap out, and maybe he won't be there when you need him.

My $.02 No change please. :shock:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
If you just use the Honda OEM filters, you don't have to worry about that crap.

Cost difference is chicken feed compared to the overall cost of owning your Wing. Support your local dealer, or cheap out, and maybe he won't be there when you need him.

My $.02 No change please. :shock:
Plus 1 IB, but you're beating a dead horse. I will never understand how someone can spend $2000 on useless chrome junk and get on this board and preach to everyone that 2 dollar Wally World filters are good enough. There is no cure for stupid.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Well I can see this warning for a Harley - they are lower pressure.

And really, I don't know about using one for a Gold Wing.

But there are a lot of folks that use the Pure One filter on their motorcycles and have good results. Ya gotta wonder though, if the Pure One filter works that much better, is it restricting oil flow in order to filter better? Or does it even matter? The oil pumps have a bypass (in case of a clogged filter) anyway.

If you go over to bobistheoilguy.com and look at the used oil analysis reports.... eventually one thing becomes evident - it seems to matter not which filter is used.

Personally I use the Premium Plus filter. Not quite as "efficient" as the Pure One but (in my mind) certainly adequate.

There are many here that use the WalMart Supertech filter or Fram or a whole list of others and have 200,000+ miles on their Gold Wings.

Last Saturday a guy on a 2002 Wing pulls into the local Harley dealer. 216,xxx miles on the bike. He told me that he uses the cheapest 10W-40 at Walmart and a Walmart filter and changes at 5,000.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Screw on a filter and go ride it.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Plus 1 IB, but you're beating a dead horse. I will never understand how someone can spend $2000 on useless chrome junk and get on this board and preach to everyone that 2 dollar Wally World filters are good enough. There is no cure for stupid.

That $2 Wally World filter is every bit as good as that OEM and then some.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
IBTrike

AMEN Brother pretty wild I'm gonna save a dollor on a filter, for a motor that will last 250-300K i never understood it either

S

·
0 Posts
Puralator One warning

And here all this time I thought the crush washer was the most important part of the oil equation....

SM
NRV, Va.
'08 Metallic Red ABS Wing, with OEM oil, filter, and crush washer!

·
Registered
126 Posts

Just because the Honda filter cost more doesn't mean it's better.
R.J.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Thanks for that warning. Am I right in understanding from this that the Wings oil pump isn't strong enough to pump oil through the car type filter?
I'm thinking they are talking about V-Twin Air Cooled engines. The reason being because they were comparing Vehicles to bikes. My GL and CBR are vehicles.
All kidding aside, I still think they are talking about air cooled HDs.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
IB Trike;
Yeah, I hear ya. I returned some parts to my dealer and they gave me a credit. No cash refunds. They went belly-up awhile later and the new owner would not accept the credit. I asked if when they bought this dealership, did he not take on the liability of the previous owner and some responsibility?

I was told to pay cash, credit card or leave.

Milpitas Honda in Milpitas, California a couple years ago.

How's that for support of a dealer to a person who bought the bike there has service there, and bought parts there. And you want me to go back?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
CBXMan, Go eat some Crow, and do a little reading.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterStudy.html

Type [5] Filters for Hondas, etc.

Bosch 3300 $6 49*.36*1 34 Nitrile Nitrile C B This is the smaller unit. Nice filter media, but not much of it. Mobil-1

M1-108 $12 43*.39*.96 32 Silicon Nitrile B B This is the smaller unit. Nice filter media, but not much of it. This was a used filter, hence the color of the media. Pure One

PL14610 $6 50*.39*2.36 92 Silicon Silicon A A This is how an oil filter should be made. The anti-drainback valve is double the thickness of any other here, and obviously seals very well. The media is the best available, and there's a lot of it. The bypass valve is made from a laser-cut piece of stainless steel, and just can't bind or jam.

SuperTech
ST7317 $2 33*.36*1.9 49 Nitrile Nitrile C B A better than average filter at a bargain price.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
That $2 Wally World filter is every bit as good as that OEM and then some.
+1 super tech is all I use. I did my research on the supertech filters and they are rated comparable to better than OEM. Now anyone that wants to pay triple or more for OEM :congrats: it's a free country(at least for now) go for it. Me I'll take the extra money and my Girlfriend and I will treat ourselves to a BIG DQ.

Fred

07 Blue Wing

1 - 20 of 43 Posts