GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks...I may soon be joining your community. I just put an 08 1800 GL HPN, level II with 10,500 miles on hold at a dealer. I have not yet done final negotiation and need your opinion. Bike has navigation, comfort audio package and does not have ABS. Has fog lights added. It is spotless. Dealer was asking 8495 plus 495 set up plus TTL. They put on new tires, flushed brakes and coolant and did master cylinder recall. He dropped price to 8000 plus the 495 and TTL. Is this a decent price??? I can purchase a 3 year warranty for 1000. Would you?

Any help on making the decision to go through with it and advice on negotiating a price would be appreciated!

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Definitely NO on the warranty. Right up front. $1,000? It's a dealer warranty, not a Honda warranty.

Other than that, if you like the bike, the price is OK. For me, no ABS is pretty much a no-go for me. Of course, I would try to talk them down more - that's just the way I am. Is there and accessory you'd like? Tell them to throw it in and you'll buy. Never hurts to ask. ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely NO on the warranty. Right up front. $1,000? It's a dealer warranty, not a Honda warranty.

Other than that, if you like the bike, the price is OK. For me, no ABS is pretty much a no-go for me. Of course, I would try to talk them down more - that's just the way I am. Is there and accessory you'd like? Tell them to throw it in and you'll buy. Never hurts to ask. ;)
Thanks for your input. I wondered about the warranty. Of course buying used and not being able to talk to the owner and get a read worries me "a little" but giving the bikes condition and price I think it may be worth the gamble.

No accessories that I want but what do you think about me asking to have the store the bike until spring for free (a $399 value?)...they winter prep and spring prep the bike for that price.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Thanks for your input. I wondered about the warranty. Of course buying used and not being able to talk to the owner and get a read worries me "a little" but giving the bikes condition and price I think it may be worth the gamble.

No accessories that I want but what do you think about me asking to have the store the bike until spring for free (a $399 value?)...they winter prep and spring prep the bike for that price.
I'd say that would be excellent! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,766 Posts

Where do you live? $399 seems a little steep to me. Put it in your garage and ride it on the good days. JMHO

Reactions: schnits

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Hi folks...I may soon be joining your community. I just put an 08 1800 GL HPN, level II with 10,500 miles on hold at a dealer. I have not yet done final negotiation and need your opinion. Bike has navigation, comfort audio package and does not have ABS. Has fog lights added. It is spotless. Dealer was asking 8495 plus 495 set up plus TTL. They put on new tires, flushed brakes and coolant and did master cylinder recall. He dropped price to 8000 plus the 495 and TTL. Is this a decent price??? I can purchase a 3 year warranty for 1000. Would you?

Any help on making the decision to go through with it and advice on negotiating a price would be appreciated!
Have you ridden it? Long test ride? 10,500 doesn’t mean anything if it’s been in a flood. Just sayin’. Make sure it runs out very well to great. It should be perfect. Sure wouldn’t want to hear that you got bit!! Just thinking what I’d do.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
$399 to store a bike for the winter? That’s crazy. Maybe I should put up a pole barn and store motorcycles for my retirement job. Going rate around here is $99 to $125. I store mine in my son’s garage for free.

Forget the warranty too. Put $1,000 in an interest bearing account. At the end of 3 years you’ll still have your money plus interest.

Did they do the brake recall?

Otherwise sounds like a decent price for a low mileage 08

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If all checks out, great price IMO, go for it.
Great thanks

I'd say that would be excellent! :thumbup:
Perfect.

Where do you live? $399 seems a little steep to me. Put it in your garage and ride it on the good days. JMHO
Have you ridden it? Long test ride? 10,500 doesn’t mean anything if it’s been in a flood. Just sayin’. Make sure it runs out very well to great. It should be perfect. Sure wouldn’t want to hear that you got bit!! Just thinking what I’d do.
Have not test ridden it. Will do that tomorrow if they allow it.....depends on whether (minnesota). I ran a VIN report and all checks out there. I felt the underside and visually inspected the bike pretty good and no signs of anything wonky.

$399 to store a bike for the winter? That’s crazy. Maybe I should put up a pole barn and store motorcycles for my retirement job. Going rate around here is $99 to $125. I store mine in my son’s garage for free.

Ha, yeah...sounds like a money maker

Forget the warranty too. Put $1,000 in an interest bearing account. At the end of 3 years you’ll still have your money plus interest.

Did they do the brake recall?

Otherwise sounds like a decent price for a low mileage 08
yeah, im gonna pass on the warranty - I have funds for repairs if I get unlucky. They did the brake recall.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Great thanks

Perfect.

Have not test ridden it. Will do that tomorrow if they allow it.....depends on whether (minnesota). I ran a VIN report and all checks out there. I felt the underside and visually inspected the bike pretty good and no signs of anything wonky.

yeah, im gonna pass on the warranty - I have funds for repairs if I get unlucky. They did the brake recall.
OOOH!! Which dealer??

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Lot of good advice. Here’s my 2 cents:
If they refuse a test ride, I would pass on the bike and look elsewhere. You need to be comfortable and confident that this is the bike you are going to purchase. I have an ‘08 and they are wonderful. Yes the mileage and shine are appealing. Yes new tires and brake recall. How do YOU feel riding it? Any troubles with shifting into gear? Any smells, smoke, leaks, noise that seem not normal? Speakers work? Horn? Reverse?
How Is the braking feel for you. Regardless of year, model and mileage etc, unless you have been on goldwings before, I would seriously not entertain paying for a ride I can’t test ride. That may turn off potential sales or friends, but I have to know what I’m getting
See if they have any or all service records from previous owner.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Tousley Motorsports
They have been upstanding in the recent past. You should do ok with them. Sounds like a nice day tomorrow, in the afternoon. Go ride that Ana-mule. Warm it up good and try to find some 70 mph roads for a half hour. Wear a good helmet and let the bike talk to you. Good luck!!! I bet you come back smiling :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lot of good advice. Here’s my 2 cents:
If they refuse a test ride, I would pass on the bike and look elsewhere. You need to be comfortable and confident that this is the bike you are going to purchase. I have an ‘08 and they are wonderful. Yes the mileage and shine are appealing. Yes new tires and brake recall. How do YOU feel riding it? Any troubles with shifting into gear? Any smells, smoke, leaks, noise that seem not normal? Speakers work? Horn? Reverse?
How Is the braking feel for you. Regardless of year, model and mileage etc, unless you have been on goldwings before, I would seriously not entertain paying for a ride I can’t test ride. That may turn off potential sales or friends, but I have to know what I’m getting
See if they have any or all service records from previous owner.
Thanks for the input. I agree that a test ride is best case scenario. I have however bought a few bikes in winter or out of state without having ridden them or the brand and have not been disappointed yet. Some bikes felt different at first of course but nothing I couldnt adjust to. Not testing has its risks for sure though so I will ride it if I can....not sure about passing on it though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They have been upstanding in the recent past. You should do ok with them. Sounds like a nice day tomorrow, in the afternoon. Go ride that Ana-mule. Warm it up good and try to find some 70 mph roads for a half hour. Wear a good helmet and let the bike talk to you. Good luck!!! I bet you come back smiling :)
Will do.....im pretty optimistic. i will keep you all posted

·
Registered
794 Posts
no ABS is pretty much a no-go for me.
This is excellent advise, all of the rest of it is meaningless without ABS. Even though, ABS may not mean anything to you now it could very well save your life, So I would think about that long & hard. There are a lot of ABS Wings out there, for very little more money. :serious:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is excellent advise, all of the rest of it is meaningless without ABS. Even though, ABS may not mean anything to you now it could very well save your life, So I would think about that long & hard. There are a lot of ABS Wings out there, for very little more money. :serious:
I get the benefit for sure. i have never had a bike with it and have had a few panic stops in my day. I am always proud of myself afterwards that I instinctively know not to grab so hard as to lock up the bike. I have practiced many times while out on the road for such occasions. I've no doubt abs would be great but I don't know about passing because of a lack of having it....I will still give it some serious thought and research it ....thanks

1 - 20 of 82 Posts