GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I bought some turn-downs for my exhausts a while back. I can't get the bolts out to remove the old OEM tips. They are rusted enough that a wrench won't even think of removing them. I used Liquid Wrench prior to trying to remove them. The bolts just sat there and laughed at me as the bolt-heads crumbled away.
Is there a relatively easy way to get the exhaust pipes off so I can drill/extract the 8mm bolts that hold the OEM tips on?
Anyone have any pictures of the easiest way to do this? I don't have a lift, but I can get a spot in the Ft Belvoir Craft Shop...hopefully.

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
Loosen the muffler clamp at the front of the muffler(s). Remove the hanger bolt under the bag holding the muffler in place. Wiggle the muffler and pull backwards.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Red! I knew one of you guys would give me a reasonable alternative. YOU DA' MAN!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Try heating the bolt with a torch, not red hot just real hot. While it is hot, whack it a couple of times on the end with a hammer. Should jar the rust loose enough to remove.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I twisted the heads off the screws with a socket wrench. The first one was by accident. After pulling the old exhaust tips off, I then pulled the entire muffler off the bike and drilled the screws out of the nut. BTW the nut is welded inside the muffler. Then I used a thread chaser to smooth out the threads. The new screws went in easy a can be. Oh yes I put some anti sieze compound on the new ones. I did this on a 2002 with about 30,000 miles on it. The entire process took about two hours including going to the hardware store to buy new screws.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the good info. I'm planning on doing it this weekend. Hopefully, it will look better for Hendersonville. Mine is an '02, also. It's got 72,500 on it. I don't get out much. LOL!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts