GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as much as I hate to do this, I need to start thinking about getting my bike ready for the long cold winter(we do get lots of snow). This is my first winter with it, so I have a couple questions I am hoping you can help.
First off, I have a heated garage that I will keep my bike in.
I have a battery tender I will put on it too. I am hoping to be able to take it out if there are any nice days over the winter months.

1. Do I need to put a gas stablizer in the tank?
2. Should I keep the bike on the center stand and if so, do I have to prop the wheel up?
3. Is there anything else I should do?

Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions you might have.

Loren

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah, ship it to me, i'll ride it this winter and in the spring, i'll ship it back LOL :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know what you should do. I keep mine in an unheated garage. No battery tender, nothing in the gas tank but gas, and on the center stand so my truck doesn't hit it. I keep it covered to keep the dust off. Almost every month there is a nice enough day to take a trip around the country side. This will be my third winter. There have been no letdowns yet.

I am not that much farther south than you. It gets cold here too.

Al in NW Indiana

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
lorenedopp said:
Well, as much as I hate to do this, I need to start thinking about getting my bike ready for the long cold winter(we do get lots of snow). This is my first winter with it, so I have a couple questions I am hoping you can help.
First off, I have a heated garage that I will keep my bike in.
I have a battery tender I will put on it too. I am hoping to be able to take it out if there are any nice days over the winter months.

1. Do I need to put a gas stablizer in the tank?
2. Should I keep the bike on the center stand and if so, do I have to prop the wheel up?
3. Is there anything else I should do?

Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions you might have.

Loren
Sounds like your on the right track to me. What I do is clean the bike up, make sure the fuel is full (I personally have not used stabil, up to you), connect my Battery Tender Plus, put it on the center stand and cover it. I keep mine ready so if I get a warm day with no salt on the roads I can go out for a spin to chase away the PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) blues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts