GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the subject says.....will I need to do more drilling?? What will I need to do for the install? My 1800 came with the Honda FFE so I really don't know what went into the install. Anyone else done this? I just got a chrome front cowl and don't want it to get it pitted and dirty!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
No drilling of the fender, but it does require drilling on the new extension.

Question is: Once you remove the Honda FFE does the fender look good ie. no scratches, etc.?

The Honda FFE mounts to the outside of the fender while the Bushtec FFE mounts to the inside of the fender. Holding the Bushtec in place, drill thru the fender holes made for the Honda FFE.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Falcon it is very easy to install.....The directions that come with the Bushtec explain the installation both ways....if you already have a FFE or if you don't. I finally got around to doing mine yesterday and I installed the fender support kit also. My front fender is still here in the house so it can cure for the 72 hours in the warmth of the house... :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bushtec FFE

Make sure you install the Bushtec FFE support or you will run the risk of your fender cracking. Mine is cracked because I installed prior to the support being available. I am in the process of trying to get it covered under warranty.

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
The Hondaline was installed with doublesided tape on the rear and the screws you see on the sides. When I replaced mine it fell off when I removed the screws. You might have to work at removing the glue from the fender left by the tape.

·
Registered
787 Posts
When I removed my Honda FF extension, it had lots of sand packed between it and the fender. Be careful you don't scratch the fender while removing it. If the large patch of double sided tape is securely fastened to the back of the fender, heat it with a hair dryer and work it loose with a strip of dental floss. You don't want to damage the paint on the fender.

If you go with the Bushtec FF extension, the fender must be removed. The fender brace which is highly recommended, takes 72 hours to cure at 70 degrees. This would be a good time to install the chrome lower cowl as it might be a little easier with the fender out of the way. ( Less risk of scratching the fender)

Before you remove the stock lower cowl, you may want to protect the top of the timing cover with tape because it is very easy to scratch it while wrestling with the cowl.

I can fax or email the Bushtec instructions to you so you know what to expect. Let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts