GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually hang out on the VTXOA forum however I have a question that may be more relevant here.
I currently own (and ride) a 1986 Suzuki Cavalcade, basically it was Suzi's attempt at the Goldwing. I must admit, I enjoy the Touring style a lot more than the Cruiser style, esp since most of my riding is 2 up and 100 mile minimum.

Here's my question:

After reading various forums I decided to install a CT on my Cavalcade. With a 15 x 3 inch rear rim, I am very restricted to the type of tire I can run. I have a BF Goodrich Radial TA 155 80R 15.

On the front I have my existing Dunnie D404 130 90 16.

The biggest issue I have is that the bike becomes unstable 50 mph + At 80 it is dangerous - speed wobble. Never had this problem with the bias tires.

Is the problem due to my mixing of Radials and Bias Ply tires? It seems that the VTX guys are mixing them with no bad side affects.

Would like some input from the touring guys.

BTW: I have ordered a Radial Tire for the front, a Supermaxx 130 70R 16 since my 404 is getting close to worn out.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
973 Posts
ozzie65,

Speed wobbles can have many different sources and sometimes it is hard to figure out what the real cause is. I would dismount that car tire and see if the wobble goes away. I would also check the steering neck bearings, swing arm bearings, wheel bearings, rear shocks and front forks for excessive play. On some bikes a change of shock absorbers can have an effect. I would also check the rims for runout as well,

Good luck, I hope you can get it figured out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mad Meteor, I guess I should have added the following:

I have replaced front springs with Progressives and my right rear shock (air adjustable) has leaked all of the oil out. (New set just arrived)

The rims are true.

The wobble seems to originate at the bottom of the front wheel, if that makes sense? It feels as though the front wheel is moving sideways back and forth across the road surface, whilst the rear is solid. This is what makes me think it may have something to do with mixing tire types.

In hindsight, one mod at a time!

I certainly value the input from other riders, thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
I have been mixing bias and radials for years and so far I havn't had any problems, however tire size can be an issue - what I have found basically is that bigger is not better.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I was wondering how the 15 inch rims would work with a CT.

The first thing I notice is you have an aweful tall tire. That much sidewall relative to the width of the tire might be a problem. I've had issues around 100 mph with wobbling coming from the rear tire. I had to work at twisting the bike around to make it happen - hard turns and fast shifting combined. Also, my GL1800 has a tendency to start buffetting over 115 and the CT seems to make it worse. The good news is, standing on the brake slows the bike and stops the problem.

Without good direct testing, we're not sure, but the consenses seems to be run-flat tires with stiffer sidewalls are more stable. 'Not sure if they are available for you or not.

You do have a few 145/65R15's to choose from. They are not run-flats but I'm betting they would work better. Go to www.1010tires.com. They have a size search where you can just put in the parts of the size you want to search. I entered 145 for the width and 15 for the diameter and got three hits.

Also, I use a snow tire more for heavy rain and very slick conditions. I figure if siping and can help on ice, it should hlep a little on oil - although siping grabs the tiny crystals sticking up on ice which oily asphalt doesn't have. Oh well, any advantage helps!

Let us know how it works with the new front-end parts.

·
Registered
223 Posts
ozzie65, great bike you have there. I had an '86 Cavalcade too and still think it was one of THE strongest engines on a motorcycle that they ever had. What color is it, I had the gold one. Sometimes I wish I still had it, I miss the power it had, I went up Wolf Creek Pass without shifting out of 5th gear, and that pass is a pretty good grade.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts