GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fred and/or Fellow Goldwingers:

I followed Fred's DVD instructions on reparing the Reverse Switch by taking it apart, cleaning, greasing with silicone, and replacing it. It now works like a charm.

I think the Cruise Control Switch is stuck on the "ON" position and I want to do the same with it as I did with the Reverse Switch. However, I'm stuck on trying to remove it. The gold plate, in the Switch compartment, that attaches to the handle bar is in the way. I took the screws out but cannot remove the plate. It there a trick in removing that in order to get to the Cruise Control Switch?

In addition, I want to do the same with the Emergency Lights Switch as it sticks quite often. How is it best to remove that Switch?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

CW32B
Alexandria, VA

·
Vendor
21,423 Posts
It's been awhile since I was in there, but I think the cover plate comes out, maybe it's just stuck on and needs to be coaxed? It may have some tabs on one side, so it might sort of "hinge" out on one side. I can't really remember, it's been to long since I took it out, and I have slept too many times since then.

The best way to get to the flasher switch is to unplug the large connector for the left side control box with the headlight adjuster, and remove the whole control assy so you can put it on the work bench and then go after the switch. You can also do it on the bike, but it's just one connector and one bolt to remove the whole box from the bike.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don't remember having any dificulty accessing the cruise switch when I cleaned mine. Here is Fred's site for cleaning the reverse switch

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/reverseswitch

To clean the emergency hazard switch remove the left panel where the switch is located. Remove the black cover off the back of the panel and remove the switch. I didn't dismantle the entire switch. I did enough so I could spray an aerosol cleaner/lubricant onto the contacts and mechanisms. It works great.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Fred

I'll play with the plate a little more and see if it'll come out.

Thanks for the quick reply, and the good information on the Flasher Switch.

CW32B
Alexandria, VA

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks GoWing

I think I might have enough information to move forward. Thanks a bunch......

CW32B
Alexandria, VA

·
Registered
41 Posts
My cruise switch is stuck on as well, can you share any more information on your success with the switch?

Thanks - Rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts