GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Vendor
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I worked at a Chrysler/Plymouth Datsun dealer in the mid 70, on the Chrsler/Plymouth side, we did "quality control adjustments," similar to what is shown here, but at the dealer, and prior to delivery. It was all part of "new car prep" !!! The piece of wood to adjust door/hood gaps was a common practice. I still remember my shop forman coming over, after I'd spent probably an hour, trying to loosen a driver's door hinge bolts, he comes over with a 2x4 to pull the front door edge farther out to match the back of the front fender. While he looked at me with discussed, he was done in seconds.

However, on the Datsun side, other then unwraping the floor mats, and installing them, airing the tires, and checking the fluid levels, the Datsun's came off the boat, all done and ready for delivery.

At least back then, the video probably very well represents a foreign made car. I wish I had others showing how poor the American quality was back then.

·
Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
77 Posts
I too remember when a bodyshop manager came to my bay with a large hammer and large block of wood. A few solid hits later and the door lined right up. "Bend it." LOL

·
Vendor
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ugh This brings back memories of my 1974 Plymouth Duster. What a POS
LOL ... it sure was, and it came that way right from the factory. Chrysler has serious financial troubles then, and their cars showed it in everyway possible. Because of emission laws, they also ran poor too.

Reactions: spummerr

·
Registered
8,635 Posts
My first brand new pick"em"up truck was a 1973 Dodge with three speed on the column.....(I was 23 yrs old then) WOW has time changed, sometimes I'm not quite sure if it's even for the "better" though..........:cry::sleep::unsure:

WOW good memories though!

Ronnie
8/2/22

·
Vendor
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Are you insinuating American quality are/were crap?🤯🤯🤯

O.k, I buy that. Maybe that's why I gave up buying American vehicles🤔🤫
The quality of American cars is by far better today then it was back then, but when comparing a Ford or Chevy to a Toyota or Honda ... the cars from Japan are still better.

Here is a true story. Keep in mind that JDPowers keeps score of things like a new car buyer returning for his 1st service (its a 90 day score), and if that first service is accompied with a warranty complain, each complaint counts as 1 point. In the mid 70's, Chrysler probably would have been in the 7-8 range ... possibly higher. With todays QC most manufactures are in the 1-2 range. Note ... I still remember the day when a customer picked up his new Imperial, and the next day he returned with 13 complaints.

Anyway in my mind, back in 2017, I was trying to decide on a new F150 or a Tacoma, and one day I was sitting in the back seat of my GF's fathers 1 month old 2017 Impala. She was in the passenger seat asking her dad if he'd taken it in yet for the seat-track issue he'd been talking about. He says no, and also says there was something else wrong with the door, and the rear armrest that I had my arm on. As I'm listening, I adding those up ... A THREE DOT "O" ... I didn't even think they made THREE DOT "Os" still.

Of coarse a Chevy is not a Ford, and a Ford not a Chevy, but in my mind his 3.0 represented the American manufacture. Here's what his 3.0 ment to me ... multiple returns to the dealer to get them corrected. This is likely to happen. Her dad's gonna take it in for its first oil change, and those 3 complaints. Parts will be ordered ... trip #1. However, because one of those complaints, the armrest, had something to do with an uppostry issue, when he returns to have the new parts installed (trip #2), chances are the wrong uppostry or color was ordered, and a reorder is done. On trip #3, the armrest issue is finally address ... 3 trips !!!

So while listening him tell her about his new car's various issues, at least in my mind, the choice of getting a Toyota instead of a Ford was made. As far as JDPowers and my Tacoma, mine scored a "0" during its entire 3 year warranty period.

Reactions: Ratster

·
Super Moderator
9,287 Posts
Exactly where are all these high quality Datsuns and other foreign little cars from the 70’s ? …… Just don’t seem to see them driving around.….. kind of a head scratcher if you ask me if all the hype is really true.
My uncle had a 1960s Datsun car in the early 1980s. He'd always say "don't sneeze around my car, you'll put a dent in it!". When I was 16 he offered to give it to me. I turned it down. Took another couple years before I finally bought my own car.

·
Vendor
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The question is.

Do you use a OEM Toyota oil filter on your Tacoma?
Not sure, but buyer beware... this is what I learned.

Hopefully my Toyota dealer is not like a Honda m/c dealer. At the Honda powersports dealer that I get my parts from, if there is any aftermarket service parts made, such as batteries, oil filters, bulk oil, sparkplugs, brake pads, etc, that is usually what they use. Which works out great for me ... if a Wing then comes here, with lets say a brake squeek complaint, and they want that issue fixed, they'd leave with non-OEM parts removed, and new OEM pads installed. Unfortunanly for the customer, he has to pay twice, the dealer, and then me, to get rid of his brake squeak.

I do have Toyota do all of my services, with the exception of wiper blades. I did have them recently do a front brakes ... and guess what ... I now have front brake squeek, which I never had with the OEM pads. But one does have to be very carefull with Toyota, because on some of their parts, they try and compete with aftermarket pricing. Which means they have 2 levels, or lines of quality, and both come with 2 levels of pricing. For example, about their 2 levels of quality until I'd continued trying to get OEM wiper refills. Mine were a couple years old. They never had both sides in stock, so I asked "how much for new blades." New blades where something liek $30 for a set. I cleaned my windsheild, instlled them, and was always wondering what was different about then. Installed correctly, and a tab stuck up higher then normal, and when it rained, they cleared, but not great. I reinspected to make sure their rubber edges were sharp, that they flip over like they should, but could never figure out what was wrong with them. After about 6 months, I called to replace the set with another set, when the parts guy made an erronious comment about how their aftermarket ones, that come with Toyota emblems molded into the plastic, are packaged in Toyota packaging, were basically garbage, and not refillable. OH ... so that's what I have !!! How much for the real OEM ones !!! New, correct, real Toyota OEM blades, like the ones that came new, like the ones I threw out, and were refillable, I think were more then $80 a set. I now have those ones, and have since replaced the refills.

As for my squeeking front brakes, my bet says my new pads are "original
'aftermarket" Toyota pads, that probably say Toyota, and came in Toyota packaging," but they are not the real Toyota pads like the ones from the factory. I would have been willing to pay much more for the real ones, that probably would not be squeaking.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The quality of American cars is by far better today then it was back then, but when comparing a Ford or Chevy to a Toyota or Honda ... the cars from Japan are still better.

Here is a true story. Keep in mind that JDPowers keeps score of things like a new car buyer returning for his 1st service (its a 90 day score), and if that first service is accompied with a warranty complain, each complaint counts as 1 point. In the mid 70's, Chrysler probably would have been in the 7-8 range ... possibly higher. With todays QC most manufactures are in the 1-2 range. Note ... I still remember the day when a customer picked up his new Imperial, and the next day he returned with 13 complaints.

Anyway in my mind, back in 2017, I was trying to decide on a new F150 or a Tacoma, and one day I was sitting in the back seat of my GF's fathers 1 month old 2017 Impala. She was in the passenger seat asking her dad if he'd taken it in yet for the seat-track issue he'd been talking about. He says no, and also says there was something else wrong with the door, and the rear armrest that I had my arm on. As I'm listening, I adding those up ... A THREE DOT "O" ... I didn't even think they made THREE DOT "Os" still.

Of coarse a Chevy is not a Ford, and a Ford not a Chevy, but in my mind his 3.0 represented the American manufacture. Here's what his 3.0 ment to me ... multiple returns to the dealer to get them corrected. This is likely to happen. Her dad's gonna take it in for its first oil change, and those 3 complaints. Parts will be ordered ... trip #1. However, because one of those complaints, the armrest, had something to do with an uppostry issue, when he returns to have the new parts installed (trip #2), chances are the wrong uppostry or color was ordered, and a reorder is done. On trip #3, the armrest issue is finally address ... 3 trips !!!

So while listening him tell her about his new car's various issues, at least in my mind, the choice of getting a Toyota instead of a Ford was made. As far as JDPowers and my Tacoma, mine scored a "0" during its entire 3 year warranty period.
Thanks.

To me, JD Power is like Neilsons. They never ask me and I could care less about their ratings.

I used to be a Chevy & Pontiac car/truck guy UNTIL I got my 1st Toyota Corolla and Tundra...need I say more?

As for bikes, it ALL been Japanese bikes since I was a kid with dirt bikes.

I asked my step dad for a HD 90cc mini bike and he shot it down without blinking his eye.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Remember, the OEM's assemble parts made by someone else. Bean counters will always try to save production costs. Nishinbo makes a large portion of the brake pads used by the Asian car mfrs. (First company I've ever worked at where there were signs on the walls in the washroom showing the warning signs of cancer 😬). Their pads all used the same materials for a given product line, but they did have different levels of pads, cheap to $$.

When we did component testing for the OEM the domestic mfrs tested for 100k cycles, the Asian tested for 150k cycles. The Asian reps made comments regarding the cheapness of American components. Sadly, the playing field has leveled out somewhat, and not for the better...

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
ugh This brings back memories of my 1974 Plymouth Duster. What a POS
I had a 1970 Duster. Biggest rust bucket ever made. Front fenders only lasted 3 years until the rust came through the top of the fenders. No inner fenders. Plus the paint peeled on the rear around the tail lights.

·
Vendor
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Don't you remember posting this?.

View attachment 405760
No, sorry I don't. Should it have meaning ... maybe you can remember why I'd wrote it, and what it was all about ??? A link might help, but I'll probably not click on it, after all, it was 10 years ago, and for all I know, I was answering a question from 5 years before that.

We used to have another member who would troll old threads, it seemed like he would catalog them, and then years later he would bring up old threads, as if trying to throw them in someones face. I get the feeling that you're trying to do the same ... are you ???

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Not sure, but buyer beware... this is what I learned.

Hopefully my Toyota dealer is not like a Honda m/c dealer. At the Honda powersports dealer that I get my parts from, if there is any aftermarket service parts made, such as batteries, oil filters, bulk oil, sparkplugs, brake pads, etc, that is usually what they use. Which works out great for me ... if a Wing then comes here, with lets say a brake squeek complaint, and they want that issue fixed, they'd leave with non-OEM parts removed, and new OEM pads installed. Unfortunanly for the customer, he has to pay twice, the dealer, and then me, to get rid of his brake squeak.

I do have Toyota do all of my services, with the exception of wiper blades. I did have them recently do a front brakes ... and guess what ... I now have front brake squeek, which I never had with the OEM pads. But one does have to be very carefull with Toyota, because on some of their parts, they try and compete with aftermarket pricing. Which means they have 2 levels, or lines of quality, and both come with 2 levels of pricing. For example, about their 2 levels of quality until I'd continued trying to get OEM wiper refills. Mine were a couple years old. They never had both sides in stock, so I asked "how much for new blades." New blades where something liek $30 for a set. I cleaned my windsheild, instlled them, and was always wondering what was different about then. Installed correctly, and a tab stuck up higher then normal, and when it rained, they cleared, but not great. I reinspected to make sure their rubber edges were sharp, that they flip over like they should, but could never figure out what was wrong with them. After about 6 months, I called to replace the set with another set, when the parts guy made an erronious comment about how their aftermarket ones, that come with Toyota emblems molded into the plastic, are packaged in Toyota packaging, were basically garbage, and not refillable. OH ... so that's what I have !!! How much for the real OEM ones !!! New, correct, real Toyota OEM blades, like the ones that came new, like the ones I threw out, and were refillable, I think were more then $80 a set. I now have those ones, and have since replaced the refills.

As for my squeeking front brakes, my bet says my new pads are "original
'aftermarket" Toyota pads, that probably say Toyota, and came in Toyota packaging," but they are not the real Toyota pads like the ones from the factory. I would have been willing to pay much more for the real ones, that probably would not be squeaking.
Front/rear disc brake squeaks can usually be fixed by applying a bit of hi-temp brake lubricant to the back of the pads. I live by a simple rule: “never pay someone to do something I can do myself.” I get really pissed when I’m forced to pay a “professional,” and then I have to redo the work the “professional” did.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts