GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please don't be a dummy like me. Look at your accessories very very closely.

Everyone would like to think that every time you buy accessories that the accessories are going to be in near perfect condition. Especially with the cost of accessory these days.

I have spent a little less than 1k dollars on Kuryakn accessories for my '06 GL1800. 2 out of the 10 Kuryakyn accessories have had noticeable pitting in the chrome.

One thing that I have learned after all of these years and one of the reasons I don't normally put a lot of accessories on my Goldwings Is all coming back to me now.

Never install chrome accessories in the lighting of a garage like I did. 2 times out of 10 you may find flaws in the chrome only after taking it out into the sunlight like I did.

As good as Kuryakyn chrome has looked on other peoples Goldwings I just knew I had to have some of those bling blings.

20% is not a very good percentage and I would hope that my case was an isolated one. The real hassle lies in having to package accessories back up, notifying the supplier, waiting for a replacement and then finally getting credit for the defective accessory(s).

When I get all of this settled I think that will be it for me.

Good luck to everyone else, and your overall experiences with chrome accessories.

·
Registered
353 Posts
i have been tring to stay away from the BLING . i have not seen any chrome that i like . i would want to get something that i do'nt see on everyones bike . no such thing . show chrome is cheap. and looks cheap. i am going to powder coat my wheels black .
and a little air brush . and i am done .

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
You're mistake wasn't in ordering the bling. That's a personal choice. Nor was it in buying Kury products. Your mistake was in not inspecting the merchandise before you took it out of the plastic.

Regardless of what you buy or where you buy it, check it out first. If you can't inspect it without removing it from the packaging, don't buy it.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tom,
you haven't looked at very many chrome accessories through the clear packaging. Some of the chrome flaws are hard to see in direct lighting much less through the reflective surface of the clear packaging on some accessories.

Most suppliers usually don't have a problem with you taking it out of the package, they had just rather you inspect it closely before mounting it.

In both cases, I failed to see the pitting in the chrome until I got it mounted and in the sunlight.

Littlejoe,
I'm with you. As I mentioned in my original post I now remember why I didn't install a lot of accessories on my other Goldwings. My first new Golwing......a new 1982 Aspencade, I got suckered into it as my pictures will testify but after that, no more until now.

Shame on me. It looks like I've been suckered again.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Think you would have to take a plane or a boat to get to the origin of most of the chrome made for a wing.

Sorry to say that Kury is probably the best we have available to us in chromed ABS plastic.

I guess if I wanted real chrome, I would have gotten a Harley or Yamaha that has some real nice triple chrome available.

Any idea what a dressed out Wing would weigh, with real chrome on it? Damned Wing would look and move like a pregnant Armadillo.

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Where have you seen a pregnant armadillo? :)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Bulldog said:
...Any idea what a dressed out Wing would weigh, with real chrome on it? Damned Wing would look and move like a pregnant Armadillo.

Bulldog
I think a more descriptive term might be "Hondapotamus" :lol:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sounds like another prime example of why I am a proponent of the LIMNCS.

I have added no chrome, but am adding accent colors by changing out my molding with a candy black cherry color. I've also added the fairing intake vents from Road Trip Essentials, also in the candy black cherry color.

I'm painting my lower cowl, Passenger board covers, passenger step covers and pivot covers black. Though I might change some of them out later for candy black cherry parts from Road Trip.

Some of the guys on the Two Egg trip saw the molding I had mounted so far. They had positive comments. Not sure if they were being polite or they really liked it. :wink:

Dep

1 - 9 of 9 Posts