GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just learned this morning that Queen Wilhelmina lodge on hwy 88 out of Mena will be closed for up to 18 months for an extensive remodel project. The date for the closing is December 1st, 2011. Thought I would pass it along.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure what all is planned, it must be a lot to take a year and a half. Jim

:shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Mathers Lodge at Petit Jean State Park has already shut down; scheduled for reopen the end of May 2012.

Renovation.....I hope some of the history is not lost.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Really guys? I never stayed there, but the restaurant looked straight out of 1985...nothing wrong with that, but doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
It was in the local fish wrap that a 12-1-2011 close date and 15 month total renovation would open it up for the spring 2013 season.

I hope they do a nice job.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Really guys? I never stayed there, but the restaurant looked straight out of 1985...nothing wrong with that, but doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.
I've ate in a restaurant or two back in 85, the 1985 food was good in 1985. If they was serving 1985 food in 2011 I would question my sanity for eating it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Basically they are going to build a shell approx 6 feet outside of the present building, gut the inside and start over. An elevator will be installed to make it ADA accessible. The present building is wood frame and the new exterior will be steel framed. The lodge has had both water leaks and condensation problem for some time with accompanying mold and mildew. I will miss the large fireplace that will be deleted.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Jim

I travel there every year the weekend after Labor Day for the Queen Wilhelmina Hamfest. Our radio group always meet for lunch at the lodge on the Saturday of that event. When I first saw your post, I thought oh no (!) we already have reservations for Sept. 10th, then I noticed the date of the closure. I guess we will have to make other plans for 2012 though.

I usually pick up a friend in Saline County that's blind and I pull the 5th wheel up and camp each year but this year, since another friend from here in Clinton cancelled and my blind friend was able to get a ride from one of the Benton Hams, I will be taking up a little smaller space in my camper parking spot! I am going on my GW and using a tent just to have a change.

If you have time ride up and visit. I'm going up next Friday (the 9th) camp that night and return home Saturday afternoon. My Ham Radio call is N5YU and will probably be the only Caliente Red GW, Escapade Trailer and tent setup in the 5th wheel area? Just for a different twist this year!:thumbup:

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Might take a ride to Iron Mountain(home of the CMA) and take a look while there. Just a few miles from Mena.
There is also a small eatery in Hatfield that has many, many kinds of home made pies, including several sugar free kinds that are the best there is;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the thread. I love this forum.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Basically they are going to build a shell approx 6 feet outside of the present building, gut the inside and start over. An elevator will be installed to make it ADA accessible. The present building is wood frame and the new exterior will be steel framed. The lodge has had both water leaks and condensation problem for some time with accompanying mold and mildew. I will miss the large fireplace that will be deleted.

Just got back, the fire place is going to be moved but not deleted in the lobby. In additon, (4) rooms will have fire places, up from the (2) that currently exist.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts