GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but didn't find too much about the Quest 2. I have a 2610 but want to pick up something that can be portable and is still waterproof for use on the wing.

I'm thinking about the Quest 2 but I've read some posts that said it was very slow giving you directions. For example if you had two turns in somewhat quick succession, you'd miss the second turn by the time the Quest 2 told you to turn. I've also read it was slow recalculating routes if you went off route. Again, by the time it gave you a new route, you were already by the first turn.

So my question is, is there anyone currently using the Quest 2 that can comment on the above. I know there have been several software/firmware upgrades since the intruduction of the Quest 2 and these could have helped performance.

Any info is appreciated.

Steve

·
Registered
289 Posts
Quest II

Mickey

Have you used the Quest on battery? How long will it go before it needs to be recharged or new batteries?
Can the display be read in bright sun, cloudy day, etc?

If you just use it to show where you are at the moment, can you zoom out and see surrounding roads in detail for a good distance around you? Or does it loose small roads and only show major roads when zoomed out?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have both a Quest and a Quest 2. The Quest is much faster at calculations vs the Quest 2. You can speed up the Quest 2 by turning off map area's you don't use. It can also be set to quickest calculation, but that does not always give the best route. There are in between settings. The brighter the sunlight the easier it is to see. On battery without the backlight it will last up to 20 hours. External power always uses the backlight which I think makes it easier to see, both day and night.

When zoomed out it looses local roads, same as every GPS I have seen.

My 06 has the Honda NAV, but I still use my Quest. I have it set up so I can use either the Garmin MC mount with pawer and pluge it into the AUX for voice nav or I can use my ram mount and the supplied speaker plugged into my aux 12v outlet.

Hope this helps.

G

·
Wingman,

I was the one who posted the things you quoted about the Quest II.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67748&highlight=

I followed the suggestions they gave me and it helped a lot. I still use the Quest II and it has some very strong points (I had posted those here in an earlier post):

- Screen is easy to see when using with the proper mounts
- Can use with our without the battery. I have had it on all day for a 982 mile ride (16-17 hours) on one charge. It charges easily overnight and runs all the next day.
- I like being able to move it easily between vehicles using different mounting methods and only moving the unit itself. On the bike i just pop it out of the cradle and heave it in the trunk for security.
- portability is nice. I once took it out in a boat on a lake i had never been before, marked the dock as a POI so it could take me back to the right spot. I haven't used the pedestrian mode, but I've read where it works well.
- Overall, I still like it a lot and would buy it again. The only time the speed is a problem is in the city when you're making a turn each block, which isn't really that often. I guess I'm just driving too fast in that situation (I've heard that before from other people- I tend to go pretty fast).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quest2

I have used the Quest 2 for over 1 year. I believe I understand its strong and weak point.

Strong points: small, great screen, long battery life, waterproof, holds multiple tracks, 10 K point tracking, Firmware version 2.4.

Weak points: small, a little slow, can loose satellite tracking in cites with tall building and in dense woods (can be fixed if needed with external antenna), newer firmware 2.5-2.8, 2.8 firmware is needed for city select version 8 and it is terrible.

If travel via airplane a lot and want a unit that can be thrown into your briefcase and is not dummied down, its a great unit, but only if you use firmware 2.4, all the other versions are terrible. Overall it works great for me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Taz and Gar, thanks for the responses. Taz, can you elaborate on what you've done to speed up the Q2. Is it stuff like turning off maps your not using and updating firmware ?? Anything else ?

Gar, it sounds like your pretty much using yours "out of the box". I don't go into the city much but do have an external antena both on the bike and in the car. I've found the improvement is amazing. Other than firmware upgrades, are you doing anything else to speed things up. I've read on gpspassions that the reviews on v8 and the new firmware upgrade aren't great. I'm running version 7 on the 2610 and I'm happy with that. I'll probably wait until at least version 9 before I upgrade again. There's also a new firmware upgrade for the 2610 that only addresses CS V8 issues so I'm thinking there's no need to upgrade to that firmware version either.

Again, thanks for the info.

Steve

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wingman,

I have upgraded the Quest 2 firmware each time Garmin has come out with an upgrade. Each time I have been very disappointed with the performance and have downgraded to the older version of the firmware. I believe that the current "out of the box" unit have 2.8 and will not work well. But that there is a fix by downgrading to the older version 2.4.

WingmanGL1800A said:
Taz and Gar, thanks for the responses. Taz, can you elaborate on what you've done to speed up the Q2. Is it stuff like turning off maps your not using and updating firmware ?? Anything else ?

Gar, it sounds like your pretty much using yours "out of the box". I don't go into the city much but do have an external antena both on the bike and in the car. I've found the improvement is amazing. Other than firmware upgrades, are you doing anything else to speed things up. I've read on gpspassions that the reviews on v8 and the new firmware upgrade aren't great. I'm running version 7 on the 2610 and I'm happy with that. I'll probably wait until at least version 9 before I upgrade again. There's also a new firmware upgrade for the 2610 that only addresses CS V8 issues so I'm thinking there's no need to upgrade to that firmware version either.

Again, thanks for the info.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts