GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a brand new left over 2003 Gold Wing. The question I have is about the frame. After reading the post about the cracks it got me thinking. I looked up the re-call numbers and my bike did fall under the re-call area. I called the Honda customer service number and they were very helpful in telling me they would check into it and call me back. Within 10 minutes I got a call from them telling me that it was fixed in September of 2003 by Honda before the bike was shipped. What I didnt understand was the girl on the phone then told me there was also a re-call for the over heating problem that I would need to take it in for service. Now I guess my question is, wouldnt you think Honda would have fixed the ECU (I believe is the name) while they had the bike for the frame fix? If they didnt, wouldnt you think the dealer that I bought the bike from would have made the repair before they sold me the bike? Maybe I am looking at this wrong but I cant understand why they would sell a new bike knowing I would have to bring it right back to a Honda dealer for a repair.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The ECM replacement is done for those that wish to have it done. It is your option.

·
Registered
230 Posts
03 wing

Just my two cents, If the ECM and radiator check was done,Honda would have it in there computer.If you have any doubts ask your dealer to check their computer and they will let you know if it was done on that bike. Hope this has been some help......Jim

·
Registered
227 Posts
The overheating recall is thought of as "optional" by a lot of people. It is possible that they wanted to let the customer decide if they really want that fix. Or, they thought they might be able to get by without the extra expense to Honda. :?:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, please fill me in on this a little. So this over heating re-call is really more by choice? That would help me understand why they wouldnt have just change it.

Jim Ciampi...

I guess you have thrown me off a little. I was on the phone with Honda. I was told by Honda to take it in for the new part. I know the dealer didnt do it because I watched the bike come out of the crate. It was late this past Saturday so they did the prep filled the gas tank, added some oil and did a 3 miles test ride and gave me the bike.

Now I love this bike. If the frame is fixed thats fine with me. I was just a little confused over the factory telling me to take bike that is less than 5 days old for a repair.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted to add I posted this just after HardBall had writen what he wrote. Thank you all for the quick responces.

HardBall

I also have a KLR650.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
03Candyorange,
Go to the Honda Service Info message board on this forum. The last issue listed is regarding the ECM. The last page of the document is the customer letter. Hope this helps you.
Mikey

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
When they do the ecm recall, they put a punch mark under the serial(?) number on the lower right side of the frame, behind the engine cover.

·
Registered
279 Posts
New 2003

I have a 2002 GoldWing and have received both the WELD and ECM replacement. Honda adds an additional 2 year warranty on the basic three year warranty for your loss of sleep. My Honda Dealer did the warranty work and I have no complaints. Get the ECM's replaced and enjoy your new ride. You will soon discover that the GL1800 is an awsome bike.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know it depends on how busy the dealer is but does the replacement take them long? We all meet at a dealer on Saturday along with many other people and they have a mechanic that will jump on small repairs for the "regulars" on Saturday. I was wondering if the ECM is something he can do pretty quick.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
03CANDYORANGEWING

Congrats on your new Wing. I have a 03 Candy Orange myself. I chose not to have the ECM replacement done. Why?... I have ridden this bike just like I have ridden all the other dozen or so street motorcycles I have owned and have ridden it on the same roads and my Wing doesn't overheat. My temp gauge has never rose above the mid point of the gauge....not even in 97 degree stop and go traffic. So I fiqure why fix it, if it isn't broke.

I have read that some aren't happy with the ECM change out...some have reported that they felt the bike loss a little power in the bottom end with the ECM change out.

Why not just put some miles on your new bike... see how it runs and then decide if you want to change out the ECM. If it doesn't overheat why fix it? You have till 2006 for the ECM change out if you really want to do it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Roadie

Good idea. I dont have a lot of miles on the bike..yet. I have only been in traffic that was slow one time. It was only for about 5 minutes on the interstate. The temp never went over half on the gauge. It was 85 degrees. I will wait and see what happens.
I just bought this bike on Saturday and I knew about the frame problem but never read a lot into it. I figured they had it fixed. So for the frame problems I have read about so far I still am not going to worry about the bike. This reminds me of Chevy truck gas tanks blowing up when hit in the side. From the reports I would read you would think they had been blowing up all over the country. I never did read a report where one did blow up. I like this bike too much to put much worry into it. I figure if something happens then I guess it was my time.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Javern said:
:?: why would someone NOT want to get the overheating recall done? :?:
Hey Javern, the ONLY reason I got my 03's ECM changed was because I got free labor on an air filter change. It never O/H before, & believe me I tried. I wasn't crying the sky is falling over the frame issue either. But when my mechanic looked at the frame an saw a crack wide enough to stick a dime in, well that's when we ended up with the 04.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts